2012 PASSAT Issues

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I have an SEL.

Issues I have:

1. sounds like there is clumped up residue in the fuel tank. which makes a banging noise when initial move from stop is made. Dealer says nothing can be done. Probably hearing fuel sloshing, or maybe the adblue sloshing.

2. Sometimes I smell a odor, maybe the ad blue, but its not a diesel smell, this happens when car is stopped at certain times and the air circulation is not on. Perhaps what you're smelling is the DPF regeneration, which generates high heat. The odor will probably go away after several regens, as the painted area around the DPF "cures."

3. I get rattling noise quite often at high speeds, not sure if its because I have abused the Fender system and now the tweeters are loose. It comes from passenger side (not sure if its the passenger door issue commonly discussed).

4. Clicking sound from the light switch. Seems like it happens mainly when in Auto mode and it sounds almost like a light turn signal for a second.

5. Oh, lost the little VW cap on the rim for the SEL. I got to see where to get those, may need a few for the future.

6. Not a big fan of the alcantara. Buit I did find some decent cleaning products for it and just got to keep it clean. Would you mind posting what you've used to clean the Alcantra? Thanks.

The dealership (Downtown Los Angeles VW) was pretty much useless in trying to solve these issues. I just put up with it as I'm happy to have a large comfortable sedan that is fuel efficient. Spent alot of time in the Jetta waiting for an upgrade.
Responses above in red...

filfy

TDI
2003 Jetta and 2012 Passat
Thanks for the input tdiatlast,

As for the fuel sloshing, is that normal? I don't ever remember any car of mine doing that. So nothing can be done?

The Alcantara cleaning shampoo is AutoGlym Interior Shampoo. Saw it on a detailing forum and it removed a few faint spots that weren't coming off with alcohol and water. My interior is a light tan and I am finding lots of little marks here and there. This has been helpful so far. This is not one of the official recommended products by Alcantara, but it seems to work fine. I bought it locally here with quick shipping.

AutoGlym

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
There have been fuel tank noise complaints with the 09-10 CR TDIs. Under certain conditions (with my 09), usually for me when the tank is 1-2 gallons less than full, I hear the sloshing.
With my 2012, I hear occasional fluid "thumps", sounds like it's slapping the sides of the tank. I'm not sure if it's the fuel or the adblue.

Thanks for the Alcantra cleaning advice. I'll give it a shot.

Paulsfin

TDI
2012 vw passat tdi
Same here, with a Samsung Galaxy 2S, noted in another thread. Bluetooth opens up the music play app automatically, and my bluetooth setting is unchecked.

I also have a ticking sound when I apply the brakes first time I back up, then when I apply the brakes again going forward, most noticeable doing 3 point turn arounds in tight driveways.
I love my dealership. Thumbs up to bud brown vw in Olathe ks. The brake noise is being caused by the pads not fitting tightly in the caliper. It isn't a safety issue nor should it affect rotor life. They ordered a new set of pads which will be put on when I do an unscheduled 5k miles oil change at their cost.

elsid

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Just bought a used 2012 Passat TDI SEL. So far so good though only had it two days. It already had 26k miles on it, but I figured no big deal with a diesel. This is my first diesel ever, and my second Passat (overall my third VW).

Other VW owned:
'82 Rabbit (4 speed manual)
'04 Passat (family grew so go rid of it after 18 mos, dumb move!)

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
I feel kinda silly *****ing about this car since it is the nicest I've ever owned, but since that is what the thread is about I will go ahead. :)

I have an exhaust system rattle when I go down the hill from my home in 2nd gear, around 2500 rpm. Since that is the only place I hear it, it just makes me smile. A quirk I can live with. It would be annoying if it happened all the time.

A trim ring in the dash reflects off my window so that I see its image when I look in the left rearview mirror. That's kinda dumb; I'd rather that part was black and not see it in the mirror.

That's really about it. I have some general *****es about over-complication; for example who needs the thingy to prevent the car rolling back when you have a perfectly accessible hand brake? These extra features can give trouble when the miles build up. But I understand that's where the market is; just don't have to like it. At least I got a car without a moonroof which irritated me (due to leaks) on my old B4.

2012PassatTDI

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Hey all. Got my 2012 Passat Tdi with 2 miles on it in august almost 2 years ago. It now has almost 47,000 on it and unfortunately I have had it with the car.
The dealer is great and the fuel econ is amazing but the car has spent months at the dealer for so many problems I will not spend the time to list. As of right now It's going on another week the car has been there. The car has a major electrical fault that causes engine lights and various other lights, alternator not charging, traction control light to come on, o2 sensor codes, brake codes, the list is endless. The dealer has replaced thousands of dollars in parts and the Lights come back. I would love some feedback as to what to do. I don't want to go through a lawyer or lemon law because I think we will get more if the dealer or VW is willing to buy the car back. I would buy a brand new tdi again. I hope the dealer can come to an agreement with us on what to do with the car. My wife does not feel safe driving it anymore as it has had these problems since it has been 3 months old and nothing has been resolved. My sister has a 2013 passat se gas and only had had little issues. Our car lives at the dealer.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Without listing the history of what is/was wrong and the efforts made to repair, it will be kind of hard to tell you anything. Ask them to buy the car back and get a new one. Failing that the LL or lawyer may be needed. You may be too late for the LL anyway. 2 years and 47k miles is a long time.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
Sounds like 2012PassatTDI should be covered under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, regarding lemon law. Despite the car being two years old, and with 47k miles. If the dealer can't fix it in a reasonable amount of attempts, and the car is still under the manufacturer's warranty, then there is a Breach of Warranty claim. This is Federal law.

If they have tried to repair the same issue(s) 3 times, or more. Or, if the car has been out of service for a total of 30 days, or more. Any Lemon lawyer would probably not hesitate to accept this case, as it seems cut and dry. VW would have to compensate the owner. Legal fees are paid by VW.

Explore the options. Making car payments on a car that you aren't even driving is not cool.