transmission

philll

TDI
passat
is it the transmission or torquer converter that goes bad. or does one go bad that make the other go bad . on the 05 Passat. and if you changed the trans fluid evert 40.000 could it last to 500.000. thanks

Rimrack

TDI
2000 jetta 1.9
Transmission problem 2000 jetta 1.9

Been neglecting VW diesel all
Summer and want to get it ready for winter use. Replaced both transaxles last year. When shifting into reverse car "bolts" rapidly. Have to hit N or i will run through the shop. Engine seems to be idling high. Read book and cant see how to reduce idle? Also when shifting into R it grinds a little... ????

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Summer and want to get it ready for winter use. Replaced both transaxles last year. When shifting into reverse car "bolts" rapidly. Have to hit N or i will run through the shop. Engine seems to be idling high. Read book and cant see how to reduce idle? Also when shifting into R it grinds a little... ????
Post your own new thread. It's the right way to get the best amount of help.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
is it the transmission or torquer converter that goes bad. or does one go bad that make the other go bad . on the 05 Passat. and if you changed the trans fluid evert 40.000 could it last to 500.000. thanks
No one can predict the future. Regular fluid changes should help, but there are no guarantees.

Summer and want to get it ready for winter use. Replaced both transaxles last year.
Huh? Your car only contains one "transaxle". (Do you perhaps mean "drive shafts?")

When shifting into reverse car "bolts" rapidly. Have to hit N or i will run through the shop.
Sounds as if the torque converter lock-up clutch is remaining engaged. Why that would be the case ... requires the experts to diagnose. It could be internally binding, or it could be the control valve commanding it to remain locked when it shouldn't.

Engine seems to be idling high. Read book and cant see how to reduce idle?
It would sure help to know exactly which make, model, and year that we are talking about here. But, assuming it is a VW TDI engine, the idling speed is electronically controlled and is not adjustable. What IS the idling speed?

Also when shifting into R it grinds a little... ????
Again, it would sure help to know exactly which make, model, and year. But this symptom is consistent with a torque converter lock-up clutch that is remaining engaged when it shouldn't.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
When shifting into reverse car "bolts" rapidly. Have to hit N or i will run through the shop.
I agree with GoFaster, TCC is probably stuck on. Could be TCC solenoid stuck or the Valve stuck. Best course of action is to pull pan and inspect, break open the filter to look for signs of metal failure. If its clean replace the TCC solenoid and while the TCC solenoid is out stroke the TCC valve to make sure it isn't sticking.

Engine seems to be idling high. Read book and cant see how to reduce idle?
What does "seems" mean. Either its idling high or its not. I think all these cars had a tach. Whats the idle at? Or is it that your car is "bolting" so you are assuming the idle is high?

Also when shifting into R it grinds a little... ????
This might be the TCC stuck on also. Sometimes when TCC is stuck on it Vibrates the car, and sometimes it makes the clutch chatter so bad it makes noise. But maybe you have a major failure too that is making noise. No way to know through a forum post.