FHN 5spd, can't engage 5th

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Passat wagon TDI 5MT
It's still there, it just won't go in, like hitting a wall. Every other gear is good.
Yesterday I had an issue with 3rd hitting a wall, but just once thought it was a fluke.
So far, (prior to any issue) I've bled the clutch line and changed the fluid to sintofluid (I did get a small one two crunch when cold, which immediately went away)
I am surely not familiar with this transmission, but am capable of getting under it.
Any ideas?

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
where did you get the transmission from? Im thinking about a five speed conversion but Im wondering how one would inspect the transmission prior to installing.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Other than bench shifting and draining oil to look for excess debris you cant really test them.

These transmissions are usually bullet proof but are over 10 years old now. Synchros are soft sacrificial parts and bearings wear.

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought it this way. not messed up, swapped already.
Maybe just a linkage issue?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
There is linkage adjustment. After making sure you mounts are all good.

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
They appear good to me. I was recently under the car searching for a suspension clunk. Everything looks good and is tight. I suspect a or both strut mounts are bad. I remember paying almost as much for those additional items (all four corners and hardware) as I did the coilovers on my Jetta!

I have been chatting with Frans about a turbo upgrade and asked him what I could do.
He suggested I adjust the shifter mechanism under the shifter knob, just two allen bolts. Sounds easy enough! I'll check that out later today and report back

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I think password has a good write up on adjustments, it's for a gasser but same shifter components