www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Old September 19th, 2019, 14:13   #1
sbbamafan

Default New Q5 TDI recall???

Who knows what this is about? I got a card that says I have a recall. I went to the dealer and they said it is for a couple of sensors and an ECU flash and that it will take a couple of days. I scheduled it for Monday. I can't find anything about it online. Does anyone know anything?
sbbamafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 16:27   #2
Midwesthick
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A6, Q5, Golf
Fuel Economy: 32+

Its for a new DPF, relocated O2 sensor, and ECU reflash.

Nothing crazy and all good stuff.
Midwesthick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 16:39   #3
AndreiMTM

TDI(s): 2014 A6 TDI

Midwesthick, did you have it completed yet? Curious if it changes anything about the car. Have an appointment this upcoming Tuesday but depending on how long it takes, not sure if I'll be able to leave it if they don't provide a loaner car.
AndreiMTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 08:01   #4
Daemon64

Fuel Economy: 6211 Miles - Avg on Computer 29.4 MPG

Someone else in the other thread reported back that they notice no negative difference at all. I asked them to report back after a couple hundred miles to see if anything else is up... haven't heard on that. I am waiting to get it done on my q5 as well.... dealer doesnt have adequate parts supply yet...
Daemon64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 15:23   #5
sbbamafan

Default I found the paperwork....Emission Service Action 23Z8

It is the same thing you other guys said. I also did some research online. Some of the people in other forums said that the performance was restored to more like their cars were prior to the 'fix'. I have an appointment Monday morning.

From what I have read this seems to take about a half day but the dealers here in Atlanta take your car for 2-3 days but I don't mind since I will have a loaner.
Old September 29th, 2019, 08:45   #6
sbbamafan

It took the dealer 4 full days. I got the car back and see all the new parts behind the turbocharger. It doesn't seem to drive any differently but I haven't really had it long enough to put any real miles on it to be certain. I'll keep you posted. FWIW - I had a new A5 while mine was in the shop. It was fun and somewhat fast but I didn't love it. I would not buy one.

Quite frankly, I am done with Audi - not so much because I don't like my car but I really don't like any of the dealers in the Atlanta area. I have had much better relationships with virtually every other brand I have ever owned. But this is a different rant for a different day...
Old November 3rd, 2019, 06:26   #7
CHDriver

Fuel Economy: 29.5-mpg at 66K-miles

Recently had my 65K-miles service done on my 2014 Q5 TDI and the new recall service. And, just returned from a 1,000-mile road-trip - mostly interstate at an average speed of about 75mph. The result was pretty good. Overall mpg was 32mpg! Strangely enough my last fill-up was with the "new" Exxon diesel fuel, which resulted in 33.5mpg.
It appears to me that the recall has helped not hindered the car's performance. FWIW.
Old November 3rd, 2019, 08:46   #8
Daemon64

Fuel Economy: 6211 Miles - Avg on Computer 29.4 MPG

I had mine done about 1 month ago... and I noticed a slight power / response increase. A little better mileage maybe .5 mpg over 3 tanks with hand calculated numbers.... so yeah totally worth it.
Daemon64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 21:05   #9
rt_hawk
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-TDI, 14, highway-7.3 PSD, 8 to 15- 08' 6.4 F250, 32.9-Triumph Tiger 1200XCA, 18 to 24- 11' Audi Q7 TDI

They do new up pipes and flex pipes? Turbo gaskets and etc etc?? Mine are starting to seep a bit, since they are all emissions I could take it in, but then I need to reflash to stock...
rt_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 08:30   #10
viper550

Fuel Economy: Winter 49-51mpg Summer 51-53mpg with Jetta. 33-34mpg Q5

I had my AEM-C done on 10-30 it took 2 days due to a sensor not being in stock.
After the correction was completed I noticed an increase in throttle response and a slight reduction in turbo lag.
However after I got my Q5 back I went on a 900+mile trip to visit family and when I arrived I smelled diesel fuel. When I opened the hood I saw fuel sprayed on right side of engine cover and engine.
I called audi roadside and had it towed to nearest dealership. Turns out the HPFP is bad and everything is covered by extended warranty. Now just waiting for the last 5 days for it to get fixed.
I'm sure glad I decided to wait to do anything to my vehicle that would void that extended emissions warranty. It has covered thousands of $ in repairs in my first 35k miles of ownership.

2015 Q5 TDI S-line
Daytona Grey. Fixed and Corrected
viper550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:03   #11
sbbamafan

Okay - I have now driven it a couple of months and probably 3000 miles or so and I wanted to be sure of a few things before I posted. I notice no real difference in how it drives but there are two negative side effects. First - I am getting some definite diesel smell inside the car and I NEVER had this before. Second, my mileage is down substantially. I used to always get about 500 to 525 (if not more) miles on a tank and now barely 400 before need to fill up. I am not happy with this.

I went to the dealer on Friday and told them of this and how it started when they did the update and they are going to take it in but I don't think they plan to give me a loaner or accept responsibility for this. This goes back to my frustration with the dealerships.... I have an appointment for Monday morning but they are acting like it is just a new issue even though I told them otherwise.