Unofficial 2016 MKIV Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Suggestion Thread

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Hey fellas, I recently replaced my pads and rotors on all 4 corners of my MKIV, and I got to thinking that I would create a more recent, up-to-date thread for me and others to share their brake pad/rotor setup and impressions.

A set format might be useful, so please use the following.

Brake setup: (stock or otherwise)
Pads: (brand)
Rotors: (brand/size if not stock)
Impressions: (first impressions, comparisons, long term results, etc.)

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Brake setup: Stock MKIV TDI

Pads: TRW

Rotors: Zimmermann

Impressions: I've only had the pads/rotors on my car for less than a week but so far, they're the best pads I've had. I've heard that they are supposed to be an OEM replacement. They are leagues better than the Mintex Redbox pads they replaced. I would heavily advise against Mintex Redbox.

Cold bite is great, warm bite even better. I wouldn't expect to do any track days with them but I drive the Missouri backroads spiritedly pretty much every day on the way to and from work and I just can't say enough about the pedal feel and just how well these pads perform for a daily driver. It feels so good to have regained confidence in my car if I were to even need to stop in an emergency situation.

The TRW pads came with a warning that said not to use the brakes heavily for the first 150 miles. I've heard and read that you are supposed to bed the pads when they are new, which I usually do, but this time I did not because I figured the pad manufacturer probably knows better than strangers on the internet. Not bedding the pads seems to have worked just fine, brake performance is great and I see no ill effects from not using the brakes heavily within the first few hundred miles.

I've not had them long enough to comment on dust levels or longevity, but I will update this comment in a few months if I remember to.

Last edited:

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. The brake pads currently in my Jetta make lots of dust, which is annoying... looking for low-dust pads that are suitable for daily driving.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
My front rotors came from idparts, but I don't know the manufacturer, and the Abekeno ceramic pads came from Advance Auto via special order. I originally had the semi-metallic pads all around, but they were very dirty. I am very pleased with the cleanliness of the ceramic vs. metallic. The rears I redid in the Fall for the third time because the rotors were coming apart. Ceramic pads also, but from O'reilly. I needed them right away. Both rear calipers were sourced locally also. They take a beating from the salt.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
One of my reman calipers from autozone must have been from up by you JB05. The thing looked like it was brutally corroded before they resprayed it on the inside.

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
Zimmerman or Brembo rotors, with any quality premium ceramic pads, and proper installation. Buff hub face and check run- out, clean and lube pins and slide areas.