Installing the Panzer Plate with full metal jacket

trackrabbit

TDI
2002 VW Golf
Yesterday, I installed my Panzer Plate with fmj. It went pretty smooth except that I stripped one of the riv-nuts, the rear passenger side. It seems to get pretty tight before it gets loose so I think it will be OK, at least until I get another surge of ambition and drill it out and replace it.

My advice to other installers: Use a torque wrench on at least one of them so you can get an idea of what 30 ft. lbs. feels like. Or, if you are pretty strong, use a 3/8 drive ratchet instead of a 1/2. The riv-nut is made of a softer iron or steel so it can flare out inside the beam, but it will get plenty tight enough to do the job, just be careful not to overdo it.

Also, when I installed the 4 riv-nuts that hold the front supports, I used a mirror and a small flashlight to make sure the flange on the riv-nuts are flush with the frame before I tightened them.

All in all, it goes on pretty easily if you follow the instructions. Everything fits, a well-made accessory. I would recommend it to anyone.

Airstream

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta; 2010 JSW
I had the same experience a few weeks ago. Stripped one rivetnut but the rest went smoothly. I need to drill it out and replace...great product