Diesel Fuel Additives

zhills

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, White/Gold Titan black int. 18" black VW Wheels.
Hi, I am new to the TDI forum, but have been reading here since I bought my new 2010 Jetta TDI. I was not able to find an answer to my question in the FAQ page so thought I would post.

I have been using Lucus fuel conditioner and injector cleaner for years in my diesel work trucks, as well as in my fuel injected gasser cars, also we have run it in all our Heavy Equipment, Friction Cranes, (Detroits and Cummins) and front end loaders, dozers, etc. At Work! It has always kept the injected fuel systems clean, and in my opinion gave better fuel economy.

Would Lucus do the same for my new 2010 Jetta TDI?

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
Not familiar with the product, but if you want to use it, make sure it is ULSD compatible and compatible with your Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF).

Anything you put into your car must be Ultra Low Sulphur and low ash, that includes lubricating oil (VW Spec 507), as well as any fuel or fuel additives.

Loading up your DPF can lead to big repair bills down the road.

P.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Read your manual. Don't think use of additives is allowed.

For your gasser vehicles, if you use a major brand of gasoline, you don't need additives. Think all the majors run the tests and pass the BMW fuel system cleanliness test.

Not sure about diesels, but I'll bet the majors elect to pass some sort of fuel cleanliness test.

In 31 years of running Benz diesels, the only time I ever used additives was twice in our 240D, once when we first bought it with 22k miles and once after being stored for 4 1/2 years, for constant speed pinging at 40 mph. Chevron Techron D stopped the pinging in both instances.

Not using any additive in our 2010 TDI for sure.

zhills

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, White/Gold Titan black int. 18" black VW Wheels.
Seems to be the opinion of the posters to this thread that a diesel fuel additive is not needed, That is good enough for me! I really enjoy my new 2010 Jetta TDI. Thanks for your reply's!