In progress TDI Road trip: NH to Mexico!

Highline

Veteran Member
TDI
None... for now.
My Jetta TDI and I just entered Massachusetts and are en route to Cancun, MX!

The plan calls for a trip to Mexico City afterwards and possibly Acapulco.

Live forum posts from the Blackberry!

lose2abmw

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I would love some serious border crossing, insurance, and registration details when the time comes. Great trip plan.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Ha, I am moving over to Hooksett at the end of the month and was in Playa Del Carman last febuary (I flew though).

You plan on doing anything to run on Mexican Diesel? Are they all ULSD? additives? or just run it?

Good luck with your cam!

noplug

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Well it looks like you're making good progress, you've already passed my area (DC).
Good luck with your trip!!:D

Highline

Veteran Member
TDI
None... for now.
noplug said:
Well it looks like you're making good progress, you've already passed my area (DC).
Good luck with your trip!!:D
Hey, thanks!

I wonder if I'll find any TDI people in Mexico?

I'll probably be the only car down in Cancun, Mexico City, Acapulco, etc, with NH plates heehee.

About 20 miles till I am out of Virginia!

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Cash some mexican pesos so you can start the bribing going once you cross the border.

Highline

Veteran Member
TDI
None... for now.
MAXRPM said:
Cash some mexican pesos so you can start the bribing going once you cross the border.
I was a police officer for eleven years.....

..... Ill never pay any bribe. I'd rather be thrown in jail.

Highline

Veteran Member
TDI
None... for now.
Just entered Tennessee.

424 miles on this tank thus far.. Just hit 1/2 left.

My goal is to drive a tank-a-day.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
if you were a police officer here, it's a whole different ball game than there, Mexico is not the US, so be prepared, they will make your life miserable if you do not bribe, it is just an advice to you, and please report back if you did not bribe I'd like to hear that, and good luck with the trip.

Highline

Veteran Member
TDI
None... for now.
MAXRPM said:
if you were a police officer here, it's a whole different ball game than there, Mexico is not the US, so be prepared, they will make your life miserable if you do not bribe, it is just an advice to you, and please report back if you did not bribe I'd like to hear that, and good luck with the trip.
Thank you very much for the concern and advice :)

I am approaching Chatanooga, TN where I will be having dinner with a friend and staying the night.

Bought a new Tomtom today w/ Mexico maps. Man, the thing kicks ass. It has a cell modem in it and it stays connected to Tomtom's servers. It has gas prices and all sorts of cool stuff!

I was able to make $50 selling my old very basic gps to a guy in BestBuy who was looking for one also... Hee hee.

Highline

Veteran Member
TDI
None... for now.
Checking in from Alabama!

This new Tomtom (model 340 s) freggin' rocks.

Does anyone know precisely how it figures out traffic congestion?

Does the tomtom report in to the main server what my speed and location is? It knows the speed limits, so if I was going 20 in a 70, it would assume something is wrong?

Power_Not_Speed

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Highline said:
I was a police officer for eleven years.....
..... Ill never pay any bribe. I'd rather be thrown in jail.

It's a different place- police in Mexico generally have a very low salary and make their money from moving violations. Which is actually more honest in a sense as the charade of court, fine, fees, points etc is eliminated and the end result is not only cheaper but doesn't jack your insurance rates.

I've traveled extensively through Mexico and Central America by car- though it was mostly during the 1970s and 1980s- and never had a bad experience with police. The attitudes towards Americans gets better the further away from the border, (and the weekend partiers) you are.

noplug

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Looks like he's spending the night in Beaumont Texas...
Go man Go!!!! How is the mileage? How many miles out of your first tank?
Second tank??