Rod knock

jjbendo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 5 Speed
Hi Everyone!

On my 1996 Passat TDI 5-Sp, 185,000 miles I have what sounds like the beginning of a rod knock.

I am not driving the car. I plan to inspect the Rod bearings and replace them.

Besides having fresh rod bearing on hand what else will I need?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Connecting rod bolts...they are one-time use.
You need to find out why you have a rod knock at 185K... i.e. oil pump, Faulty piston sprayers.
How do the cam/bearings look?

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Dodgy injectors can make some really nasty noises which sound a lot like mechanical problems - the usual troubleshooting is to run the engine and loosen each injector line one by one - when you break the seal between the hardline and the injector it will no longer build enough pressure to pop. If the noise gives away with one injector in particular you know where to look.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Hi Everyone!

On my 1996 Passat TDI 5-Sp, 185,000 miles I have what sounds like the beginning of a rod knock.

How about some plastigauge to measure your rod bearing clearances?

I pulled and measured rod bearing clearances on a 1Z engine with 285K miles last year. Rod bearings were still within factory specs. I simply replaced with new, check clearance, used new rod bolts (you have to use new bolts).

At 185K, if you need to replace the rod bearings, best you know what went wrong - or you may be doing the job again real soon. Or worse.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I'd check the injectors first. The cost of stretch bolts for the lower end, add up quickly.

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
check under the valve cover for any spider cracks or any odd wear on either the cam and or the lifters (directly under the cam. if it looks nice and cleanly worn its fine
ever run low or out of oil? check oil pressure with a gauge

antonio2001

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
Lifters are new . (60 000km) from INA but with a used cam from another engine. But i doubt its that. Oil pressure is good. 22 psi idle hot. Goes up nice and fast with throttle. Any other ideas off the hat?
Thanks

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Used cam with new lifters? I bet you that's the problem . You need them both to be new or resurfaced. You will kill lifters and a cam if you mix match them even of they are good. Did you at least run zink for a few hundred miles?
Also where exactly did you get the liftes, there are bad ones and good ones. Frank06 is who you want to talk about lifters. There are threads about this. Who did the work.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
Hi Everyone!
If Your certain its a rod knock You can fix it cheap by replacing rod bearings, not the best proper recommended Fix but on a 96
i wouldn't dish out big$$ Good Luck on the old school Quick Fix cheers...!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzFoR-e3qx0