www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 27th, 2018, 12:42   #1
Intech
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 03' Jetta 67.1 best 51 avg. 99.5 Golf 46 Avg.
Default Brake issue(s)

I need some help here in helping me figure out what is going on with the brakes on my 03’ Jetta. In hindsight, the gremlins seem to have been starting about a month or so ago, when I noticed my brakes seemed to be occasionally dragging. I took it back to the shop, and verified no problems. I had just had the rotors and pads replaced. Then about two weeks ago, my brake pedal “jumped” for lack of a better description, and simultaneously, there was a ‘pffft’ sound at the pedal, that lasted less, than a millisecond. After that, all was well. Took it to the shop, and to Oliver, and we couldn’t make the car do it again. It seems that it does it when it’s stuck in traffic, and only using light pedal pressure. Today, it really got ugly. The brakes DID drag. I was stopped on a hill, a downward slope, and the car wouldn’t move. When I started accelerate, it felt like I was towing a trailer, or the hand brake was on, and also power seemed to fade, and RPM’s went down. I then got out of traffic and on the open road, and all was fine again. I made it home, and that’s where it will stay until Oliver can fix it. I’m open to any and all ideas of WTH is going on
Old August 27th, 2018, 13:38   #2
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Interweb guess, but it sounds like the pads may be binding in the carrier. Hard to tell when it's all together. You want to lube the ears on the pads, but you often need to clean up the carrier where the pads contact. In extreme cases sometimes you also need to file a bit off the ears.
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2018, 15:08   #3
Intech
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 03' Jetta 67.1 best 51 avg. 99.5 Golf 46 Avg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
Interweb guess, but it sounds like the pads may be binding in the carrier. Hard to tell when it's all together. You want to lube the ears on the pads, but you often need to clean up the carrier where the pads contact. In extreme cases sometimes you also need to file a bit off the ears.
Thank you, but all that was checked more than once. I think this issue is related to the brake booster and or the vacuum pump. My brake pedal "jumped", for a mili-second, and there was a simultaneous air discharge at the pedal
Old August 31st, 2018, 20:08   #4
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intech View Post
Thank you, but all that was checked more than once. I think this issue is related to the brake booster and or the vacuum pump. My brake pedal "jumped", for a mili-second, and there was a simultaneous air discharge at the pedal
I'm thinking your right.
If the vacuum pump is creating 20+ inches of vacuum it should be OK.

The vacuum hose from the pump to the booster is known to crack in a tough area to see near the booster end.

I've read a few posts mentioning the 'whoosh' heard inside the car from the booster but I don't recall any saying the brakes dragged.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote