DEF what is it? Do I need it?

sixpointsI

TDI
Jetta '14
Just bought my first TDI 2014 Jetta. I Have yet to fill it up. I live in Brooklyn, where there a lot of truck stops and there are many fuel choices. Which combo or lack of #1, #2 and DEF (sold at the pump) is best?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You '14 Jetta TDI doesn't use SCR, so no DEF required. Just fill the tank with #2 diesel. I'd sit down and spend some time with your owner's manual, too.

And welcome to the club, congrats on the new ride!

oilhammer

TDI
Ahhhhh DEF.....wasting fuel tank space on class 8's since 2010....

Except with the extra MPG it allows, it doesn't matter. SCR is a NOx treatment than happens post combustion, unlike the alternative which is just more EGR. So it lets the engine run leaner, which gives it better fuel economy. This is why the heavier, bigger Passat gets better MPGs than a Jetta or Golf with the same output and size engine. It further increases fuel economy by allowing for less soot generation, which means fewer DPF regens, which use fuel to do so.

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
Reflex Silver 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
And somehow my 2011 Granite with scr is taking to school by our 88 mechanical RD688S....no cat, no DPF, no scr
....and the RD gets better milage, even with 500 ft/lbs less torque and 100 less hp.....EPA is chocking the life out of diesels, big and small.....

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
And somehow my 2011 Granite with scr is taking to school by our 88 mechanical RD688S....no cat, no DPF, no scr
....and the RD gets better milage, even with 500 ft/lbs less torque and 100 less hp.....EPA is chocking the life out of diesels, big and small.....
I have no idea what this post means.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Agreed.

goodysgotacuda

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Goft TDI/6spd & Jetta TDI/DSG
Except with the extra MPG it allows, it doesn't matter. SCR is a NOx treatment than happens post combustion, unlike the alternative which is just more EGR. So it lets the engine run leaner, which gives it better fuel economy. This is why the heavier, bigger Passat gets better MPGs than a Jetta or Golf with the same output and size engine. It further increases fuel economy by allowing for less soot generation, which means fewer DPF regens, which use fuel to do so.

All true but expect to see that playing field leveled out a little with the declaration of "fluid economy" of some sort.

Since DEF is a consumable for going down the road, while cheaper than fuel, it isn't free. The trucking industry is moving toward declaring how much DEF and Fuel their trucks consume. I doubt it'll be long until people start playing with the prices of DEF and kicking owners where it hurts. When they need it, they have to have it...I'm just not sure suppliers have quite figured that out yet.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Sure. They give you a first little trial bit of DEF for free and as soon as you are hooked on it the price goes sky high!

LOL

Bill

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Sure. They give you a first little trial bit of DEF for free and as soon as you are hooked on it the price goes sky high!

LOL

Bill
I can probably brew some up in my basement and make a fortune. :eek:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
All true but expect to see that playing field leveled out a little with the declaration of "fluid economy" of some sort.

Since DEF is a consumable for going down the road, while cheaper than fuel, it isn't free. The trucking industry is moving toward declaring how much DEF and Fuel their trucks consume. I doubt it'll be long until people start playing with the prices of DEF and kicking owners where it hurts. When they need it, they have to have it...I'm just not sure suppliers have quite figured that out yet.
Its already happening. On my GM forum, Def at the dealer is $25, same part number, same fluid somewhere else is $8. Numbers might not be accurate but close enough for this talk. In my neck of the woods, Def averages $18, hop across the line, $8. I can see it adding up but if your getting better MPG, it should be a wash.

I can probably brew some up in my basement and make a fortune. :eek:
Sure you can, go piss in a cup, :eek: ;)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
If you want to talk about bottom lines, half of the stuff that gets shipped by truck should probably be shipped by rail. Rail infrastructure needs to be expanded, including high speed rail for passengers and perhaps time-sensitive long-distance shipments.

oilhammer

TDI
It shouldn't have done anything, because those costs should have been passed on to the end consumer. And if trucking gets too expensive, GOOD. We should be using better means anyways than clogging up all our Interstates with these stupid semi trucks everywhere. Rail, local production, etc. come to mind.

But still, if costs go up to transport things, those costs get passed on anyways. So the guy in the middle shouldn't be bothered much. FedEx and UPS seem to being doing just fine with SCR in their fleets.

edit: VeeDub beat me to the point, but I agree.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
What is the MPG difference between the new Mack and the old Mack?

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
On average about 10-15 l/100km....depsite the lower power/"efficiency" of the old truck, it wins hands down every week.....

the added costs are being diluted through wage stagnation. Somthing I don't feel like explaining on my phone on a forum....

As for rail service, I love trains, but no matter how extensive the network, trucks will be needed at some point. I should mention that I haul trash a fair bit, and would love to see trains picking that up....

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Of course trucks will still be needed... nobody is disputing that. The point is that our shipping infrastructure is relying too heavily on trucks for long distance shipments when rail is more efficient. Our rail infrastructure is in need of some serious expansion.

10-15 liters per 100 kilometers is 23.98 to 15.68 miles per gallon, which I doubt any truck is capable of in any situation, short of coasting down the mountains. Are you saying that the new truck does 10-15 l/100k worse than the old truck? :confused:

Hauling trash? Hopefully to a power-generating incinerator rather than a landfill. ;)

My apologies for straying so far off topic... :eek:

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
The difference is 10-15. I averaged 44.4l/100km over the last year and nick in the old rig gets 32.something over the same period...per fillup it varies from 10-15l...

Trash goes to transfers....then to...well you know.

No apology needed...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That is a pretty significant difference! Might want to keep putting miles on the old rig. ;)

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
That's the plan....work slows in the winter and were gonna give her a new life....things barely broke in, only 400,000km on the clock.....boss man said he's gonna set aside some funds, we'll see how much.

I'd love to make it look good too, but the motor and tranny and drives are first on the list....maybe turn it up a bit and equal out the fuel economy between them lol
Sorry for straying from the op everyone

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Lol the trash goes to a transfer station and then is trucked to the US. We love Canada's trash.