2.0 PD TDI (140) with DPF, hissing noise

rimad

TDI
Passat TDI, Mercedes E 320 CDI
Hey guys,
I got Passat 2.0 TDI (8valves, 140hp). At idle and up until 3000rpm or so I hear this whistling/hissing noise. Sounds like exhaust leak but could also be boost leak.
I looked around and can't find anything wrong. There are no error codes, i scanned the car with vcds.
I got a few pictures of behind the engine and turbo. There is obviously trace of something that leaked before. What could this be?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/85ir5xpgwfbt2c2/2012-12-21%2014.30.38.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lken7nncied8er/2012-12-21%2014.30.49.jpg

rimad

TDI
Also forgot to add that when car is warm it takes like one or two seconds extra to start up. It turns around for approximately second or two more. When its cold it fires right up. Maybe something to do with this?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
In the photo this is your DPF with some road dirt. Completely normal.

What color is your car? If it isn't black, look for soot onder the hood. Especially near the firewall, battery. The soot usually accumulates on the hood itself, from the inner side. Use fingertip test to veriy.

If you find soot, it means you have an exhaust leak. Most common places are flexpipes and gaskets going from the exhaust manifold to the EGR cooler and from EGR cooler towards the EGR valve. Inspect carefully.

If you have a boost leak, there aren't much places where it can leak: check all the plumbing from the turbo to intercooler and from IC towards the intake manifold. Common places for leak are the joints, especially when the clamps wear out. Besides, 8 times of 10 a boost leak is visible because of oily mess around the leak place.

rimad

TDI
Just so you guys know this turned out to be egr cooler. Replaced under warranty!

Thanks for help.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Question, can we delete the EGR and use a tune to remove the CEL just like on the PD motored cars? I'm coming out of the 2006 and just got into a 2009 and have don't the delete before so wondered if we can do it on the newer motors.

Thx!

THE TRUTH ABOUT ASSAULT WEAPONS