Indiana People

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 5 sp., 2003, Silver/Grey Int.
deezay:

If you can PM me directions to your place I could pick you up. I'll be coming up from the South (either 23 or 31). I'll be off of work @ 3:00 p.m. and won't be able to check the forum after that (had the roof on the house replaced and the satellite won't be hooked up 'till Thursday).

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
CoolWht said:
I could arrange for Monday, Nov. 12th instead if that's easier for you - just let me know!
The 12th would be better for me, I'll be in Wisconsin on the 19th (it's that time of the year again!), and the 26th I'll be at Potato Creek doing my part to help out the park with it's deer problem....... :D

deezay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 black jetta gls
sorry, didn't make it. i was out goofing with the car and got a co worker to drive me home. it's off to the dealership tomorrow to reprogram it for the keys... hopefully that works. if not.... it'll suck. i'll keep ya guys posted.,

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
TDI_Convert said:
The 12th would be better for me, I'll be in Wisconsin on the 19th (it's that time of the year again!), and the 26th I'll be at Potato Creek doing my part to help out the park with it's deer problem....... :D
Allrighty then, November dinner GTG to be on the 12th!

deezay - sorry to hear about your Immo3 woes. Please keep us posted on how things go for you on getting it fixed. Hopefully we'll see you next month then!

deezay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 black jetta gls
yeah, it's a bummer. it goes in today to get the keys matched to the car. we'll see if that cures it... $151

deezay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 black jetta gls
car is up and going. keys lost their stuff...and i got some recall work done on a brake light switch. they were wanting to check out my fuel system because of the excessive smoke.. i told them it was fine :D

total damage done: 108$ (includes $50 towing fee)

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
deezay said:
car is up and going. keys lost their stuff...
Good to hear! Did they tell you how your keys lost their "stuff"? I've never had any of my keys quit on me yet as all still have original batteries in them.

deezay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 black jetta gls
well... my guess is... my spare was never programmed... and on the way back from the east coast, i did have my keys in my carry-on... maybe the xray? no idea.

whats weird was... the batteries still worked, as the buttons on the fob would lock and unlock the doors. but when i tried my orginal set to start the car it would start and then die with the immob3 light a-blinkin.

it works now though. so i am pleased. just ordered some SS brake lines and waiting on bleachedbora to get back to me about some pads and rotors.

one more month and then i go hog wild with the mods.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
deezay said:
Translation: melted credit card and/or empty wallet! :eek: Ask me how I know... :p :rolleyes:

Thanks for theories on why your keys didn't work too - like you said, dunno what really caused your woes but at least it wasn't a real expensive fix! :)

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
deezay said:
just ordered some SS brake lines and waiting on bleachedbora to get back to me about some pads and rotors.

I can tell you that the Audi TT 312mm fronts and 20th AE rears work just fine from him. ;) More brakedust than the stock pads, but they sure stop the car a whole bunch faster!

deezay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 black jetta gls
yeah, i'd like to get something bigger sometime, i haven't noticed any hardcore limits with the stock brakes but i have yet to push them on a course. i figure some ate rotors, some akebono pads, and run some fresh fluid all the way through the system and call it good. did i hear right that the clutch also gets its fluid from the brake reservoir?

is there a special procedure for flushing the brakes? looks like it's also time to swap out the fuel filter. what do you guys recommend?

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
I beleive the procedure is RR, LR, RF, LF, brake slave. You can get a spec brake fluid that is a different color than stock so you know when you've got clean fluid coming out of each corner.

Fill the filter with fuel or diesel kleen before you hook up the lines, and you should be O.K. The first time I clamped the lines so I didn't lose too much fuel, the 2nd time I did it faster and was more careful so I didn't need to clamp, and didn't have any starting problems.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
deezay said:
looks like it's also time to swap out the fuel filter. what do you guys recommend?
General consensus is to replace the OEM fuel filter every 20K which is what VW recommends. If you run a CAT fuel filter can go even longer than that. Some people change it just prior to winter season to reduce possible chance of gelling with the OEM filter.

I run a CAT - filters much better (2 microns) than OEM (10 microns) plus filter is cheaper too - $9 versus $35! Win-win in my opinion. :cool:

deezay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 black jetta gls
so.... what all am i going to need for the fuel filter? i hear about these T valves or something breaking... making air bubbles or something..... i thought i saw something in the vendor/group buy section about some cat 2micron filter... not too sure.

i will probably just buy something close to stock for now to end hassles and then do some research on the cat and get that... unless you want to tell me whats all involved in swapping that over, as better filtration of fuel can never be a bad thing.

i plan on gettin ate super blue fluid for the ease of me seeing the difference. thanks for the suggestions/help. greatly appreciated. and it's good to be driving my car again.. :D

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
deezay said:
so.... what all am i going to need for the fuel filter? i hear about these T valves or something breaking... making air bubbles or something..... i thought i saw something in the vendor/group buy section about some cat 2micron filter... not too sure.

i will probably just buy something close to stock for now to end hassles and then do some research on the cat and get that... unless you want to tell me whats all involved in swapping that over, as better filtration of fuel can never be a bad thing.
To run a CAT you need the adapter plate - GregL in Indy sells them along with the filters. It's $100+ for the plate/filter last I checked but after a few filter changes it'll break even compared to OEM filters then start paying you back a little. Yep - CAT micron 2 filter is what I'm talking about here. I just figure the better the filtration is, the cleaner my fuel is which means my $$$$ injection pump will last longer.

T-fitting at top of filter can break more more common scenario is that the o-rings won't seal if proper care is not taken during filter R&R. This applies to BOTH the CAT and OEM filter as they both use the OEM T-fitting. I've never had a T-fitting break (maybe because I have a spare handy?) but sometimes need to replace the o-rings which I also keep around in my parts stash for that very reason. You can order the T-fitting and o-rings from the dealer and the usual online sources such as Impex, TDI Parts, etc.

I'd have a spare set of the o-rings on hand just in case you need them at the very least!

deezay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 black jetta gls
gotcha, i will more than likely pick that up. plus a t fitting and the o-rings. so.. has anyone ran a dual stage filter... like a 10micron filter first to get the big junks and then a 2micron filter to get the smaller stuff? i think that would be slightly beneficial seeing as how the 2micron filter is possibly going to plug up first.

coolwht- do you swap the cat filter every 20K? or do you stretch it out a bit? i did a little research on the swap last night.

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
CoolWht said:
I run a CAT - filters much better (2 microns) than OEM (10 microns) plus filter is cheaper too - $9 versus $35! Win-win in my opinion. :cool:
While the 2 micron filter is better, I have a hard time justifying spending the extra $$ on it when the stock filters are $19.00 @ tdiparts.com.

And if the fuel starts to jell, the 2 micron will get plugged quicker.

With that being said, I have never had a problem with fuel gelling, and if I had extra $$, I probably would go with the 2 micron filter and carry a spare along with a bottle of diesel kleen and tools to change it in the car.

Dang it Robert, do you have that mod done to your car too?!!! :D ;)

At least I'm ahead of you in the brake department.:p No, I haven't forgot about you, the dish alignment just got pushed back until Saturday because of the weather.....:(

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
deezay said:
coolwht- do you swap the cat filter every 20K? or do you stretch it out a bit? i did a little research on the swap last night.
I change the CAT every 20K like the OEM one - just easy to remember and it's not expensive per filter. Going into winter is when I change it.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
TDI_Convert said:
And if the fuel starts to jell, the 2 micron will get plugged quicker.

With that being said, I have never had a problem with fuel gelling, and if I had extra $$, I probably would go with the 2 micron filter and carry a spare along with a bottle of diesel kleen and tools to change it in the car.

Dang it Robert, do you have that mod done to your car too?!!! :D ;)
Don't you remember the first time we GTG'd for some work that you helped out with an air bubble issue on my CAT setup? It's been on my car a long time now! :rolleyes:

I've never had a gelling problem but I run Supreme Diesel plus additive which also helps. More importantly I usually refuel at the halfway mark during winter to reduce gelling possibilities as well.

brothersnag

TDI
2001.5 NB
I feel like my timing is now Retarded, was tring to adjust in so it would get higher on the graph. Needing to know if anyone around Indy has TB tools, If not I going to be buying them really fast because the cars to retareded to start. Should have read more before loosing those 3 bolts. I'm reviewing the TB change right now. Think I should order the kit now original still have 14K miles till its do?

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
CoolWht said:
Don't you remember the first time we GTG'd for some work that you helped out with an air bubble issue on my CAT setup? It's been on my car a long time now! :rolleyes:
Yep, I remember. Just giving you a hard time.....:cool: You've got broad shoulders!;)

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
deezay said:
so.. has anyone ran a dual stage filter... like a 10micron filter first to get the big junks and then a 2micron filter to get the smaller stuff? i think that would be slightly beneficial seeing as how the 2micron filter is possibly going to plug up first.
I forgot to address this one last night. Open your hood and look at the fuel filter area - tell me where the second filter would go? What's in there now just fits (OEM) whilst the CAT is a little taller. Not saying it can't be done but you'll be needing to fab up/reroute some fuel lines once you solve the great mystery of where #2 filter is going. Want to be the pioneer on this idea?

Not beating on you about this but any benefit would be slight compared to all the fab work not to mention needing to change two filters out at regular intervals. Not worth it IMHO. :)

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
hey robert- Do you have a frostheater on your ride? I'm thinking about one for the Jetta, if I like it I'd put one on my golf too. If you don't have one, do any of the other guys up there have one?

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
I have one (and an extra one), but Robert has this funny thing called an Espar (or is it Wabasco?)

I have mine set to turn on 4 hr. before I leave for work and the motor temp is 190* when I start it, then it drops to the low end of the scale, but by the time I'm 1/2 mile down the road the temp is back up to 190*.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
DCELL said:
hey robert- Do you have a frostheater on your ride? I'm thinking about one for the Jetta, if I like it I'd put one on my golf too. If you don't have one, do any of the other guys up there have one?
Yeah, I got the TDI Heater (also called a Frostheater by some) and can recommend it. Do you have an electric outlet handy at home and/or work? I'm fortunate they have some spaces at work with outlets by each one - last winter I never had to scrape the ice/snow off the windshield as I left it plugged in all day. :D

TDI_Convert said:
I have one (and an extra one), but Robert has this funny thing called an Espar (or is it Wabasco?)
Webasto is the one I have and I'm sure Espar has a similiar unit. This one operates off the battery/diesel fuel so you can warm up the coolant even if no outlet is handy.

Be advised if you run a heater that you want to check the level of your coolant from time to time as both Convert and I found the coolant level drops slightly over time. We had to add a little before winter was over. Other than that it's pretty much maintenance free.

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
CoolWht said:
Be advised if you run a heater that you want to check the level of your coolant from time to time as both Convert and I found the coolant level drops slightly over time. We had to add a little before winter was over. Other than that it's pretty much maintenance free.
What he said.:D I looked for any leaks, and I'm sure CoolWht did and found none, so the only explination that I have is that the heater *might* boil some of the coolant nearest the heating coils at times, turning some of the coolant into a gas, hence the lower level over time. I needed to add 8 oz. or so of coolant near the end of winter. I plug mine in every night, so it sees quite a bit of use.

For install, plan on an hour minimum, longer if you are anal about the install. Mine took aobut 2 hours, but then again, I didn't quite exactly follow the directions;) . I made a spacer and bracket to fit into the battery tray and trimmed the battery cover, rather than trim the tray.

animalcontrol

TDI
2006 VW TDI
Just wanted to say hello...
Newbie to the boards and tryin to absorb all the info...
About me
ride:2006 Jetta no mods (bone stock) 30k miles
I have been doing my own basic maintenance ie oil /fuel changes etc since I bought new in May '06
I communte 100 miles/day (since Jan '07) I love my gas milage!!
Nice to meet you all and hopefully I could join you for a meet/greet sometime!

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
animalcontrol said:
I communte 100 miles/day (since Jan '07) I love my gas milage!!
Nice to meet you all and hopefully I could join you for a meet/greet sometime!
Actually it's fuel mileage - sure hope you're not putting gas in your TDI! :eek: :p :D

You're welcome to join us for a Michiana dinner GTG if you don't mind the drive north. DCELL tries to make these and he's from Noblesville. Next one is on Monday, November 12th - I'll post details in a few days. :)

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Next Michiana dinner GTG is scheduled for:

Monday, November 12th - 6:30pm Eastern

Logan’s Roadhouse
1206 E Ireland Road
South Bend, IN 46614

Posting this a little early as I'll be out of town from tomorrow until next Wednesday. Wanted to give you guys at least a week's notice to make it easier to fit this into your social calendar! :)

Please post if you plan to attend - we will wait in parking lot until everyone shows up or clock strikes 6:30pm - whichever one occurs first. :rolleyes: Just look for the VW's in the lot as we try to park next to each other - mine is a white Jetta sedan and the other one that should be there is a silver Jetta wagon. :cool: