This diesel noob needs help please!

Jwcollins79

TDI
05 Gls TDI
Same problem here! Started about a week ago. After car sat for an hour or two it would start but with bad “misfire” feel. But ran great with good power after warming up. Then two nights after stopping by a friends house it wouldn’t start at all. Just cranks over. Checked some fuses and listened for fuel pump. Both are good. Now I need to also add that I too started getting puffs of white clouds accompanied by strong diesel smell. Once even through my ac vents. And car has slight chatter... almost like a lifter tick? Seems to get louder with different types of different fuels I run. (Usually a BP bio blend) I absolutely love this car. Please Help!!! 2005 Passat 2.0 TDI. AT with 149k miles.

Jwcollins79

TDI
05 Gls TDI
Would also like to add that there is no check engine light coming on for this issue. This is my first diesel car and I’m learning hard way how expensive repairs can be

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta s\DSG 2015 & 1&2 FIX
Turn the key on and listen, for the pump to run in the fuel tank, about 12X. then try to start one time. Then if no luck start over key to on listen for pump...

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
If miles are149,000 miles. Have you change the timing belt?
Then check the fuel Complete Injector, see if leaking. Then find a good Certified ASE Master Mechanic working with diesel.

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Before you junk the beast, what bottom dollar you want for it as is.

Jwcollins79

TDI
05 Gls TDI
lol it’s far from junking status. I bought for $3200 cash and last month spent $540 on having motor mounts changed. Got too much money into it to not fix it

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
And the " HOW TO and do-it-yourself threads" did not help?

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm only guessing, new replacing injector rail & replacing injectors around $1000.00

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 PD delayed start and hazing (white...ish exhaust) up above check it out

Jwcollins79

TDI
05 Gls TDI
Ok I will. And yes I’m prepared to spend up to 1k on repairs but will try to do it myself if possible. And thank you for your help sir. Greatly appreciated

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
Search Forum for nearby TDI-Forum members with VAGCOM and make friends!
When my 05 Passat started acting-up sorta like that It was the worn-out cam but it was over 200K miles when it happened.
It did NOT go thru the "won't run" stage tho.
Is there a "109" Relay in the 05's? That caused a similar problem on my 2000 Jetta.
Woooo! $520 for motor mounts sounds like quite a wad...what else got done?

jasantos40

TDI
g4 tdi
Try this, disconnect the injector harness and crank it 10x to 15x.

Then connect the injectors and see if it misfires. If it doesn't, probably a lifter discharging.

Also check if you see smoke will cranking without the injector harness plugged to check for any fluid getting expelled of the combustion chamber.

Also a read of group 13 VCDS while it misfires would help to trace the cylinder.

Take off the valve cover and check camshaft and lifters.

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Where did this come from?

Try this, disconnect the injector harness and crank it 10x to 15x.
Then connect the injectors and see if it misfires. If it doesn't, probably a lifter discharging.
Also check if you see smoke will cranking without the injector harness plugged to check for any fluid getting expelled of the combustion chamber.
Also a read of group 13 VCDS while it misfires would help to trace the cylinder.
Take off the valve cover and check camshaft and lifters.

I'm just a Shade Tree . First Time Diesel OK.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Be sure to do lots of reading before you buy repairs. They're simple beasts, but very different than other internal combustion engines. Once you start to understand how it all works, you'll be able to figure out some stuff. Interweb guessing is usually pretty hit or miss.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
When you turn the key to glow your car, do you hear a buzz or similar noise from behind you under the back seat area? If not your in tank lift pump is not working. If you do hear the noise, try cycling the key 3 to 4 times to the glow position. Then try and start your car, does it start easier?

If so you likely have an air leak with air getting in your fuel lines, usually one of the O rings on the T that is on top of the fuel filter.

Often those O rings get pinched when doing the fuel filter.

Jwcollins79

TDI
05 Gls TDI
Rodmiser, honestly I’ve been working 65 hours a week for last few weeks and I haven’t got much done other than getting it pushed in my garage. Based on everything I’ve read, watched, researched.. I’m leaning towards a bad injector. With the strong fuel smell and puff of white smoke on startups for a few weeks leading up to it, and idk.. just a hunch. Now I’m not ruling out injection pump.. but I’m seriously hoping it’s not. I did change the fuel filter first thing. Now... I have located some used injectors and they are supposed to be in good working condition, but would rebuilding the bad one with new rings and nozzle be a better option? Keep in mind this is my first Diesel engine. And to be honest I’m a little reluctant to tear into something unless I’m confident enough to do it. This is an amazing forum and I am grateful for all the help any of you have given me.

Last edited:

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
My first Diesel too. Remember we only learn from our Mistakes. The cost of new vs used. Have fun with the car.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I'm only guessing, new replacing injector rail & replacing injectors around $1000.00
A BHW engine does not have a fuel rail, It does have a passage in the head between the tandem pump and the injectors.Your thinking of 95% of gas engine cars. Why would he need new injectors at 149K miles?

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Would also like to add that there is no check engine light coming on for this issue. This is my first diesel car and I’m learning hard way how expensive repairs can be
Things get expensive when you take advice that is wrong or made up. Probably the most expensive repairs on a BHW is the balance shaft, timing belt and cam. Most other things are routine maintenance which may need to be caught up. You need to understand what to look for to make informed decisions.

The WIKI index is a little confusing to navigate.
Read here for familiarization about your Passat:
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/vw-passat-TDI-buying-guide.htm

Read here for DYI articles about your Passat:
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/b5-2004-2005-vw-passat-tdi-forum-faq-diy-bhw-engine/

Last edited:

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
myturbodiesel.com

The 2005.5-2006 TDI engine uses a timing belt. The original change interval was 100,000 miles but VW appears to have shortened it to 80,000 miles. The job should also include replacement of the water pump, timing belt tensioner, and all rollers. Some VW dealers, especially in states where the TDI was not available due to emissions, may not be knowledgeable with the TDI engine. Ask around for a TDI expert before going to the dealer. Dealers not experienced with TDI engines have damaged engines in the past due to lack of experience and bad techs. Expect to pay about $1,000 at the dealer for this service. Any engine that uses a timing belt must have the belt changed on a regular basis. Cars that use chains also must have the chain replaced (at a longer interval than most people own the car) at a greater cost so for cars that are in service for very high miles it's a wash. Here's how to change it: 1000q: BRM timing belt change - part1
The 2009 and newer Jetta TDI engine uses a 120,000 mile timing belt but it cannot be used on the 2005-2006 because it's totally different
myturbodiesel.com

Last edited:

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone with a myturbodiesel.com account can create or edit articles so please join today! Here is a test page where you can practice editing the wiki before editing live articles.