www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old September 10th, 2018, 21:59   #3286
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

my ma's got a bike rack that straps to the trunk lid, seems to serve her well enough
might find one on craigslist for cheap enough
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 06:15   #3287
03 shaker

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
If I remember right there isn't anything that directly attaches without an adapter. IIRC though there is an adapter that Tesla uses I think I read that gives you a 2" receiver that will accept standard hitch inserts such as bike racks.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...postcount=3235
https://www.teslarati.com/how-to-ins...model-x-hitch/
Pricey and hard to find though.
Hmm interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
my ma's got a bike rack that straps to the trunk lid, seems to serve her well enough
might find one on craigslist for cheap enough
Ah i've seen those before but hadn't thought about them. Thanks, i'll probably go with something like this.
Old September 11th, 2018, 07:00   #3288
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 shaker View Post
Hmm interesting.

Ah i've seen those before but hadn't thought about them. Thanks, i'll probably go with something like this.
If you're only hauling one or two bikes, the trunk mount works fine. Make sure to look at the different attachment paint options and how easy they are to adjust.

Price for a new one isn't that much either. You have to compare the price of the bike to the rack. If you've spent a lot of money on the bike, you really don't want to cheap out on the rack. One of the reasons I put a hitch on the JSW was to have a more secure platform for the bikes.

I've seen other posts on here that you can get the Tesla adapter from the Tesla stores.
Old September 11th, 2018, 08:50   #3289
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

You mean like this? LINK Or this LINK

Not cheap, but designed for your hitch.

Jason

PS: They range from nearly $600 to about $150 it looks like from PF Jones.

Last edited by SilverGhost; September 11th, 2018 at 08:52.
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 10:47   #3290
03 shaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
If you're only hauling one or two bikes, the trunk mount works fine. Make sure to look at the different attachment paint options and how easy they are to adjust.

Price for a new one isn't that much either. You have to compare the price of the bike to the rack. If you've spent a lot of money on the bike, you really don't want to cheap out on the rack. One of the reasons I put a hitch on the JSW was to have a more secure platform for the bikes.

I've seen other posts on here that you can get the Tesla adapter from the Tesla stores.
Yeah it will be just 1 bike most of the time. Maybe 2. For sure leaning towards a trunk mount. And my bike is at least 10 yo walmart special, so not worried about hurting it haha. But whatever I replace it with, I'd like to have something nicer. Still not very expensive though. I found a Yakima 2 bike for about $130 that would probably work well. And a few for $20-30 on craigslist. But then I have to make sure they work on a jetta. It seemed like several of the posts there said something about missing straps, who knows how long those would last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
You mean like this? LINK Or this LINK

Not cheap, but designed for your hitch.

Jason

PS: They range from nearly $600 to about $150 it looks like from PF Jones.

Yeah something like those is what I was originally thinking. But for that price i'll just deal with the cheaper trunk mount option.
Old September 11th, 2018, 11:22   #3291
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Not to mention another $150 +/- shipping.

If you go for a trunk strap on, make sure you protect the areas where it attaches.

2015 Beetle TDI.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 11:37   #3292
kjclow
Veteran Member

Good reason for going new.
Old September 11th, 2018, 14:14   #3293
03 shaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
If you go for a trunk strap on, make sure you protect the areas where it attaches.
Very true. For now i'm not too worried. The clear coat is peeling in places. I want to get it repainted/new clear coat. Then I might be more concerned for sure.

Last edited by 03 shaker; September 11th, 2018 at 20:26.
03 shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 18:17   #3294
Jedadiah
Veteran Member

Default Westy bike rack

I ordered from here and it was only $230 for a nice Thule rack
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...2-bikes-328231
I had to rewire the lights, and chose to buy a couple more Thule locking knobs. I upgraded the wheel straps with some Rockymounts spare parts and love it. It gets lots of compliments. It folds totally out of the way of the hatch.

I’ll try and get an updated pick here, but you can see it pre-upgrade in post 3157 in this thread.
Jedadiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 20:29   #3295
03 shaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedadiah View Post
I had to rewire the lights, and chose to buy a couple more Thule locking knobs. I upgraded the wheel straps with some Rockymounts spare parts and love it. It gets lots of compliments. It folds totally out of the way of the hatch.

Iíll try and get an updated pick here, but you can see it pre-upgrade in post 3157 in this thread.
That's sweet and looks great on your car. A lot of options to consider.
Old September 12th, 2018, 04:26   #3296
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Supporting a bicycling event last weekend:

It's hard to tell in the photo, but I recently coated the entire trailer with Herculiner. It looks great! Time will tell if it's tough enough to take a beating when applied to wood, and especially the plastic fenders. I also had the cargo box wrapped. It turned out good and has stopped all leaks at the rivets.

Scott

| .M y . S t a g e . 2 . G T I . |
| Facebook | YouTube | Fuelly |
Stealth TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2018, 06:04   #3297
kjclow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedadiah View Post

I’ll try and get an updated pick here, but you can see it pre-upgrade in post 3157 in this thread.
Blocking the taillights was one of the few complaints on my Yakima rack. I don't think I've seen that Thule setup for sale in the US. Also part of the reason I got a kayak trailer that I can also use for the bikes.

The best rack I've bought recently just straps over the pickup tailgate. You put the down tube in the cradle and the front wheel hangs outside the bed. Bikes sit upright and are easy to see from the cab. Well, mostly the bikes sit upright. I've had to use a little redneck ingenuity and use an old inner tube attached to the tie downs and then pulling on the bike seat.

StealthTDI, the more pictures I see of your trailer the more I love it!