Mk4 gas and diesel 5 speed transmission.

Fisch_02

TDI
1.9 tdi
Im sure this is discussed on here somewhere but I can't find it. My question is. Can I put a 5 speed manual transmission out of a gas jetta and put it into a tdi jetta? Both jettas are 2001. I assume the gearing is different but I don't know kinda new to the volkswagen scene only reason I'm asking is because I can get a free transmission from a friend but it's from a gas. Thanks

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Your correct about the ratios being different between the two types of engines.

There is also a difference between bell-housings on the 02J transmission. One is for the 6 cylinder, the other for the 4 cylinder. In your case, you’ll need to stay away from the cars that have the VR6 in them as they will not bolt into your block [emoji20]

Also keep in note, some later Mk4’s had the 02M transmission - which is of course is a 6 speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fisch_02

TDI
1.9 tdi
Your correct about the ratios being different between the two types of engines.

There is also a difference between bell-housings on the 02J transmission. One is for the 6 cylinder, the other for the 4 cylinder. In your case, you’ll need to stay away from the cars that have the VR6 in them as they will not bolt into your block [emoji20]

Also keep in note, some later Mk4’s had the 02M transmission - which is of course is a 6 speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Thanks for the quick reply. The transmission is out of a 4 cylinder. I was wondering if it was just 5th gear that was different or if the differential is geared different

Fisch_02

TDI
1.9 tdi
There is certainly going to be a noticeable difference in ratios for the R&P and 5th

Are you able to pull the codes off both transmissions so we can compare the two?

Or you can cross reference it here based on model/year

http://www.zelek.com/diagram_charts/diagramlist.htm
Thanks for the reply. That pretty much answers my question. The R&P for the gas is 4.235 and the R&P for the diesel 3.389. Little bit of a difference, if it were the other way around I would definitely go for it but not with the gas having such a higher gear ratio.

Fisch_02

TDI
1.9 tdi
Thanks for the reply. That pretty much answers my question. The R&P for the gas is 4.235 and the R&P for the diesel 3.389. Little bit of a difference, if it were the other way around I would definitely go for it but not with the gas having such a higher gear ratio.
I'm not sure if I'm figuring this correctly but 5th gear in the gas is .837 the diesel is .756. The R&P for the gas is 4.235 the diesel is 3.389. So the final for gas is 3.54 and diesel is 2.56. So if I take 5th out of the diesel transmission and put it in the gas one it puts it at 3.26. I wonder how much difference in rpm that will make at highway speed. Or maybe I completely figured that wrong

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Better to simply source a tdi trans as your rpm will still be as much as 400 rpm higher than a tdi trans.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Based on my custom Excel spreadsheet on gearing ....

(not adjusted for tire size, but all numbers are relative in the calculations)
(all results rounded by formula)

1. Stock 0J2 in 5th gear @ 2200 RPMs = 69 MPH

2. Gasser tranny in 5th gear @ 2200 RPMs = 50 MPH

3. Gasser tranny with diesel 5th gear @ 2200 RPMs = 55 MPH

4. Diesel tranny with gasser 5th gear @ 2200 RPMs = 63 MPH

I included option 4 as I installed a gasser tranny 5h gear while I was looking for a replacement tranny or 5th gear for my 2000 Jetta TDI.

Lastly, top gear in my Vanagon (4th) is very similar to 4th gear in the 0J2 tranny. 3000 RPMs = about 68 mph. (3125 RPMs = about 70 MPH).

Fisch_02

TDI
1.9 tdi
Based on my custom Excel spreadsheet on gearing ....

(not adjusted for tire size, but all numbers are relative in the calculations)
(all results rounded by formula)

1. Stock 0J2 in 5th gear @ 2200 RPMs = 69 MPH

2. Gasser tranny in 5th gear @ 2200 RPMs = 50 MPH

3. Gasser tranny with diesel 5th gear @ 2200 RPMs = 55 MPH

4. Diesel tranny with gasser 5th gear @ 2200 RPMs = 63 MPH

I included option 4 as I installed a gasser tranny 5h gear while I was looking for a replacement tranny or 5th gear for my 2000 Jetta TDI.

Lastly, top gear in my Vanagon (4th) is very similar to 4th gear in the 0J2 tranny. 3000 RPMs = about 68 mph. (3125 RPMs = about 70 MPH).
Thanks for the info. My tdi is a little different than that. At 70 mph I'm at 2450 rpm. But I bought this tdi about 6 months ago, so I don't know something could have been changed from the previous owner.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Keep in mind...

1. The numbers I gave were not adjusted for tire size. My Excel Spreadsheet is set-up with a specific tire size that I did not change for those calculations. So, the relative difference is what is important for comparison.

2. Seems every Jetta/Golf/NB that I've driven the speedometer is about 2 mph fast.

My GPS and road-side real time radar seem to confirm my observations. Also, Scan Gauges gives better RPM readings than observing the Tach. But, this is nothing but hair splitting on my part. However, overall, the info should get you in the ball park.

Fisch_02

TDI
1.9 tdi
Keep in mind...
1. The numbers I gave were not adjusted for tire size. My Excel Spreadsheet is set-up with a specific tire size that I did not change for those calculations. So, the relative difference is what is important for comparison.
2. Seems every Jetta/Golf/NB that I've driven the speedometer is about 2 mph fast.
But other than the gearing the transmission will bolt right up, correct?
My GPS and road-side real time radar seem to confirm my observations. Also, Scan Gauges gives better RPM readings than observing the Tach. But, this is nothing but hair splitting on my part. However, overall, the info should get you in the ball park.
Other than the gear ratio difference the engine will bolt right up, correct?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Depending which gasser tranny you purchase, the shifting tower may have to be moved from your tranny to the new tranny... There were some minor differences in a year or two early on.

The block to tranny bolt pattern on in-line VW 4-cylinders is the same all the way back to 1974.

Fisch_02

TDI
1.9 tdi
Depending which gasser tranny you purchase, the shifting tower may have to be moved from your tranny to the new tranny... There were some minor differences in a year or two early on.

The block to tranny bolt pattern on in-line VW 4-cylinders is the same all the way back to 1974.
Thanks for the information. You guys have been a huge help.