Thrust Bearing Failure 06 Jetta

DaddyMagic

TDI
06 Jetta
Hi just moved to Texas,
While my Wife was following behind me on her way down here I was already inTX, through SC the Jetta stopped letting her put it in first gear and made a horrible squealing noise.

We thought it was the clutch, 130,000 miles on it. Or maybe the slave cylinder.

The mech told me over the phone that it was the thrust bearing and we needed a new engine. $6,000. There's metal in the oil.

I'm not sure if I even believe him or not, since the car is back in SC and I'm on a new job in TX I haven't even seen the car.

Soooo.... I'm looking for some informed opinions. I'm inclined to get a tow dolly and drag the Jetta back here to East TX and possibly swap out the engine.

Looking for engine sources and how to pick an engine.

Plus at what point would it be better to sell the car as is and get something newer?

Andy:confused:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Hi just moved to Texas,
While my Wife was following behind me on her way down here I was already inTX, through SC the Jetta stopped letting her put it in first gear and made a horrible squealing noise.

We thought it was the clutch, 130,000 miles on it. Or maybe the slave cylinder.

The mech told me over the phone that it was the thrust bearing and we needed a new engine. $6,000. There's metal in the oil.

I'm not sure if I even believe him or not, since the car is back in SC and I'm on a new job in TX I haven't even seen the car.

Soooo.... I'm looking for some informed opinions. I'm inclined to get a tow dolly and drag the Jetta back here to East TX and possibly swap out the engine.

Looking for engine sources and how to pick an engine.

Plus at what point would it be better to sell the car as is and get something newer?

Andy:confused:
Why you need new engine?
If the Thrust bearing goes out , you need new clutch.
I think those guys have no idea what they talking about , or you have different problem.
If you decide to tow car in TX you are welcome to bring in my shop and I can see what is going on.

Marin

DaddyMagic

TDI
06 Jetta
Thanks for the reply..
I'm goining to Finally be able to go get my Jetta. It will be about 1,800 miles total. I have been talking to my Wife and am ready to bet some coin that it is NOT the engie, but the clutch or dual mass flywheel..

She's telling me that the noise only happened when she pushed in the clutch or tried to put the car in gear.

Either way, I can't find anyone who has had this same prob. I will open up the oil filter and see if I see anything collected in the filter. other than that I'm not going to do anything else until I get it back here to Texas.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Thanks for the reply..
I'm goining to Finally be able to go get my Jetta. It will be about 1,800 miles total. I have been talking to my Wife and am ready to bet some coin that it is NOT the engie, but the clutch or dual mass flywheel..

She's telling me that the noise only happened when she pushed in the clutch or tried to put the car in gear.

Either way, I can't find anyone who has had this same prob. I will open up the oil filter and see if I see anything collected in the filter. other than that I'm not going to do anything else until I get it back here to Texas.
I suggest you tow it on dolly to Texas to not make more damage.
If I am close to you contact me once you get car here and I will be glad to look at it and tell you what is the problem.

Marin

DaddyMagic

TDI
06 Jetta
I am soooo glad that I did tow it to Texas. I ran about 18 hr's yesterday and today was able to get the Jetta into the garage. up on stands. first thing, oil filter.. no metal in the filter, drained the trans.. no probs.. dropped the trans and the carnage was all inside the bell housing.

I'm taking pix and am trying to post them.

There was no prob that I can tell on the motor, but I will take the pressure plate off tomorrow.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Pictures must be posted on a host site (tdiclub here has one or photobucket etc will do) and linked from here. There are some posts on how to do this, its easy.

DaddyMagic

TDI
06 Jetta
Ok.. Still cant get pics to show in the post. I did upload them though at:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=106674&title=pressure-plate&cat=6187

the Question I have is regarding the ring (I think it is a seal?) that was on the input shaft behind the lever (not sure of the tech term here for the lever).

I don't know what to call that thing, so I can't order a new one. Anyone who knows what that thing is pls let me know..

Andy

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
I think based on your pic's the plastic remnant was a part of the clutch release bearing. Looks like its just clutch time and inspect your release fork (lever) for wear where it contacts the release bearing, pivot ball and the pushrod from the slave cylinder for wear. The flywheel is a Dual Mass Flywheel and can be a bit challenging to correctly inspect and per the DMF mfgr, not suitable for resurfacing.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Here are your pictures.

I don't understand how this went from a Thrust Bearing with metal in the oil to a Throw-out Bearing and obviously a damaged Pressure Plate and Clutch Release Arm/Fork.

Edit: Yup, I see now! Good thing you towed it home.

I tend to agree, the thingy in your hand is probably part of the Throw-out bearing. But, I don't understand how it got behind the clutch release fork!

This is sort of unusual in that the Throw-out bearing should go well beyond 250k miles. Was the regular driver prone to keep their foot on the clutch pedal? If so, most likely the clutch disc is worn beyond service. And, the face of the flywheel may be burnt..... just thinking out loud!

Last edited:

DaddyMagic

TDI
06 Jetta
Well.. I'm the reg driver... until we went on out grand safari to Tex. My sweetheart was the driver on the way here. She grew up on a farm and any probs should be blamed on me I suppose since this is the internet she could see this post.

I have been looking at the clutch disk and there's still material left.

Been reading lots about the dual mass flywheel. I have the parts on order. Im getting the single mass flywheel kit and a new fork lever.

This is the second clutch I've done on VWs. I am so very thankful that I towed it here. still get kinda steamed about that mech in SC telling my wife we needed a new engine. I'm from SC originally, and don't like that the mech tried to pull that garbage.

When I get the parts I'll start the install and will post pix.

@ AndyBees.. how'd you get the pix in the post??..

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Doing the pics............

You need two windows open. One where the gallery of photos is located and the other where you want to post (that's how I do it).

Click on one of your pics in the gallery. Then scroll down until you see Linked Thumbnail... Now, look all the way over to the right. There you will see a little green thingy inside a yellow box. Click on it. Then there will be two links appear below. Left click on the bottom link (Medium Imagine) which will highlight the link and then right click to copy and then paste in the Post you want it to appear.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I remember you calling me about this a few months ago, I'm very glad you towed it back home also.

Thrust bearings do fail, but this goes to show it is a very rare occurrence. I've only seen a couple on 4cyl vws, and they both had engine rebuilds by people who didn't know what they were doing.

The description you gave still sent red flags up with me.

DaddyMagic

TDI
06 Jetta
The parts got here. Put them on.. engine started up and purred along. Very happy to have the Jetta back. I will admit that I had to go back over and check my torque settings twice.

Overall, I'm very happy. The single mass flywheel revs up quickly.:)

Took a coupe of 20 mile loops around the area and will drive it to work tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to offer helpful advice.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Given the carnage on the clutch, it would be a good idea to check the thrust bearing.

slacken the serpentine belt and try to move the flywheel (or harmonic balancer) in and out. Any perceptable movement over a few thou and you may yet have a thrust bearing issue.

DaddyMagic

TDI
06 Jetta
Still running strong.

I don't know how many more thousand miles I have put since I put this first one up.

However, I am pleased to report that the clutch is still performing very well.

I am going to take the intake manifold off later this weekend and get it ready for cleaning as I am now getting the P2112 code intermittently ..

:rolleyes: