New guy here, need some advice.

Jon Fernandes

TDI
still looking
Hey everyone, my name is Jon. I'll be picking up a Tdi jetta soon, within the next few weeks hopefully. I had a mk3 a few months ago that I loved, slammed and all, but I sold it because it was automatic and I could no longer stand driving auto. As with all cars, there are problem spots im sure; what are some things to look out for on these Mk4's? What is the difference between VE and PD engines? The one car im looking at is an '01, which are more desirable years? I'll probably be getting something between '01 and '04. Thanks in advance! :D

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Jon, welcome aboard! Model years 2002 and 2003 are the sweet spot...fitted with a MANual transmission, of course!

Happy hunting.

Jon Fernandes

TDI
still looking
Why's that?

And any rust issues? I know my mk3 (early 1999) has trunk rust issues and some floor rust as well. Thanks again guys

ccs32

Veteran Member
TDI
blue '02 Jetta
No rust on my '02 Jetta (manual trans). I think that there is some sort of window clip problem in the mexican made jettas, but I don't have this problem. I suggest an '02 or '03 with manual trans that WAS NOT TAKEN TO THE DEALERSHIP FOR SERVICE!!!! I think that an '03 german made wagon would be SWEET! But, good luck finding that one...:rolleyes:

Good luck!

Jon Fernandes

TDI
still looking
I was finally able to sell my truck yesterday :) so...

I found an '04 Jetta that I might pick up this weekend, since its an '04 its a PD motor. What exactly is the difference between the earlier VE engines and this one's PD?

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
Jon Fernandes said:
Why's that?

And any rust issues? I know my mk3 (early 1999) has trunk rust issues and some floor rust as well. Thanks again guys
what state is it coming from or spent its life in

my cars are rust free as in zero rust none.........

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Jon Fernandes said:
I was finally able to sell my truck yesterday :) so...

I found an '04 Jetta that I might pick up this weekend, since its an '04 its a PD motor. What exactly is the difference between the earlier VE engines and this one's PD?
Ill et someone else chime in on this one, but i were you Id find an 03

Jon Fernandes

TDI
still looking
The car is coming from NJ, where I live.

As far as mods, is the PD any less moddable then an earlier motor? The '04 in question has 127k miles

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Jon Fernandes said:
The car is coming from NJ, where I live.

As far as mods, is the PD any less moddable then an earlier motor? The '04 in question has 127k miles
nope great car to mod lots of support
there are issues with fuel pumps and cams and that can get expensive.

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
For Jon Fernandez:

If you search through posts on this site you'll see quite a few on camshaft issues with the PD. There's a bit of debate as to whether that issue is a BEW engine problem, BRM engine problem or poor maintenance (ie: wrong oil). They are both PD engines. I have had no problems to date but I do all my own maintenance and have stuck with Pentosynth 505.01 oil since I bought it. If you are unfamiliar with the maintenance on this '04 you'll want to pull the valve cover and check the cam shaft and lifters for wear. If worn you can presume the wrong oil was used and negotiate about $2000 off the sale price. Even if it looks good, at 127,000 miles you should allow for a timing belt change with rollers, tensioner and water pump included in the change. Strongly recommend you do your own repairs. There are plenty of great "how to" instructions on this site. Very few mechanics (including VW dealers) get enough exposure to the diesel engines to follow the step by step necessary to avoid a valve to piston disaster. You on the other hand have a vested interest in seeing it done right. You'll double check and triple check your work. They are not hard to work on (easier than the ALH by the looks of it) but you have to be methodical. Reminder: use only VW spec 505.01 oil for your diesel engine if you buy the car. Two recall issues- Brake switch and Glow plugs. Verify they were replaced.

Jon Fernandes

TDI
still looking
Thanks alot RT1, im actually a mechanic at a small VW shop, so I handle my own repairs on all my vehicles and this one would be no different. How hard it is on a diesel (time-wise) to pull the valve cover at the dealer where its for sale?

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Jon Fernandes said:
Thanks alot RT1, im actually a mechanic at a small VW shop, so I handle my own repairs on all my vehicles and this one would be no different. How hard it is on a diesel (time-wise) to pull the valve cover at the dealer where its for sale?
fairly easy, and if they have nothing to hide whats the big deal?
also can you do a compression check too?

Jon Fernandes

TDI
still looking
how long would it take to take off? im going tomorrow afternoon to check it out at the dealer, guess I should take my own tools or ask to have one of their mechanics take it off so I can see. I'll see if they can do a compression test, but its a VW for sale at a Nissan dealer so we'll see how competent they are. I would bring it to the shop that I work at but its about an hour and a half south.

Jon Fernandes

TDI
still looking
Spoke to a sales rep at the dealer, he said they cant pop the valve cover. Might just bite the bullet if the car is otherwise in good shape, worse comes to worse i'll replace the cam if its worn (ill check when I buy it).

Anything else to consider when checking these cars out?"

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
rust? all interior gadgits working properly

if you do buy it can you remove the valve cover when you get home and post pics?

do you have a compression tester? for diesels?

will they accept it back if there is something wrong with the motor?
even if theres no warrenty can you get it in writing that it can be returned in a week if there are major issues with the car?

Jon Fernandes

TDI
still looking
I should be heading there this afternoon after class, ill make sure I check all the things that were posted and see if I can get it in writing that after I check the motor I can return the car or at least be compensated for parts (if the rest of the car checks out I prefer to just replace the cam if necessary because its a nice deal for a nice car). Thanks again and I appreciate any other suggestions!