Fuel Filter - Made in China

OH3Hoser

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Decided to go to the local dealership for an air filter and fuel filter for the Passat today. The VW OEM fuel filter had "Made in China" printed on the box. I opened the box to take a look at it and sure enough on the filter, Made in china. The gaskets however were made not made in china, but were either Germany or Austria(can't remember)
I mentioned it to the parts gus, and he did not believe me that it was made in China. I asked him to see if he had any other filters in stock made elsewhere.
Sure enough there was one left from Austria. I gladly exchanged the filter.
There seemed to be slight differences between the filters. Has anybody come across these, or know if they would be fine to use since they are VW spec.
BTW, same price for both filters.:rolleyes:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
With something as simple as a filter, I would not be worried about where it is made. Its not an injector nozzle :rolleyes: J/K.

I know people like to bash things made in China, but that is a stereotype. Not all things from China are lower quality. Sure there are a lot of inferior parts coming out of China, but thats how stereotypes start. Its like saying all Canadians are nice people. Because most of us are, we have an Image around the world as nice people. But there are still plenty of A-holes around the country.

Bottom line is, the company that makes them is probably liscenced by VW to make them. Does it gurantee that it is top quality? Not really. But it doesn't mean its garbage either.

Precisiontuning

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
n/a
As far as I know, mahle won the contract. Most of their products are made in Germany or Turkey. I have never come across a Made in China Fuel filter yet. Is there any brand name on the filter?

I just checked my entire stock on Fuel filters

Bosch Made in Spain
Mahle made in Brazil
Hengst made in Bulgeria
MANN made in Germany
Full Made in Thailand

Last edited: