05 Passat Variant 41 MPG

Ted Strong

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 1998, Red; Passat TDI Wagon, 2005, Silverstone Gray
Well, my family of four has now travelled from Tacoma, WA to Portland, OR in our '05 Passat Wagon twice now. The round trip is about 300 miles. I used the cruise control about 1/2 the time and drove between 70 and 80 mph. My trip computer on both roundtrips read 41 mpg.

I now have 15,000 miles on the car and the mileage is definitely improving. The thing I like best is that the car feels very confident bombing down the freeway!

Ted Strong

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Ted Strong said:
Well, my family of four has now travelled from Tacoma, WA to Portland, OR in our '05 Passat Wagon twice now. The round trip is about 300 miles. I used the cruise control about 1/2 the time and drove between 70 and 80 mph. My trip computer on both roundtrips read 41 mpg.

I now have 15,000 miles on the car and the mileage is definitely improving. The thing I like best is that the car feels very confident bombing down the freeway!

Ted Strong
The trip computer showed 41 MPG. What was your true MPG?

TomatoPie

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 Gray
Congrats.

I'm getting average 42 mpg (real mileage, not trip computer) in my 05 Passat Sedan. 96 mile r/t commute, 70% highway. I drive 65 on the highway. On days when I don't carpool, I have one fewer stop, I slow down to 55, and I get (trip computer readouts) of 46-51 mpg.

Took a long trip with the family and luggage -- got under 40 for the first time since the first tankful.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
My experience is that above 65 mileage does start to fall off, and you can see it happen with a headwind at those speeds.

On the other hand, I have had measured runs of 40-42 mpg, so it will do it, but the trip meter is a bit optomistic (.5 to 1.5 mpg)

WeekendWrench

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 passat variant
*pout* i get about 32 running average (calculated) in my '05 variant...not highway, but not in town (local roads between cities, so a fair number of stoplights, but some nice stretches that I'm able to use the cruise control on). MFA shows around 34-35 on average.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Not too bad, I have about the same type of run to work (10 miles), I go in so early there is almost zero traffic and I can time the lights.

All time high was 42.5, but more normal is 36-39 (summer) and its down to 33 now (All MFP which are high).

I use all the tricks of slow aceleration, get it into the next highest gear, etc (entertainment for a overly familiar drive).

Going home in traffic these days its down to 25-32 MFP reading

2005 Passat Wagon

FritzH

TDI
12 Jetta Sportwagen
I haven't had a tank over 35 since I bought the Passat in May. 12-13k on it now, usually running B20-B99. I notice about a 2mpg increase on the display using dino diesel.

No matter how much I complain, it's still twice the mileage I get in my F150!

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
The Canadian gov't rates the car at 5.7 l/100 km which is 50 mpg (imperial) or 42 mpg US. I have no trouble matching that (in summer) but you have to maintain about 65 mph to achieve it, as others have mentioned. I find up to 110 km/h it will run under 6 l/100 km but above that, it creeps up to over 6 (real, not computer). I actually tend to run faster in winter as I know mileage is going to suck anyway.

Lifetime average to date (62,000 km) has been 36.2 mpg (US), 43.4 (imp).

Last edited: