Changed parts - now sounds

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
So I changed my drivers side axle and at the same time replaced the ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, spindles, brakes on both sides.

Now when at a stop with the wheel turned all the way I'm getting the sound like a small pump working hard. I can't think of anything I did that would effect anything to make sounds at a stand still. Unless moving the tie rod in and out caused an air bubble in the power steering? Any ideas?

I want to drive it about 15km tomorrow to get alligned but worried something else is wrong?

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I would be worried about the power steering pump if it did not make noise at the end of travel. Actually I think the noise possibly comes from the rack, but I've never made it a point to pop the hood and get out and listen while someone else cranks the wheel.

Nevertheless, if you've changed the tie rods and ball joints, unless you are very good at marking the original position and getting back to those same settings, at the very least you'd need to take it to an alignment shop to check the toe-in. So you are doing the right thing. Worry about a noise at the end of steering wheel travel? Naah - completely normal.

Cheers,

PH

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
Ya was just the pump fighting to steer with both wheels wanting to go other ways. Perfect after allignment.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
One of the worst things for a steering pump is to be turned to the end. It's pushing against a solid stop and can destroy the seals. Every pump will make the same pumping sound when at the stop. It just sounds a little different when out of alignment.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
So I changed my drivers side axle and at the same time replaced the ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, spindles, brakes on both sides.

Now when at a stop with the wheel turned all the way I'm getting the sound like a small pump working hard. I can't think of anything I did that would effect anything to make sounds at a stand still. Unless moving the tie rod in and out caused an air bubble in the power steering? Any ideas?

I want to drive it about 15km tomorrow to get alligned but worried something else is wrong?

As long as you put the tie rod ends on within a few turns of where they were, your fine, well, defiantly in need of an alignment no matter what. I have had issues where customers did a DIY alignment with a string (its fine but you need to know what you’re doing) and had one tie rod ALL THE WAY IN and the other nearly 2 turns from falling off. So unless you’re in this situation, the pump is Fine. I should defiantly do a proper flush with the proper fluid, but I have never come across a car that did not whine when at full lock as you describe.
It sounds to me that your rods had enough play in them to let the pump not be at full lock but the wheel was, If so you fix the problem and now know you did by the sound its supposed to make.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
Ya it was a really weird sound. Was almost like a failing differential. I didn't change the locking nut on my tie rod ends but being an aftermarket part whos to say the length was 100% and plus ball joints and the spindles putting the ball joint in a completely different location etc. I had been planning an alignment but the thing wasn't really even safe to drive. Hit the brakes, wheel went one way, accelerate and it went the other. Was pretty interesting limping it in. Good thing I have a dirt shoulder most of the way.