Malone, Kerma or other tuning options

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
Just flashed my 2010 Jetta TDI with a stage 2 full delete tune from europe using a KESSv2 clone tool.After I made a complete backup of the factory flash I proceeded to upload my original flash file(at 7 am) to the vendor and had a file back in about an hour. When 10am rolled around she was ready for a test drive. The claim is 185hp and the tune turns off the check engine light for all the stuff deleted.

Malone wants over 600 usd for a similar tune and you have to buy their tool for additional cost. So far I have spend just over 230usd (includes tool) to achieve what I think is the same. The tool can be used on a lot of vehicles and the tune I got was a master file. Anyone know why a Malone/Kerma tune would be preferred or is saving money here the way to go?

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
https://www.dyno-chiptuningfiles.com/
This is where I got mine but there are loads of tuners out there

I don't have the dyno sheets, maybe they do. I said claimed hp and I have no dyno laying in the back of my yard to verify. It goes nice though, losing all grip in first gear and losing traction in second accelerating out of corners. Not sure the mileage yet, have to do a bunch of exhaust work first.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Would be interesting to see Dyno results. Also, what about adjustments? Curious if they do any custom work and if they charge for that.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
Malone

I'll always be with Malone, customer service is the best in the industry, Mark an Owain are always honest and fast. You may have stumbled on a new decent product, but Malone is proven. I too would like to see the Dyno sheets...and wonder what extent of custom tunes they can produce.

Last edited:

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
Would be interesting to see Dyno results. Also, what about adjustments? Curious if they do any custom work and if they charge for that.
Not sure what dyno results you want, their sheets and their dyno is still just a paper sheet versus paper sheet of some car but not mine. Not sure what you mean by adjustments

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll always be with Malone, customer service is the best in the industry, Mark an Owain are always honest and fast. You may have stumbled on a new decent product, but Malone is proven. I too would like to see the Dyno sheets...and wonder what extent of custom tunes they can produce.

There is a link you can click, it is really that easy. From there you can ask them all the questions you want and wonder no more.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Their dyno post doesn't mean jack squat. If you brought your car to a Dyno and shared your results to compare what they advertise, that would be what we are interested in seeing. Malone has always over delivered from what they promised me. After my last turbo upgrade I was told to expect 30hp less. Ended up with 267hp...

https://youtu.be/sK8rjQRICe4

They are busy, but I always hear back in a few days with the adjustments to my tune. Really appreciate that. I know they have put in more time making adjustments for me. Maybe an off the shelf tune for stock hardware your route is a good way to go, but if you want to go further, what kind of support do they offer? Then is the value really there?

Last edited:

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
Their dyno post doesn't mean jack squat. If you brought your car to a Dyno and shared your results to compare what they advertise, that would be what we are interested in seeing. Malone has always over delivered from what they promised me. After my last turbo upgrade I was told to expect 30hp less. Ended up with 267hp...

https://youtu.be/sK8rjQRICe4

They are busy, but I always hear back in a few days with the adjustments to my tune. Really appreciate that. I know they have put in more time making adjustments for me. Maybe an off the shelf tune for stock hardware your route is a good way to go, but if you want to go further, what kind of support do they offer? Then is the value really there?

Means jack squat to me too, so does the one on the malone website. I am in the same boat as most guys that just flash a file and hope for the best. You might be getting special care and tuning but for most of us that's not the case. as a matter of fact, most people here never post dyno results but just flash their ecu and call it good. I might try to get it on a dyno if I can get it done for next to nothing. The hp wasn't the main goal, the delete of the trouble equipment was and perhaps score on some mileage. Post my findings on that later. One of the nice side effects of this tune is that it doesn't stall so easy with the MT, before it would stall quick with a little rpm drop on the releasing of the clutch which you always had to compensate for with your right foot.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, not trying to bash. For an off the shelf tune, may be a great bargain. Keep us posted.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Yahmon,
Hope you enjoy your 2010 TDI. Given how much you paid, it's a steal I think. Please report back on the FE and how the car drives overall. Do you have DPF/EGR deletes?
How about readiness parameters? Would the car with this tune pass California emission test?

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
Yahmon,
Hope you enjoy your 2010 TDI. Given how much you paid, it's a steal I think. Please report back on the FE and how the car drives overall. Do you have DPF/EGR deletes?
How about readiness parameters? Would the car with this tune pass California emission test?
This tune is not emission test friendly, for that you have to get their stage 1
I believe it is the same hp but with all the emission equipment functioning as intended from factory. You can inquire yourself through the link I posted earlier. Probably a cheaper tune too.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Good luck with tune, keep up posted. People on here talk about dyno sheets but 90% of them never put their car on one. Absolutely nothing wrong with getting a bargain, tuning can be expensive and we have limited diesels over here, so it’s easy to take advantage of us as far as pricing goes .

Bajan

bbexotics

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat,2006 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon, 2017 Cayman S
Nice post, interesting, for everyone’s info, all flashes were developed in Europe, first.

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
Waiting for my down pipe, as soon as the dpf and cat are out I will start to record mileage.

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
re tune

Finally got my downpipe on there and getting some mileage readings. Have to say it looks promising, never gotten 550 km on a 1/2 tank before. I settled for ultra cheap stainless steel chinese down pipe from ali express and it fits good.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=130540&title=down-pipe-and-mileage&cat=500
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=130539&title=down-pipe-and-mileage&cat=500

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JKV...184.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.658a4c4dkWWgzZ

Last edited: