What tires did you replace your stock Conti's with???

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Yeah, srry I kinda noobed out.

I ended up ordering a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports, since we're a day or so from months of summer weather. I will report back with my impressions.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Yeah, srry I kinda noobed out.

I ended up ordering a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports, since we're a day or so from months of summer weather. I will report back with my impressions.
I'm interested to hear back on your experience. I was choosing between the super sports and the new a/s 3+. The super sports were cheaper, but in the end I was using the VW goodwill card so I figured I would get a tire that lasted a bit longer.

I'm getting them mounted today and plan to make a thread for a long term test since they are still a new tire on the market and a popular choice among TDI owners.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Here's a quick pic of the new A/S 3+ I had mounted. Thread for a long term test is on the way.

ORG_DSC03778 by DerekG710, on Flickr

I replaced the stock conti's at 40,618 miles. All 4 were in between 4/32nds and 3/32nds. There were still decent in the dry, but loud. They were really starting to transfer a lot of high frequency vibrations into the cabin from the road. They are very easy to break traction with in the wet, but luckily pretty predictable.

If it was summer I would have waited another 3-4k miles, but we have a lot of rain in the spring and they were really sketchy at highway speed in the rain. We also have a ~2800 mile trip next month and will be driving through TN, NC, SC,KY, GA...etc.

The Great Smoky Mts are on the itinerary as well as Tail of the Dragon. Ironically when I bought the car new I flew to Baltimore to pick it up and drove it back to OK. I did Tail of the Dragon with the new conti's so this trip will be a good time to compare the two on a very curvy road lol

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
We ended up buying some Continental PureContact Eco 225/45/17 tires for the car a few months back. I've had them on for maybe a month now. I have been out in this tropical storm Hermine a few times and LOVE the wet traction. To me they are just as good as the original Michelin MXM4's that came on the car. They are so much better with wet traction, compared to our second set of tires, Pirelli P7's. I did not care for those tires whatsoever, but we did get about 58k miles on them, compared to 53k on the Michelins.

I wanted to get Michelin Premier A/S tires, but they were on sale during the Labor Day sale on Discount Tire, so I opted with these since they came out much cheaper.

I only have about 1.5k miles on them, but so far they have been wonderful to us. Wet traction grip was a big thing to me, since it rains often. I stepped on it about 3/4 of the accelerator and the car did not spin at all, while I was turning. With the P7's I would have been spun out and then been fish tailing. Hopefully I can get 50k miles out of them.... if VW doesn't have a horrible fix for our 2010, so we can keep it instead of sale it. We'll see though.

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I remember Tire Rack noting the same issues with wet traction on the P7s. I've had the purecontacts on my car for around 30,000 miles. Even with a tune and aggressive driving it's very hard to brake loose in the dry. Wet traction is a bit of a issue in heavy downpours. But those are the downpours that you don't go fast regardless of how new your tires are.

Overall these are the best all around tires I've personally used. The one and only downside to them is that they have gotten a bit noisy as they've worn down.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
The Michelin Pilot Super Sports handle great and provide nice cornering traction. Nice hydroplane resistance, too. The only downside is they killed my fuel economy. I swear, I get 3-5mpg less with the Super Sports. They had a greater effect on fuel economy than the 23O6 update.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Went with Pirelli Cintauro P7's. So far, they've got about 15K miles on them and are great. Quiet, no measurable effect on fuel economy, no wear issues.

CFTDIdriver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Went with Pirelli Cintauro P7's. So far, they've got about 15K miles on them and are great. Quiet, no measurable effect on fuel economy, no wear issues.
I put of set of these on my 2011 JSW in March of last year and so far, they have been good tires. The original set of Bridgestone Turanza tires were pretty much shot @ 44K miles and cracks were developing between the tread grooves.

I also just recently put a set of Pirelli P4's on my 2003 Jetta TDI (the P7 is not made in that size) as the Continental Pro Contact EcoPlus80K treadware warranty tires were getting low on tread and increasingly noisier after around 48K miles of use. The original stock Goodyear Eagle LS set (appear to only come with a manufacturers defect warranty through retailers) were replaced at 57K w/o any noticeable increase in tire noise or problems so it's my opinion that the Continental's should have lasted longer (were properly rotated and not abused) and did not ride as quiet or handle as well as the Pirelli or Goodyear tires.

sfpegasus

Veteran Member
TDI
none!
Ha Ha. 51,500 on stock Continentals. Surprising amount of tread left, but I fear the rain is coming. Hoping nothing happens between now and the buyback.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
We ended up buying some Continental PureContact Eco 225/45/17 tires for the car a few months back. I've had them on for maybe a month now. I have been out in this tropical storm Hermine a few times and LOVE the wet traction. To me they are just as good as the original Michelin MXM4's that came on the car. They are so much better with wet traction, compared to our second set of tires, Pirelli P7's. I did not care for those tires whatsoever, but we did get about 58k miles on them, compared to 53k on the Michelins.

I wanted to get Michelin Premier A/S tires, but they were on sale during the Labor Day sale on Discount Tire, so I opted with these since they came out much cheaper.

I only have about 1.5k miles on them, but so far they have been wonderful to us. Wet traction grip was a big thing to me, since it rains often. I stepped on it about 3/4 of the accelerator and the car did not spin at all, while I was turning. With the P7's I would have been spun out and then been fish tailing. Hopefully I can get 50k miles out of them.... if VW doesn't have a horrible fix for our 2010, so we can keep it instead of sale it. We'll see though.
I chose the Pure Contact Ecoplus as well. The Goodwill credit card made it a sweet deal (about $100 for set of 4 mounted). I decided to get slightly taller tires to drop the revs a bit, so went with 205/60R 16s

Only ~3% drop in rpm at any speed in any gear compared to the OEM ProContact 205/55s. But quieter. No idea about any change in fuel economy. That will take months to evaluate.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm on my second set of Bridgestone Ecopias. Got about a 5 mpg boost when I put the first set on. They were replaced at about 65k miles due to poor wet traction. I think they're rated at 70k from Costco.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Federal SS595s! For track days/autox. They're cheap. They're loud as hell, but have great dry traction for the money. 240 treadwear. Hopefully getting a different wheel setup for next year, and will hopefully be running Continental ExtremeContact Sport. Awesome tires, I've had a set in the past and they had some of the best wet grip I've ever experienced. Still getting 40mpg on sticky tires too!

b757236

TDI
2011 JSW 2015 GSW SEL
I have the conti pure contact LS (formally DWS, still has the stamp in tread) and on my second set. 98000 on the the last set..Ill take it.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I run Conti SureContacts on both my MK6 Golf and MK7 GSW and they are great! I also run 235 series instead of 225 for a little extra rubber and have absolutely no issues.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I just replaced the last 2 original Contis (42K miles) with Sumitomo HTRs, as these are what I had on the other 2 wheels. Now running a matching set of 225/45/R17 XL 94W

The HTR A/S P02's have been running great the last 23K miles, have plenty of tread left, and are Japanese made. They seem to be holding up well, with great traction in the dry and wet and even light/moderate snow. I wanted a matching set before we get more snow.

The 2 new ones cost me $150.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
Running conti extreme sport all season. Like they are glued to the pavement, we will see how they stick on snow & ice. $150 a tire, only 5 k so far.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
This is an easy one - of the 7 TDIs here, 5 use Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. I couldn't be happier with the ride quality, especially on a wet road. Not super quiet, but not as loud as some other tires (in particular, these crappy Yokohama YK580s I got for free with a set of Porto rims I bought for $200).

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
This is an easy one - of the 7 TDIs here, 5 use Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. I couldn't be happier with the ride quality, especially on a wet road. Not super quiet, but not as loud as some other tires (in particular, these crappy Yokohama YK580s I got for free with a set of Porto rims I bought for $200).
Be sure to look into the SureContacts next time you're ready to buy. They are a step up (newer design/tech) from the DWS, you won't be disappointed. [emoji41]

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Be sure to look into the SureContacts next time you're ready to buy. They are a step up (newer design/tech) from the DWS, you won't be disappointed. [emoji41]

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Did they just come out, and are they also W rated tires? I also confess, thanks to having some many vehicles, that I pick up a lot of my tires from bestusedtires.com (obviously using my own discernment of what to pick up, to save money). Been using using them for about two years with no problems.

EDIT - googled them. Bestusedtires.com has 2 as of this post, but Conti's website says they're exclusive to 3 retailers, of whom none are within a 50 mile radius of me. The's one thing I like about the ExtremeContact DWS06 - they're a lot easier to come by.
How different are ride characteristics with the SureContact RX?

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Did they just come out, and are they also W rated tires? I also confess, thanks to having some many vehicles, that I pick up a lot of my tires from bestusedtires.com (obviously using my own discernment of what to pick up, to save money). Been using using them for about two years with no problems.

EDIT - googled them. Bestusedtires.com has 2 as of this post, but Conti's website says they're exclusive to 3 retailers, of whom none are within a 50 mile radius of me. The's one thing I like about the ExtremeContact DWS06 - they're a lot easier to come by.
How different are ride characteristics with the SureContact RX?
I think they are quieter (from what I remember) than the DSW as that was my only memorable complaint with those when I had them probably 4/5yr ago. I had replaced some Conti-Pro Contacts with them. The SureContact's ride, drive and wear great, they look good too. :D

I'll have to check out the best used tires site, never heard of them and who doesn't love options!