Biodiesel at Murphy USA (Walmart) fuel stations???

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Hey guys,

I have been fueling my '06 Jetta at the local Murphy USA (Walmart) fuel station whenever I am in town. Last time I filled up I noticed a label on the pump that says it may contain from 5-20% biodiesel...:eek:

Is this going to be a problem for my little TDI? And my big Duramax truck for that matter???

Should I find a new fuel station?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
From what I've read here, only if you are still under the VW warranty.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
No problems at all, in fact alot of people prefer Bio as it has more lubricity than ULSD. If you are tracking mileage you may see a slight difference in economy. The Dirtymax is a different issue depending on the year...

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Alot of the stations here in Illinois have the same label, but I have never had any problems.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the replies... My Chevy is an '01 with a lot of mods... We will be putting an upgraded CP3 high pressure pump, Air Dog lift pump and new injector tips in the next week or two. Should be good for around 650 horsepower when were done with it!

CedarPark68

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagen
I've used the WalMart Murphy from time to time and I also noticed the new sticker.

I'm fine with this, but what seems ODD is that full Murphy Stations ( suddenly now popping up here in Texas, we've never had them ) do not have the same B5 note.

I've asked the Murphy station folks and they say their diesel is NOT B5. The person at the WalMart pumps has no clue.

Jim W

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the replies... My Chevy is an '01 with a lot of mods... We will be putting an upgraded CP3 high pressure pump, Air Dog lift pump and new injector tips in the next week or two. Should be good for around 650 horsepower when were done with it!
Chris, I have read were Bio-Diesel will clean your fuel tank and fuel lines. You will see more debris in the fuel filter for awhile if you are at the high end of the Bio-Diesel concentration. I would carry a couple of spare fuel filters for awhile for the Chevy since it is a “01” in case of plugging.
I would also look into a 2 mu fuel filter as an added on before the CP3 pumps. I am using a Glacier Diesel Performance big line kit for my 08 Ram.
Jim W.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
Based on an email response I got from my inquiry to Murphy Oil about the sticker, 3% of their product is FAME biodiesel, 7% is soy biomass-based diesel (presumably HVO), and 90% is ULSD, at least that's what the blend is in Tennessee.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man

No worries, if it were newer you would have to be careful. Dont worry about the "bio" clean either, unless you are running B50 or higher it shouldnt be an issue, but it's never a bad idea to have an extra filter around.

On a side note, when you install your Air Dog, try to locate it as far away as you can from the cab...they are NOISY!

wikki

TDI
2010 Jetta
I frequently fill up at the Murphy USA near my house in SC as well. The sticker just showed up on the pumps within the last couple of weeks. It's actually becoming more and more prevalent. There is a local chain from the upstate the has been selling B20 (I think it's the Willie Nelson bio) for a while.

I was kind of wondering the same thing about the car. I've got a 2010 Jetta with about 60K on it. I hear people saying that it will be fine and I imagine there are people that have been running on B20 for a while now.

Elliott2254

TDI
2010 Jetta TDi Sportwagon
I have just completed 122,00 miles and just did the 120K major service. Most of the fuel burned during this time has been Murphy and the last 2 or three years it has been B5-20. I have had no problems to date and don't expect any. It is convenient and generally the best price.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I have just completed 122,00 miles and just did the 120K major service. Most of the fuel burned during this time has been Murphy and the last 2 or three years it has been B5-20. I have had no problems to date and don't expect any. It is convenient and generally the best price.
Have you had a chance to check the ash load and other important parameters in your DPF during these 122,000 miles?

Waikano

TDI
2003 Jetta
Sorry to resurrect an older Thread...in the past I was running B100 in my 2003 TDI, 1999 6.5 Suburban, and my 1984 6.2L Silverado. When you run high BioDiesel mixes you have to change hoses and seals since it's very aggressive on rubber. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any in several years and noticed the Mixes at the Murphy Stations. Might just be in my head, but it seems like I get better mileage with the Murphy's Bio Mixes...like about 39-40mpg vice 37-38mpg. And yes it will clean out your fuel system so keep an extra filter handy.

HillbillyJim

TDI
2115 Passat
I have run bio20 soydiesel in my 2001 Duramax for 15 years. Never a problem. Now fill up my 2015 TDI every third time with bio. Never had a filter or or hose problem.