Is there a CV Joint replacement "HOW TO?

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
I didn't see it on the "HOW TO" thread.

Just want to know what is involved in doing so.

Can some one point me in the right direction?

Thanks

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Remove axle nut, wheel, and lower ball joint. Unbolt CV axle. Push axle through spindle. Installation is the reverse.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Nuke: that's the procedure for removing the driveshaft / axle...

Once the driveshaft's out, then you get to get your hands dirty playing with the CV joint itself...

The inner ones have a kind of C-clip that holds them on... the outer joints, I believe (it's been a while), can be driven off the end of the shaft with a plastic hammer...

Yuri

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Keith, your most likely going to do this for me, so glad you answered! LOL
Just wanted to have some pics to see what it all looks like.

Caledoniatdi

TDI
2002 Jetta
Here is maybe an alternate approach, Remove axle nut, Don't remove lower ball joint, remove tie rod where it attaches to the knuckle, take the bolts out of the half shaft, when loose push the half shaft staight up, turn the wheel (driver side) to the right, so with the wheel turned (easy to turn because the tie rod is off) and the tie rod pushed up, this gives just enough room to slide the spline shaft out of the hub. I have an 02 and this worked for me on the driver side, not sure of the passanger side

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
The basics are this:

My inner driver's side cv boot is half ripped off. I bet it has been for a while. At this point I feel I will need to replace the axle and of course, the CV boot. The outer boot is fine. As I was looking for parts on impex, I can get non OEM parts for at a 1/4 of the price, at least the axle. Anyone have experience with these non OEM parts? Would save me a several hundred bucks, which is great in these times.
All I need the axle and the inner boot kit? Can you guys confirm my parts list? Thanks

Links from impex:
http://www.worldimpex.com/search_by_model.html?mode=category_results&year=1999&make_id=1&model_id=463&category_id=1317

http://www.worldimpex.com/search_by_model.html?mode=category_results&year=1999&make_id=1&model_id=463&category_id=1368

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
The non OEM parts are 99% CRAP and come from China. LOTS of reports with problems, ie weird vibrations, sounds, short lifespan.

What I would do (and have done) is swap the inner joints. That puts the balls on a fresh race surface. It is like having a new joint. Totally free and it works great. Just pull both shafts and swap them on the bench. Clean, reboot, regrease with good CV grease, 4oz per boot. This is the way to go. No part expenditures, and you can have it done today.

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
The swap works only if the joint isnt too torn up from dirt and debris. Avoid aftermarket axles, unless going for upgraded ones, as a lot of them are junk like manny said. I put a brand new axle in a passat for a lady and when I did the test drive the new axle sounded worse than the old one. So we put her old one back in, informed her of the situation, and ordered up an OEM one.

stefan_b

TDI
Skoda Octavia, 1.9 TDI BXE 77KW, MY2008
Am I missing something? I thought the joint parts (inner/outer races and balls) are matched? If this is so, swapping parts out of both joints would create unmatched sets....

IMHO it's best to take off the "sick" joint and if required replace it. If you're cost conscious, I'd recommend a 2nd hand axle or inner joint with new boots. I second the opinion that "non-OEM" parts are usually of debatable quality.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
stefan_b said:
Am I missing something? I thought the joint parts (inner/outer races and balls) are matched? If this is so, swapping parts out of both joints would create unmatched sets...
They're talking about taking the entire CV-joint off the axle and swapping it with the one on the other side... Thus the joint remains as a unit, but is turning (mostly) in an opposite direction...

Yuri

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
stefan_b said:
Am I missing something? I thought the joint parts (inner/outer races and balls) are matched? If this is so, swapping parts out of both joints would create unmatched sets...
Yup, you are. Like Yuri said, you just swap the entire CV joint. You must match the races together. But the balls are matched as a set.

When I did this, I used a correction pen ('liquid paper' type) to mark the inner and outer. Then disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled.

Usually when an inner joint (or outer, for that matter, but the inner is very easy to remove & replace) is bad, it is a problem on the races of the inner part that is on the axle. Out of the 3 I've seen so far, all 3 have what look like blistered spots on the inner races. Once a ball settles in one, it will create unbalanced loading and unbalanced movement within the joint. This is the source of the power-on shimmy you then feel in the steering wheel.

But like manny said, when you put that same CV joint on the opposite axle, since it is now rotating in the opposite direction, the opposite sides of the races are now receiving the pressure, and it will work well because those opposite sides aren't blistered.

The OP has 3 choices: 1) replace the boot only, clean the joint, and reassemble with the parts (grease, c-clip) that come with a new boot kit, 2) replace the axle 3) swap CV joints side to side.

The boots on the inner don't get torn up on removal, so you'd only need to replace the one that is torn now, and clean and re-grease both joints if you decide to swap them. For the non-torn boot side - hey, you don't even need to replace the c-clip, IMO, because it doesn't really get much stress. If you remove the CV joint that is under the torn boot, you can clean up the joint and take a good look at those races to see if you really need a new joint or if you can just clean it & put it back into its current location.

This is a case where you can delve into the problem to get a good look at the extent of the real damage before you decide what you have to do.

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Not to contradict the excellent advice already posted, but my vote would be to avoid the swap sides method.

For a "home" mechanic, the swap means investing a fair amount of time and trouble to do something that may need to be done again soon. My fear is that the balls, which are not in any way directional, may have been damaged if the races show damage and will fail (or more accurately flat-spot and cause the races to finish failing) later, or sooner.

The folks who recommend this are not wrong, but may have different tolerance for making this gamble than the OP.

If it were me, I wouldn't want the nagging worry as I drove the swapped CVs down the road.

-dan

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I've put in fair at least a dozen of the aftermarket axles, and only had one that gave a vibration problem. We warrantied it and put another in and it was fine. I think the passenger side axle is far more prone to this problem.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, that how-to on their website has a couple of debatable points...

The transmission flange bolts that they supply they torque at 50 Ft*Lbs... The original VW ones are spec'ed at 30 Ft*Lbs... I'm just wondering about how the difference affects things... (like the threads on the flanges...)

If you're going to remove the ball joint from the lower control arms, it's been suggested here that you carefully mark the position of the bolts (or use a spray paint), to avoid the need for an alignment. (Keep in mind that these are supposed to be one-time use bolts, according to VW...) One of the local techs removes the nut holding the ball joint to the steering knuckle instead... it's (possibly a lot) more work (and involves pushing out the outer CV joint from the hub), but he says that's how he keeps the alignment...

That's all that comes to mind...

Yuri

slate

TDI
Jetta
Is it possible to rebuild the CV joint while it is still on the axle? Taking the tranny out (not fun) and we must have conked the drivers side CV joint since a ball bearing plopped out. Looks like the cage is below the races. I am really hoping I can pop the ball bearing back in and get it back around the races??

esqilax

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 03 Jetta.
I greased my left inner boot after the boot had been ripped for a little while. Couldn't save it and now it goes bong bong bong.

here's a pic:

Last edited:

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Think if i drill to small holes (1/8)through the ball joint mount to mark it's location, then I won't need a alignment. I can just line up the holes.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
When I did mine, I didn't touch the ball joints. Simply unbolted the axles from the tranny, lifted them up over the flange, and was able to swing them out of the knuckle. I also had to unbolt the sway bar links to make enough room to get them out.

My 99.5 has the classic vibration on acceleration so I took the axles out, took the inner joints off, cleaned them up really good, swapped sides, and repacked them we grease.

Worked like a champ and cost me nothing.

kurtzl

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I also looked for a procedure, but didn't find one. So i'm putting one together that will hopefully be useful to someone else. I do have a couple questions though, and i'm hoping someone who's done this before can answer them for me.

The Bentley manual talks about an inner boot clamp, but the complete inner joint kit i got from germanautoparts.com didn't come with one. There wasn't one on the boot when i started, but i thought that after 250,000 miles it wasn't impossible that i'd lost it at some point. To further muddy the water, the exploded axle diagram in the book shows boot clamps for the outer joint, but no clamp for the inner joint. Anyone know if it exists, or am i chasing unicorns?

2nd question - the joint kit came with 2 dished washers - one splined and the other not. Apart from that they seem to be identical. There's only a splined washer in my original disassembled joint, but the list of parts next to the exploded diagram indicates that the dished washer should be installed so that the "outer diameter (concave side) faces thrust washer". I'll confess i don't know what the thrust washer is, but i'm quite certain it wasn't in the original joint! Is this for an axle that's slightly different than the one in the A3 TDI?

Last question (for now) - the book calls for 120 grams of grease. 60 in the joint, the other 60 in the boot. The joint kit came with an 80g packet of grease. Should i worry about the additional 40g? If so, i would think i should use 120g of the same grease rather than mixing 2 different greases.

Thanks for any help!

Bocefus

TDI
Jetta 2004 Platinum Grey
I have a little problem. I'm in the middle of this job but didn't mark the bearing correctly. The first side I just eyeballed and it went back together no problem, unfortunately the second side not so much... I've tried every orientation of the inner race in the cage, any time it will snap into the outer race it's solid. Any advice is appreciated!

Kurtzl, the passenger side boot doesn't have a clamp, only the driver's side, the designs are completely different.

I got boot kits from the dealer, there should be one dished/splined washer and one c-clip. One thing I found handy for the c-clip was to drive it on to the end of the shaft with a 24mm socket and then seat it into the groove by giving a couple taps with a punch.

No idea about the grease, I just packed as much into the bearing as I could and put the rest in the boot.

Last edited:

Bocefus

TDI
Jetta 2004 Platinum Grey
Figured it out! I remembered reading somewhere along the line that the tracks of the inner and outer race shouldn't match, the skinny/wide ends need to be opposite so they basically make an X. The bearings needed to be shifted slightly, which is why I was having so much trouble, but it popped right in and works like it should. Now I can put my car back together! Hooray!!!

kurtzl

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Thanks for the confirmation on the boot clamp Bocefus.

I discovered the same thing when i was playing with the joint i took apart - and i had a bit of a struggle getting it apart once i'd put it together wrong! I had already read about how to properly assemble the joint...but curiosity got the best of me and i wanted to know what would happen if i put it together the other way. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, i'll be sure to include a picture of the correct assembly when i post the write up (almost done).

kurtzl

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Thanks for the link Peter - that's a nice detailed writeup. Unfortunately, I was actually looking for a complete joint rebuild procedure for the inner joint, not a reboot for the outer joint.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
The above is excellent. The procedure should be the same accross the various chassis.

--Nate