I am Fu** , HPFP dead

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Looks like you have around 140000 miles right? wow just over the 120000 warranty.. if it is the hpfp..good luck!

deadcar

TDI
'10 JSW
Seth1065, any updates on your end on what you're doing? We are in exactly the same boat. 2nd HPFP failed last week, no warranty, not even another car to drive....

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Deadcar ( BTW great name) I am going to have to replace the HPPF pump I have a few offers from folks here to get they used ones ( PM me for more details if you want) It is throwing good money after bad but I spoke w my VW and 3 dealers and the car has to be drivable, I am trying to do the bare mim, but my indie says I gotta replace the pump and the injectors and he recommends replacing the 2 pumps in the full tank, not sure I will go that far, he ball parked me around $2500 if I go that route w used parts. To do it correctly would be more but I am not willing to fix it 100% so I can drive it to my nearest VW dealer and I have no idea where I am on the list so this may be a year from now.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
130,000 miles first one went at about 70,000 miles

Looks like you have around 140000 miles right? wow just over the 120000 warranty.. if it is the hpfp..good luck!

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
I think your ok I THINK VW has a 120,000 mile warranty on the HPFP , please confirm by calling VW directly not the dealer

2014 Passat TDI HPFP Fail at 60,846 Miles.Out of warrany.
On 10-20-16 at 6:00PM, Vehicle stalled without warning in middle of 6 lane Freeway at rush hour. Travel speed at time of stall 40MPH, adjacent exit lane was moving at 65 MPH plus. Had to coast through traffic to emergency lane. Would not restart.
Towed to dealer. Diagnosed as Catastrophic High Pressure Fuel Pump Failure. Fuel diagnosis acceptable. Despite earlier models having extended warranty my Vin # apparently is not included (Manufactured 8-2013, Engine manufacture date unknown to me).
Odometer reading 60,846 miles, Powertrain Warranty 60,000 miles. Serviced at dealer on 10-12-16 at 59,833 miles including fuel filter.
VWOA denied any warranty claim, later agreed to 50% of cost. I paid $2,843.16
All services performed, Fueled at local station all receipts kept.
Failed Pump Part Number 03L-130-755-AB. Replaced with P/N 03L-130-851-HX.
I am hoping that with enough reports to NHTSA the warranty on fuel pumps will be extended beyond the 2012 models.
I actually wonder if dealer followed correct priming procedure during service.
This is a heartbreaker for me, I LOVE this car but now have no faith and cannot afford another failure.
I will now take buyback, My old Dodge truck, 1996 Cummins with 500K miles has never let me down, it will go back to being my daily driver.
I place part of the blame on USA's aversion to Diesel cars, unrealistic emission values compared to trucks, crappy fuels. I was told to NOT use additives as it would compromise the DPF.
I may look for another TDI after the dieselgate dust has settled, low mileage, buy extended warranty but do all servicing myself, I will use additives and I will also add the filters i have learned about in these posts.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I think your ok I THINK VW has a 120,000 mile warranty on the HPFP , please confirm by calling VW directly not the dealer
The extended HPFP warranty only covers through 2012 vehicles. 2013 and later are just the standard warranty.

TDiTucson

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Plat Grey Loyal Ed
The IRONY...

Well don't feel too bad, same thing happened to me HPFP Official Thread - My Story

In my estimation it was easier to replace the whole fuel system to ensure it ran when bringing it back. Plus when I called on the phone they stated "it has to run", so that made the decision a little easier. Now not covering it and having to eat $3300 in the shorts...well thats a different story.

All the reassuring stories here about 2-3 HPFP failures give me the comfort I need to sleep well at night to simply have it bought back to avoid the same.

I may also attempt to get some extra money back and part out some of the "easy" stuff like rims, mats, spare tire, etc. (use your imagination).

Last edited:

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks oil hammer, I guess replacing the injectors will have to happened, 1/4 million miles I hope so I got about 50,000 out of my replacement HPFP. Any chance I can pass on the other pumps in the fuel tank?

I just recently got to do my very first HPFP, and I ended up having to replace the injectors too. I tried without doing them, after a thorough cleaning of the fuel system and replacement of all three pumps and the filter, but it would not build rail pressure. Turns out that all it takes is one bad injector to cause a bypass and that injector will just let all the pressure push back out the return side, so no rail pressure.
Customer is keeping their car, so it was no problem he paid for four new injectors and off the car went ready for its next 1/4 million miles.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
I feel your pain, my goal is fix it a cheap as possible and drive it straight to VW , no driving it anywhere else. I am fortunate enough that I have a spare car so that helps. I thought about parking my car for the full 2 years to get back some of the money back via mileage adjustment but it is not worth it.

Well don't feel too bad, same thing happened to me HPFP Official Thread - My Story

In my estimation it was easier to replace the whole fuel system to ensure it ran when bringing it back. Plus when I called on the phone they stated "it has to run", so that made the decision a little easier. Now not covering it and having to eat $3300 in the shorts...well thats a different story.

All the reassuring stories here about 2-3 HPFP failures give me the comfort I need to sleep well at night to simply have it bought back to avoid the same.

I may also attempt to get some extra money back and part out some of the "easy" stuff like rims, mats, spare tire, etc. (use your imagination).

heykw

Veteran Member
TDI
fleet
I bet the will run with just a hpfp replaced, not very well but good enough for the buy back.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I bet the will run with just a hpfp replaced, not very well but good enough for the buy back.

Well, my experience has shown that it will not run, because it will not even build rail pressure.

What I replaced was:

in-tank lift pump
aux electric pump
filter
rail pressure regulator
rail pressure sensor
injectors
injector return tube

And then I THOROUGHLY cleaned the tank (put a magnet on a stick and swished it around in the tank to grab any metal particles), drained the tank, manually flushed both the feed and return lines running from the tank to under the hood, cleaned each and every pipe and hose and filter cannister and blew it all dry with compressed air.

I also put a new timing belt kit on since it was already 30k miles overdue anyway.

I tried to do it without the injectors, no good. Don't know if I could have skipped the electric pumps. Was not interested in risking it as the owner will still be driving this car after this whole buyback nonsense blows over. I was just trying to save him some money with the injectors, or at least I thought I could take a "wait and see" approach as to if it would run poorly. But as it turns out, it wouldn't run at all.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
And then I THOROUGHLY cleaned the tank (put a magnet on a stick and swished it around in the tank to grab any metal particles
Brian, do you recall how much debris from the tank was captured by the magnet stick? Was it noticeable?

Bow bad was the pump on that car?

oilhammer

TDI
Not much in the tank, but there was some. Volume wise, I would say no more than a lima bean's worth total from the tank.

Can't say "how bad" the HPFP was, as I guess it is sort of like asking "how pregnant" one could be. :p

It just was a typical died while driving scenario, with a low rail pressure fault stored, and it had metal particles in the filter canister.

There was a core on the pump, and I did not take it apart.

Don't have much more info than that, sorry. It was a fairly easy job, just time consuming and tedious. And obviously the parts are not cheap, but at least the HPFP cost is reasonable, not like it was when these were new.

Total bill out the door for this job was $4385 and that included a new timing belt and an oil change was on there. So, not chump change for sure, but I have done plenty of injection pumps on ALHs around the same mileage and those are not exactly cheap either (but obviously not THIS much).

Last edited:

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
Oil Hammer,
Would buying a used field tank had been easier? I guess I am in w injectors and the tank motors as well as I need the thing to run, maybe only 20 miles or so but need it to run.

miniion26

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mercedes E320 CDI
Oil Hammer,
Would buying a used field tank had been easier? I guess I am in w injectors and the tank motors as well as I need the thing to run, maybe only 20 miles or so but need it to run.

What happens if you open the tank and drop a huge magnet into it? You only have to drive a short distance, correct?

oilhammer

TDI
Just did another one, finished it yesterday. Shame someone cannot rebuild these injectors, as that would cut the cost of this job quite a bit. And I suppose you *could* clean up both the electric pumps too so long as they are still working. Maybe run the aux pump backwards to push any debris out, and take apart the lift pump and run it backwards as well as clean up all the debris from around the inlet screen. That seems to be where most of the visible crap ends up.

cas.lane

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Is there a number we can contact to speak with whom will be administering the buyback program? Or do we just call the dealer? Or is that the same person?

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
The dealer really does not have much to do with this, VW corp is sending people in to do the buyback so you gotta call VW, I am having my "new to me" HPFP put in soon, I still have to get injectors and some other crap to hand to my indie but hopefully I will have it back together by 12/1.

Is there a number we can contact to speak with whom will be administering the buyback program? Or do we just call the dealer? Or is that the same person?

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
The dealer really does not have much to do with this, VW corp is sending people in to do the buyback so you gotta call VW, I am having my "new to me" HPFP put in soon, I still have to get injectors and some other crap to hand to my indie but hopefully I will have it back together by 12/1.
Were you able to locate and buy a used but good HPCR injection pump? Is it also possible to find take out but good injectors?

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
You now those injectors can be repaired, right?

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
NO!
Do not ever try it at home. You will ruin the injectors for good if there's metal stuff all through them if you try it like that. It's even more critical than the PD injectors with breaking stuff inside. Then the calibration codes need to be recalculated from those stamped on them.

We do offer this as a service though.

PoundSand

TDI
none
well, looks like i'm in the same situation. >=-(

op mentioned several offers for a hpfp - please pm me if you have a good used pump. gah.

(this is 2nd one, 2010 tdi, 165k miles)

cas.lane

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
so does anyone have the contact name/number for the person that would be responsible for handling the buyback?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
There's not one person that would be responsible for handling the buyback, there's thousands of people.

Per the FAQ on Volkswagen's site and on the FTC's site, 844-98-CLAIM is the phone number for the Volkswagen Claims Center.

Yukon4Runner

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (buyback) 2015 Golf Sportwagen (buyback buy)
I can see how the quarterly performance review for the sole VW buyback representative would go...

"Johnson, we've been getting a lot of customer complaints about long wait times..."

so does anyone have the contact name/number for the person that would be responsible for handling the buyback?

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
Update time, my TDI is back in VW hands as of yesterday, I picked it up from my indie w my "new " HPFP and systems ready to go, it was 16 miles from my indie shop to the dealer and my goal when my 2 HPFP went was $100 bucks a mile and I made it. I had put in a donated used HPFP ( thanks Ken) and used injectors my indie bought for me. Mike from M&M auto in Montague NJ did the work and did a great job. I did not replace the fuel tank and not sure if the pump in the tank was replaced. total cost was around $1200 and that is w a donated HPFP, Got to admit I was a little nervous making the drive, had to jump the car as the new batt. I bought in Oct I took out and put in a old one I had around the house , but IT made it, I drove the whole way with the pano roof open in 25 degree weather but it was a blast one last drive w the roof open, even my cracked DPF light was not on! So ends my TDI ownership. Huge shout out to everyone who helped me with this ordeal, Mike from M&M, Mcguirk who offered to sell me used injectors, who I hope I convinced him to put his car back into service and take the buy out, and esp Ksing44 who donated me the pump, I will lurk on the board from time to time but to all peace.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
To me this whole story and the ones about others who "totalled" their car and then got it bought back plus got insurance money are the counter arguments to those who said they had to get their buy backs right way. "Too much of a risk to keep it" they say. "I am loosing too much on mileage". All nonsense!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk