Traction Control Switch Questions

gopack471

TDI
'14 Jetta TDI
Hi everyone first post here about my first TDI. I want to add the USP Motosports Traction Control Switch to my '14 Jetta TDI (non-premium). (link)

Question 1 is that my console looks like this:

I don't have blank buttons to put the switch in. Does anybody know the VW Part number for ordering a set of the blank buttons, or even what they would be called? I tried taking a look through the VW part catalog but couldn't find them.

Also if anybody else has installed this on a '14 I'm curious about the bit on their site that says some '14 models need to have their ABS coding updated which I'm assuming is done through VCDS. I do plan on buying that someday, but not until I'm out of the factory maintenance window. Hoping the standard TDI isn't included in that

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
that's interesting... you have a credit card slot instead of button blanks

the first thing you need (if you haven't done so yet) is winter tires (maybe an extra set of wheels).

then you can start assembling parts.

the console: (check the dealership to see which one you have, in case you need to order it)
5C7857925

middle blank covers
1K0959623D

outer blank
1K0959623C

Last edited:

gopack471

TDI
'14 Jetta TDI
the first thing you need (if you haven't done so yet) is winter tires (maybe an extra set of wheels).
I made it about 2500 miles this summer before giving up on the Bridgestones and putting on a set of Michenlin Premier AS. I know they're no substitute for real winter tires, but I've always been fine on a good set of all-seasons.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I used to think the same way... until I tried winter tires.

you'll be in better control with a set of winter tires.

see hevster1.

he replaced Tire King in Susssex, as the place I go to for tires.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
I used to think the same way... until I tried winter tires.

you'll be in better control with a set of winter tires.

see hevster1.

he replaced Tire King in Susssex, as the place I go to for tires.

+1 I've used both blizzaks and general artctic altimax's and the difference vs all seasons is no comparison. That said...they handle only so so on dry pavement. My commute is straight hwy so no concern there.

Good to know about hvester1...I work out in MIddletown NY and he's not to far away;)

centralORtdi

TDI
2012 jetta tdi
I found the switch and wiring harness on ebay for $72.50 shipped. Worked great on my car and there is a great install video on youtube.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I have custom made harness that extend's the TPMS wiring and moves it to the Console along with the TPMS switch and the traction control switch

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I also installed a custom switch, out of cheapness, not because it's better than anything else.

I messed around with the VAG-COM coding with help from another VW owner nearby. We tried changing a few bits here and there but nothing made a difference. Regardless of what we did when you pressed the button the T/C light would come on and when you press it again it would turn off. I was trying to turn off ESP as well (press for 5-10 secs) like they do on the Golf R's but didn't have any success.

If anyone knows the trick to fully disable ESP please post it here :)

nick02

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta silver
The last car I had, (Sonata) had this. I didn't care for it at all. I have been reading up on switch install. If the switch powers pin 39 to defeat system, couldn't power from the ignition circuit power pin 39? If you need to push the switch each time the car is started, if it is wired from ignition to pin 39, a switch would not be necessary would it? Nick

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Nick02,
I thought about this a bit as well. I don't think it would be a good idea to just supply a steady 12v signal to the T/C input. I was going to use a small delay timer to supply a 12v momentary signal to the ABS module upon startup.

Has anyone hacked the ABS module programming? Ideally you could just reset the default setting at the module level to have the T/C off and press the button to turn it back on. If someone was able to do this, then ESC bypass should also be possible.