good samurai swap candidate?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Found this one for sale locally but owner hasn't put a price on it. It's as nice of any I've ever seen inside and out. Has an early vw gasser engine. I've got a spare alh on the shelf. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Bczuk

Veteran Member
TDI
LWB Samurai - 2001 Jetta
Nice looking Samurai. Could be a fun wheeler even with the gas motor

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Whomever built it put nice low pan hard bar on the back to keep the roll center low. Should help the infamous Samurai roll over tendency. Hopefully a BHW or an ALH would bolt up to the bellhousing since it's already got a VW gasser engine.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
That's a nice looking vehicle!

Ever since Samuri conversions were all the rage I've thought about a late 90's Tracker might be an interesting conversion.

Steve

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A tracker or a sidekick would also be cool. Anyone got any suggestions for a good price for me to offer for this Samurai? It would be great for tooling around town and still getting 35 mpg with the ALH.

Bczuk

Veteran Member
TDI
LWB Samurai - 2001 Jetta
Its hard to say what he will want for it. Looks like he has invested a lot of time and money into it. I've seen clean stock zuks go for $5000+ and also for a lot less so its pretty hard to judge

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Its hard to say what he will want for it. Looks like he has invested a lot of time and money into it. I've seen clean stock zuks go for $5000+ and also for a lot less so its pretty hard to judge
If I can get it for 6-8k$, I might pull the trigger. Can you tell what vw gasser is in it? Would an ALH be an easy bolt up or is an expensive adapter/flywheel/clutch in my future? Should I do some searches on early VW Diesel conversions? The transfer case is another issue. Looks like this one is lifted enough that oil pan clearance wouldn't be a major problem.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If I can get it for 6-8k$, I might pull the trigger. Can you tell what vw gasser is in it? Would an ALH be an easy bolt up or is an expensive adapter/flywheel/clutch in my future? Should I do some searches on early VW Diesel conversions? The transfer case is another issue. Looks like this one is lifted enough that oil pan clearance wouldn't be a major problem.
Based on what I can see looks like the ABA 2.0 engine from a Mk3.

Steve

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm in contact with ACME about adapter plates. Any feedback on them?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Looks like an ABA with a custom turbo and intake setup on it. If it runs good, I'd leave it alone. That is a pretty good engine, even with the added stress of a turbo on it, so long as it isn't tuned too crazy.

But if you REALLY want to make it a diesel, the 1Z/AHU TDI is the same basic family as the ABA (assuming that is indeed what it is.... easy way to tell is if it has a distributor). So all the mounting, oil pan, etc. should switch over.

The ALH I think would be a better choice, since it is a tougher engine overall, and has a little better aftermarket build support. It will use slightly different mounts as well as oil pan, but the bolt pattern will be the same.

In either case, you'd have to figure out how to make it run.

I worked at a dealer that also sold Suzuki when those were new. I wish I'd have had the foresight to save all the ones left there with blown up engines (and there were LOTS of them). Because we probably sent a half dozen a year to the scrapper, many were in very good shape otherwise. The Suzuki engines are not very robust. Well, the whole truck isn't very robust, LOL. They are cool little machines, though. Especially like the hardtops.

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Wow, a lot of work went into that.

I loved my Zuk and definitely put it through its paces many times, but it just kept taking the abuse. Sure, I'd tear a transfer case arm off or shatter a ring & pinion (I always brought spares with me), but that happens when you abuse them. I used to run with a Zuk only crowd and there were a few Trackers but the IFS was the limiting factor on those. It was popular to swap the front center chunk from the tracker into the rear of a Samurai though, the 5.12 gearing was a popular and much used swap.

I'm betting it also has some hidden essentials like lockers or reduced gearing in the transfer or axles to work with those tires. See if you can find out what else it has since if you plan on a TDI then a gearing change is probably also in order.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can't get the owner to price it reasonably. $8K cash would be a fair price to me and he'[s stuck on $12k. If anyone is interested in the car in the $12k range,, PM me and I'll try to kook you up with the owner. Another down side to me is it's non AC. Otherwise it's pretty much a show car.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Can't get the owner to price it reasonably. $8K cash would be a fair price to me and he'[s stuck on $12k. If anyone is interested in the car in the $12k range,, PM me and I'll try to kook you up with the owner. Another down side to me is it's non AC. Otherwise it's pretty much a show car.
knowing what goes into a quality "get in and drive anywhere" fully functional conversion, i think 12k is probably reasonable ... that thing is ready to roll ... drop in a built AHU and your riding high ! ;)

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
And it looks like he did a good job on it because it's not all hacked up. I'll bet there are a ton of expensive parts that aren't immediately known.

I know a built axle will easily run $1K each, suspension another $500 easy, reduced gearing another $1K, that front bumper/winch combo is another $1K, and not to mention the tires & wheels.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Who knows. If anyone is interested, I'll get his contact info and PM to you. The car is awesome and looks even better in person inside and out.

Jakx1331

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Can you get picks of the suspension and under the back end. I some what know how to price Samurai. If the axles are Suzuki 6.9 or Toyota 8 can help the price.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No. I've pretty much lost interest in it. Will only attempt to hook someone truly interested up with the owner. PM me contact info if so.