AHU swap into 93 Eurovan Weekender

tdmsurfguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS Wagon
What tranny are you going with? If it's a EWB who are you using to ship it over, how much did they charge, and is it already rebuilt or do you need to have it rebuilt. Hope it's coming along.

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
All that info can be found within this thread, but to answer your questions:

What tranny are you going with?
-Euro sourced EWB

If it's a EWB who are you using to ship it over
-Username: "Frans" I highly recommend him as do several others on this forum.

how much did they charge
-under 2k which included conversion parts; see picture on post #43 of this thread

and is it already rebuilt or do you need to have it rebuilt
-fresh rebuild to 0 miles :D

Hope it's coming along
-Its coming along :)

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
For those of you interested, here are some links to TDI club member "motters" from the UK and his 2.5 diesel T4.

The first link is to his build and the second link is to his 6 speed conversion. This is the only one I've read about so far in a T4 although I'm sure there's more out there.

Vanzee Build - http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=70144

6-spd Conversion Kit - http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=200854

You might have to sign up but its free and that site has a TON of good info on our T4s. :D They are a lot more adventurous overseas where the T4 is much more common and a lot less $$ with a lot more options....

vintagemotion

TDI
AHU Vanagon
Drives shafts for the 02B - EWB tranny in 1999 EV??

Which domestic drives shafts would work when using a 02B EWB transmission in a 1999 EV with automatic?

1. Would any of the right or left 1999 Automatic drive shafts work on the 02B manual
2. Would the 1993 US EV drive shafts work on an 02B – EWB manual

RJ

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
You can go to vagcat.com register and search ETKA for parts. I would post links but you have to register to see the diagrams. From doing a quick search, it says:

701407271CX for a 93 manual trans with ABS; it does not specify left or right but i am assuming drivers side because the passenger side is interchangeable between manual and auto

The following are what it gave me for 1999 Eurovan MV with auto trans
(1) 701407271Q
drive shaft / for models with anti-lock brake system -abs-
left /
(1) 701407451CX
left /
(1) 701407271P
right /
(1) 701407451AX
right /

Im not quite sure what those suffixes mean, maybe someone a little more parts number savvy than I could explain. My shafts are going into a 93 so Im getting the shafts from a 93. My only obstacle is that the donor did not have ABS and the transplantee has ABS. Im going to go with Autozone shafts unless someone chimes in that Im making a horrible mistake. Im pretty sure you can reuse your passenger side shaft and if you just find any year driver side manual shaft with ABS you should be fine. My inclination would be that the determining factor would be the steering knuckles/wheel bearings which according to that online ETKA the bearings are the same: 7D0501647A. Or possibly the ABS ring...any gurus out there wanna chime in?

Last edited:

caddywompus

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Eurovan 1.9 TDI AHU 5-spd syncro
The right side drive axle is the same for auto/manual trans on the T4 92-2003, but the L side is different for auto/manual so you need to source the manual drive shaft for the L side when doing this conv, p/n 701 407 271P. The manual L side drive shaft is 10mm longer than the auto one

Justin

vintagemotion

TDI
AHU Vanagon
The right side drive axle is the same for auto/manual trans on the T4 92-2003, but the L side is different for auto/manual so you need to source the manual drive shaft for the L side when doing this conv, p/n 701 407 271P. The manual L side drive shaft is 10mm longer than the auto one

Justin
Thanks, the drive shaft info was the last missing peace and now my parts list is mostly complete for a basic conversion:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...aURFblR3aUxGZW5WQzZULU5xQVE&usp=sharing#gid=0

RJ

BigDan1

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 ALH,TDI
do you have your speed senor pickup from the other tranny

because your 93 02B has the cable like mine

the 020 or 02A speed sensor is way longer then ours.....

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
I plan on using the speed sensor from the 02A. Should I be expecting any problems from this?

Big Dan, I also decided to go with the VNT conversion. Currently looking at the Borg Warner S7.

I also decided to swap to an 11mm pump as well. Gonna have a lot of pieces of the puzzle to deal with at one time but it should be well worth it in the long run...

Last edited:

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
The day I have been patiently waiting for has arrived. I will let the pictures speak for themselves. Expect a lot more updates here shortly...

And after a little work....

ALH IP Pump Swap

Issues so far: I need to grind the transmission support bracket down so its not hitting the turbo and I need to figure out how to plug this. I don't want to tap it because the pan is already on. Is there another route?

Also, some of my choices for the swap have gone different directions since originally planned; psst1997 hooked it up and I couldn't pass up his deal on an 11MM ALH pump swap. I decided to do the VNT conversion and went with a Borg Warner S7 instead of the k03/04. Turns out all my pistons and rods were toast so Frank threw in some ASV's and Rosten rods.

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
After spending most of the day scouring the Louisville Metro area for some bolts, I was able to put a few hours of work in. The transmission bracket was hitting the turbo so that needed to be ground down. To fit the VNT-17 was quite simple; a couple of washers between the support bracket,an ALH oil return line and that's it.

I decided to thread the old oil dipstick hole 12X1.75 and just stick a bolt and some RTV in there. Upon reattaching the oil pan, of course, my luck I managed to thread the only buggered bolt into the front main seal. Well I think these things should come Helicoiled to begin with so we'll call that an improvement.

Bbob203 has been helping me through the swap and he finished up converting the 1Z harness to the ALH 10 pin injector pump plug.

I know the A/C works just fine in the Eurovan so I want to pull the old engine without vacuuming the A/C so I was trying to figure out how to swap over the Eurovan pump. It looks like everything lines up but the AHU pump has a threaded sleeve that the bolts thread into whereas the Eurovan pump bolts into the bracket itself. I hammered out the sleeves from the AHU pump and I will drill the Eurovan pump out, slide the sleeves in, and it should bolt right on to the AHU bracket without ever having to crack the system.

The next piece of the puzzle is to figure out the power steering pump situation. I want to do generally the same thing as the A/C pump but I'm finding out that it will not be so easy. The pulleys are different and getting the old ones off are proving to be some trouble. The power steering pump from the donor van looks to be good, well at least its a lot less oily than the AHU pump. I am hoping that they both have the same mounting pattern and the idea will be to fit the donor van pump onto the engine, swap pulleys then all that will have to be done during the transplant will be to remove the oil supply and return lines. You can't see in the picture but the Eurovan pump(right one) has 2 banjo fittings and I would prefer to run the stock supply and return lines and not have to cut them up. I have everything soaking in PB blaster and hopefully tomorrow I can figure it out.

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
So far the only modifications to the engine block to make an AHU fit into a Eurovan are as follows: Red circles are M10X1.5 and green circles are M12X1.75. The blue circle is where you need to drill the new dipstick hole. It should be 14mm wide for 9mm deep, then 10mm through the block.

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
Didn't accomplish a whole lot today. I fitted the gasser power steering pump onto the AHU. I ground down the bracket a little just to make sure there's plenty of clearance for the banjo fittings. It turns out the flanges that the pulleys bolt to are different lengths and I need to figure something out to get them to line up. I think I will use another water pump pulley on the power steering pump and then fit washers between the water pump and its pulley and the harmonic balancer and its pulley.

I also found out that I'm missing a mount for the swap. Apparently there is a different transmission mount as well. The proper one for the swap is a pendulum style mount. P/N: 7D0399207B
CHP:

EWB:

ETKA:

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Why not use the AHU PS pump and bracket? That way you could use all the factory AHU pulleys and belt(s).

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
I am using the AHU bracket but I'm not using the pump because it only has one banjo fitting where as the Eurovan uses 2 banjo fittings. The solution I'm going to try is to use a second water pump pulley on the power steering pump then I will only need to shim the actual water pump pulley and the harmonic balancer pulleys slightly.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Sorry, I didn't phrase my question quite properly. :eek: There is a high pressure and low pressure side. Why not use the AHU pump and simply use a proper SS clamp on the low side? It seems less complicated then trying to shim/line up the other V belt pulleys? Regardless of which pump you use you're going to either have to have custom lines made up or alter your existing ones.

rcowan

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Wagon TDI, 1999 Eurovan Weekender TDI
What Mogly is suggesting is what I did. I was going from a VR6 though rather than 5cyl....

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
These are the hoses I want to reuse

This is the AHU pump

Gasser pump on AHU bracket

My solution:

Alignment:

I believe, problem solved :)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I would still use the AHU pump and convert the hose that is on the right to a regular hose/clamp to go on the AHU nipple..

those washers are asking for failure/working loose in short order.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
I would still use the AHU pump and convert the hose that is on the right to a regular hose/clamp to go on the AHU nipple..

those washers are asking for failure/working loose in short order.

I agree. If you're alignment isn't spot on you'll have your V belts constantly "walking" up and will wear them out prematurely or worse they'll shred in a most inconvenient time.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Good call. Pretty sure the pulley is hub - centric, so if the pulley isn't flush with the hub getting it aligned would be hell. And then it would go out of alignment almost immediately.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
another solution may be to use a puller on the pump hub and pull it out on the shaft until you have the correct alignment ... that is if the van pump has a long enough shaft... yet another approach may be to disassemble both pumps and use the AHU internals in the van pump body

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
Jimbote, that's the kind of information I was looking for. Is the flange just press fit? The shaft on the eurovan pump is cut for an allen key where as the ahu pump is not. At this point its more trouble than its worth and as others have mentioned its just too easy to throw a new low pressure hose on but I am still curious on how to completely tear this pump down and swap parts.

Edit: the internals are swapable but the hose connections are on the same half of the pump that the flange is on so it wouldn't make a difference. See second pic in post #82.

Last edited:

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N

Yep, today is "that" day. The donor was an AHU and I have the full AHU harness but to make things easy I sourced a 1Z harness. As far as I can tell the engine control part of the harnesses are essentially the same. I have searched the forums but still having a little difficulty finding some answers:
-Is the 1Z harness the essentials of everything I need? Will I need anything else from the AHU harness?
-I know the glowplug circuits are different, I'm trying to figure out what I need to do. The bentley says #12 position should be the glowplug relay but my fuseblock has nothing there. It looks like on the AHU harness, the relay is remote and mounted outside of the fuse block. To make the glowplug circuit work with the 1Z harness work do I just plug the glowplug relay into the #12 relay position and that's it?
-Every schematic I'm reading says the glowplug relay should be a 102, 103 or 104. The remote relay on the AHU setup is 180. Do I need to find a 102/3/4? Can anyone elaborate whats going on there?
-I have a couple snipped wires to deal with (not by my hand). Is soldering and shrink wrap or using butt connectors the preferred method around here?

This is the best write up I could find on stripping down a harness. Coincidentally it's written for a T4 swap (lucky me) but I think it would apply to any swap. The only thing is its written for using European donor cars which apparently are a little different from what we have here in the states.
Part 1: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61313
Part 2: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63539

Ok, just found a couple really good links:
HOW TO - Overcome common 1.9 TDI Conversion Issues: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=95358
Wiring Checklist: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=101375
I'm sure I'll have some more questions shortly...

Last edited: