Samurai TDI swap

Bczuk

Veteran Member
TDI
LWB Samurai - 2001 Jetta
Very nice work, bczuk - looks great!

What kind of boost are you holding at speed?
On the highway at 65 I was around 10 psi and EGTs at 900-1000. The tune is set for 30 psi max but I haven't pushed it past 25 psi. Driving easy I was shifting at 3000 rpm or less and boost gets to maybe 12 -13 psi. Giving it some decent fuel going up a long grade EGTs climbed to 1300 but it leveled off when I let off a touch and I could keep pulling the hill fine. I haven't done any adjusting on the turbo since getting it from Darkside and am running the first tune I received from Malone so there might be some adjustments to make but I am pretty happy so far. I also still have my old 2.25" exhaust with a small turbo muffler from just under the drivers feet back so might end up going 2.5" all the way out if it'll help with the heat. Exhaust is really quiet now which is nice.

I will have to take some in cab video and post it up when I have someone with me to record.

Holy crap man! Looks super clean. Good work. I'm jealous you can go 65.
Thanks, I got up to 75 in the passing lane on the way home last night. It'll keep going if needed :D

My overall impression is I am really happy with how it pushes the brick around. The swap took way longer than expected but in the end I am looking forward to enjoying it

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Looks dang good! I need to finish mine already, I keep running into so many unexpected problems.

rooney77

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Thanks, I got up to 75 in the passing lane on the way home last night. It'll keep going if needed :D

My overall impression is I am really happy with how it pushes the brick around. The swap took way longer than expected but in the end I am looking forward to enjoying it

What size tires are you running? Mine seems to fall flat on it's face in 4th gear with 36's and 4.11 axle ratio. But since I'm running full hydro 50 is the fastest I've had the nerve to get it up to. 94" WB, air shocks and full hydro make for an exciting drive down the street. :D

Your interior is spot on. Looks really good.

Bczuk

Veteran Member
TDI
LWB Samurai - 2001 Jetta
37s but I have a bunch of engine mods so hard to compare.

I agree full hydro, air shocks etc could be a little white knuckle over 50 :D
I took a quick video this morning. This is a flat section of highway, I was just maintaining speed for the first but then pushed it up to 100km towards the end.

Hard to see but 4psi exhaust temp 1000 at first then egt climb to 1200.

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Malone stage 5? I've got that tune in a spare ecu but haven't tried it yet. I have similar mods in my ALH and am running an RC4+ in it right now. Awesome machine! You say there's a Samurai lurking under there somewhere?

Bczuk

Veteran Member
TDI
LWB Samurai - 2001 Jetta
Yes it's a Malone tune. I took the truck out on Saturday and did some more highway driving and around 80 km on a fire road to go camping for the night. No issues other than a dead battery from listening to the radio for to long at camp. My Optima is 8 years old and has spent a lot of time sitting idle so it might be time to replace it. Having such a torquey motor was great going up and down the hills on the dirt road. 3rd gear I could lug it down a bit if needed and easily pick up speed again. There is one really windy hill climb once back on pavement that I used to have to rev the motor right up to climb and now I was able to go in the left lane using 3rd and 4th passing people if needed. Definitely put a smile on my face being able to do that

There's a bit of stock Samurai left in it but not much that hasn't been altered

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Need some advice. Check out my thread and post your feel for this vw gasser Samurai I found while renting lift time doing a clutch on my golf. The pictures don't do it justice. It's really sharp. I'm not a rock climber but this guy is so cute! I wonder if an ALH would be an easy drop in or should I find a BHW? thx.http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=438585

Last edited:

Bczuk

Veteran Member
TDI
LWB Samurai - 2001 Jetta
So I have been driving this thing with mixed highway/city use and burned up my first full tank of fuel. Using google maps I went right around 550 km and it took 50 liters to fill. So an average of 11L per 100km or 26 mpg which I think is pretty great considering I am on 37" tires.

To work with the VW cluster I bought a universal sending unit from SummitRacing that was close to the ohm rating that VW uses. Other than the gauge reading backwards it is pretty accurate. The Dakota Digital SGI-5 should be here any day so I will be able to get the speedo dialed in and start taking more accurate logs.

FuelAddict

TDI
96 VW passat TDI (Donor Car)
Bczuk- Hats off to you. I love to see this kind of fabricating and attention to detail. What a killer build man!!

Bczuk

Veteran Member
TDI
LWB Samurai - 2001 Jetta
Thanks. Just turned 4000km on the swap yesterday. Been driving it to work, going camping and a couple weeks ago did a 7 hr round trip for a golf weekend with a buddy. Averaging 25mpg which I am really happy with.

On my road trip there was a mountain pass with a few long hill climbs that caused me to slow down due to egts getting up there. Lots of power left so that always sucks. I have a 2.5" down pipe but it goes to 2.25" down by the drivers feet and I am still running a turbo muffler. Thinking I might swap in 2.5" the whole way and give it a try without a muffler. I could probably fit 3" but not sure it would be worth the effort or not

Last edited:

ksmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
In for updates on this. I've got a few samurai's and a few alh's sitting around... I'm itching to swap one, but it seems like everyone drops ahu's in them, which are getting harder and harder to find in decent shape.

Do you think that your exhaust being too restrictive is the main reason for egt's being a bit on the high side?

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Maybe I missed it, but is there any pictures of how you did the throttle setup?

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Thanks. Just turned 4000km on the swap yesterday. Been driving it to work, going camping and a couple weeks ago did a 7 hr round trip for a golf weekend with a buddy. Averaging 25mpg which I am really happy with.

On my road trip there was a mountain pass with a few long hill climbs that caused me to slow down due to egts getting up there. Lots of power left so that always sucks. I have a 2.5" down pipe but it goes to 2.25" down by the drivers feet and I am still running a turbo muffler. Thinking I might swap in 2.5" the whole way and give it a try without a muffler. I could probably fit 3" but not sure it would be worth the effort or not

a bit redneck on my part but I'm running a 2.5" hood stack on my 4runner...supposedly illegal in my state, but never heard of anyone getting a ticket for one lol

Bczuk

Veteran Member
TDI
LWB Samurai - 2001 Jetta
Kinda, I'm needing ideas for how to mount my whole pedal assembly. Yours looks pretty simple, just bolted onto firewall?
Yes it's just mounted into the fire wall using 1/4" rivnuts. My firewall had been modified so it's a bit thicker metal there but would be quick and easy for you to make a small piece up to reinforce it

Bczuk

Veteran Member
TDI
LWB Samurai - 2001 Jetta
a bit redneck on my part but I'm running a 2.5" hood stack on my 4runner...supposedly illegal in my state, but never heard of anyone getting a ticket for one lol
I did end up doing the 2.5" exhaust the whole way but it didn't help much but long story short I ended up with a different 11mm pump and now the truck runs better than ever and the egt drop a couple hundred degrees.

Last month I did a 1000 mile mixed off/off road trip and got 30 mpg which I was really happy with.

Chuck78

TDI
Suzuki Samurai LWB / 1.9mTDI project, '02 1.9TDI Jetta Wagon Stage 1 tuned, '82 Rabbit Pickup 1.6TD

Old thread, I know, but I just wanted to say BCZuk, that this build is AWESOME and a huge inspiration and point of reference for me doing a future ALH/R151-AX15/Dana18 swap into my Samurai with Toyota passenger side offset front and rear axles...

The front oil pump location and inability to clearance the front of the oil pan much at all does present some difficulties installing an ALH into a Samurai without a doubt. I figured if I were to shove the axle forward 1.25" further than it already is (it's all the way forward with the Toyota SPOA kit's adjustments as-is, have to driill one more set of holes in the perches and plates), and slam the vacuum pump back within 3/16" of the firewall or even clearance the firewall slightly for the vacuum pump, and modify the coolant flange similar to yours, I would vertically be clear between the front of the oil pan and the high steer kit tie-rod at full steering lock (rearmost position), and I may need to slot and elongate the Samurai manual steering box mounting holes slightly.

The panhard bar, I figure I'll have to chop it up and make a Z-bar offset in it like the inferior geometry high steer kits sort of, but the geometry will remain the same, it will just have a large offset to clear the oil pan...

I was wondering about this custom top you have... who made it, and are any templates available for this? I was looking at stretching a Rallytops SWB Samurai hardtop just by chopping the sides off in the middle of the window and forward, and re-'glassing them on at the front location where they need to be, and then just using a self-made mold of the middle straight sections of the side window area before the window curves up/down to vertical, and laying down fresh fiberglass in that area. Then purchasing a new RallyTops 2pc hardtop front cab roof.

A soft top would be nice.
Or find a rusted out Canadian LWB Samurai with the factory hardtop still on it. Importing a Maruti Gypsy top from India would cost a fortune, but there are raised roof rear soft tops available from India on ebay.

Oh yeah, I plan to stretch my frame to LWB specs and use an Aqualu aluminum LWB reproduction body...

GREAT WORK, I hope this thing is still running around in top form!