VW Reliability..........

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
I've read many posts herein about VW reliability being less than great. The DSG is crap and VW won't fix this or that and so on............

Well let me bring you up to date and back to reality.

I have two rides:

1) A 2010 VW Jetta TDI and
2) A 2006 Lexus IS 250

I purchased the Lexus new in August, 2006 and as of today I have only 28,670 miles on the clock.

So far here is what I've had done to the car:

New front brake pads: Eliminate dust buildup
New rear brake pads: Eliminate squealing
New Power steering ECU: Fix electric steering
New Cam tensioner: Eliminate chain noise
New Fuse box circuit breaker: Fix battery.
New rearviiw mirror: Fix automatic dinning problem.
.............almost forgot this one. Replaced all fuel lines to prevent rusting when using Ethanol.

All of the above were corrected under warranty........

What is Lexus? Number 1 or 2 in JD Powers Reliability rating: Hardly.

People die and cars breakdown..........it's how the world works......

Last edited:

dieselstein

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi (new) 2006 Jetta TDi (traded in on 2010) 1994 Golf TDi (dead) 2003 Jetta TDi (sold)
VWG.... Void Warranties Group.

JD Power is famous for the INITIAL surveys. Calling someone 30 days after buying means nothing. You're still excited about the car and nothing else. No car is perfect but all cars are quite good today. Even Consumers Report is full of crap. Just buy what you like. Life is too short to go by the book all the time and all these survey companies need to justify their existence by saying something, anything, no matter how trivial.

Last edited:

SonyAD

banned Borat
TDI
Peugeot 206 2.0 HDi
Those are minor issues, with the Lexus. Brake squeal is because of how you brake. Brake dust as well.

I don't see how they warrant comparison with the DMF and other stuff.

dariod

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
"New front brake pads: Eliminate dust buildup
New rear brake pads: Eliminate squealing"

Are you kidding me??? They warrantied against dust buildup??? Try VW for that.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Oh man, you just wait. That IS is just getting started. Wait until they have to do this:

That GR series engine is a piece of crap. You want a GOOD IS? Find a nice clean IS300 with the bulletproof INLINE 6 cylinder 2JZ engine and smile all the way to 500k miles. :)

Valve springs, timing case leaks, oil pipe recalls, chain tensioners, steering gears, etc. are just the beginning. Man, as an ex-Lexus tech, and a Toyota fan, I am ASHAMED of the newer cars and engines. :mad:

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
mash-up GettaTDI150, 1986 Jetta Delux D, 2005 Passat TDI sedan
Oilhammer:

oilhammer said:
as an ex-Lexus tech, and a Toyota fan, I am ASHAMED of the newer cars and engines. :mad:
Oilhammer: what's your experience w Nissan? We've had 3 in the family. Never more than routine maintenence, sold the Sentra @236,000 miles, the 240sx is nearing 270,000 miles(ok, it did need a timing chain/tensioner @257,000.) Wify has a 2003 Altima w the V6, paltry 53,000 miles.

dariod

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
oilhammer said:
Oh man, you just wait. That IS is just getting started. Wait until they have to do this:

That GR series engine is a piece of crap. You want a GOOD IS? Find a nice clean IS300 with the bulletproof INLINE 6 cylinder 2JZ engine and smile all the way to 500k miles. :)

Valve springs, timing case leaks, oil pipe recalls, chain tensioners, steering gears, etc. are just the beginning. Man, as an ex-Lexus tech, and a Toyota fan, I am ASHAMED of the newer cars and engines. :mad:
I have to agree with oilhammer I owned 1993 Lexus GS300 and that car made me loyal to Lexus. That 2JZGE (non turbo supra engine) is one of the best engines ever made and that was The best quality built car I ever owned.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think Nissan's day in the sun has long since come and gone, personally. Much like Toyota. But Renault taking them over may ultimately shake things up a bit, who knows. The older (1980s) Nissans were VERY good cars. But in the 1990s they started to cheapen things which nearly killed them off until Renault took them over. Hard to believe they were once THE Japanese car company to be reckoned with, bigger than Toyota, bigger than Honda, bigger than Mitsubishi.

The Volkswagen dealer I worked at also sold Nissans, and while I was never a Nissan tech, you do pick up some things about them from the guys across the shop. The 1993 Altima was a hunk of junk compared to the 1992 Stanza it replaced. It was pretty amazing how different those two cars were.

I do like the newer QR series engines, though (replaced the KA.... which is the 2.4L 4 cyl the Altima/Frontier used for years). The QR25DE has great power...too bad the current Altima has put on so much weight. :rolleyes:

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
dariod said:
"New front brake pads: Eliminate dust buildup
New rear brake pads: Eliminate squealing"

Are you kidding me??? They warrantied against dust buildup??? Try VW for that.
True: There is a TSB that will replace the front pads if done within the first 10,000 miles. Now that I have the harder pads I can see the otherside of the issue. I can guarantee that I'll have to replace the rotors as they are wearing.....but hey, no dust and the rims stay clean.