PP520 vs. Sprint 520 Nozzles

99_golf_alh

TDI
99.5 Golf
What are the differences between the two nozzles if there are any? Are Rocketchip tunes compatable with both? Which are the better nozzles?

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Both will work great w/ RC tunes.

Sprint may give a little better mpg

PP520's may give a little more power

Can't go wrong with either depends on what you want power Vs mpg

99_golf_alh said:
What are the differences between the two nozzles if there are any? Are Rocketchip tunes compatable with both? Which are the better nozzles?

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
i think they give similar power figures but the pp520s give 20ftlbs more tourque , the pp520s are closer to the 0.216 bosch injectors where as the sprints are stock bosch 0.205s found in the euro 110 that i have , but as said both work well with stock turbos and can be tuned accordingly , the only advantage of the pp520s other than the extra tourque is they can support larger turbos down the line especially with an 11mm pump just depends on what mods you plan ,
but be warned it gets addictive:D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
In the past Jeff has preferred tuning with Sprint 520s with the stock turbo. However, recently he has seen less of a difference in fuel flow between these two nozzles. Sprints will give you plenty of fuel. With PP520s it can be difficult to eliminate smoke with a stock turbo and a Rocketchip tune. My vote would be for sprints.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I have Sprints, love them. I bought them because they were cheaper, and didn't want the smoke. I still get some smoke at full throttle but its only a light haze.

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
strange i have the pp520s and i also get a perfect light haze but only on w.o.t with stock vnt turbo and tune
unless your is a w/g turbo which might explain it :confused:

Last edited:

novaguy78

TDI
2000 Jetta
I would have a set of sprint 520 if you were thinking of going that way. They are used with about 30k on them. Still in good shape though. I like them but I love black smoke so they have to go.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Just make sure the surfaces in the block are clean. Remember to leave the hard lines slightly loose on the injector bodies, and wrap rags or paper towels around them while you start it the first time.

Be prepared for a much louder engine noise.

lolders

TDI
Golf
I can't seem to find a forum that shows me how to install new nozzles in my own home? Can anyone send me a link?

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
  1. I happened to talk to Jeff about this recently; he strongly recommended the Sprints over the PPs (with the stock turbo) due to smoke.
  2. Jeff also strongly recommended against any turbo bigger than a 1749vb for street/daily driver use, but I see plenty of people with way more mods than that (e.g. Richard55) who don't appear to be having problems...?
  3. What's the deal with balancing injectors?

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
mrchaotica said:
  1. I happened to talk to Jeff about this recently; he strongly recommended the Sprints over the PPs (with the stock turbo) due to smoke.
  2. Jeff also strongly recommended against any turbo bigger than a 1749vb for street/daily driver use, but I see plenty of people with way more mods than that (e.g. Richard55) who don't appear to be having problems...?
  3. What's the deal with balancing injectors?
I believe block 13 in the engine section of vagcom shows the balance of the injectors. If the injectors aren't balanced you can have poor burning fuel, which can be bad for the cylinders, but thats about all I know on that.

As for the number 2 rule from Jeff. The way he explained it to me, the bigger the toys the bigger the problems can happen. No one wants a daily driver to have any problems. The 1749vb is a good replacement to the stock turbo without giving up alot of "saftey" for the eninge.

jseaton

TDI
2002 Jetta
I was also wondering how big a difference it would make if you just swapped the nozzles and reinstalled vs. getting them balanced. is it a significant difference? that big of a deal or no?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I have pp520's and RC4 and on hard acceleration I have a grey haze for a bit then almost nothing. I get 44-48mpg with my setup.