"The White Unicorn"

beckster

TDI
MK4 Jetta
May 2019 my husband and I purchased our "white unicorn" from a gentleman in northern NY. I know he browses the forum, but I do not know his username nor would I mention it, unless he'd like to chime in.

We are the fourth owners of this car, by way of Missouri, North Carolina, and New York.

It's been posted on this forum before by previous owners. We have plans to make it our own, but as it sits now, I'll give you the full specs. I may edit in the future if I can, but will note when I do.

2003 Jetta GLS TDI with an ALH engine
Current mileage is 296k mi.

Drivetrain/Brakes/Suspension:
6 speed Eurospec DRW transmission
Peloquin torque biasing differential
DieselGeek short shifter w/ B&M knob
VR6 front spindles and hubs
Audi TT 312mm front brakes
R32 256mm rear brakes
Koni FSD struts and Eibach pro-kit springs
Raxels

Engine/Fuel:
Block heater
Front mount intercooler
Mishimoto catch can
Old man intake
DieselGeek race pipe
Kerma full stainless exhaust system
Boost valve
VNT-17 turbo
PowerPlus 520 injector nozzles
11mm fuel pump
In-tank PD lift pump

Body/Interior:
Campanella white with cream tan interior
Front and rear OEM GLI lips
Caractere side skirts
Black honeycomb grille inserts
Eurospec Recaro front seats (heated)
Gauges for boost pressure, EGT, oil temp and pressure
HID headlights with LED strip
Badged as a Bora

Attached are photos of when it was sold by the second owner in NC.

Last edited:

beckster

TDI
MK4 Jetta
First thing we did was get some new wheels. The ones installed were Enkei Falcons, 17x7, running a new set of Dunlops. We found a set of BBS RCs 18s in prettyyy rough shape for $260. I had them repaired of curb rash and powder coated by a local vender I had a connection with in "bronze chrome."

Our Golf will need tires soon, so we took the Dunlops off for that and installed a set of Kumho ECSTA LX Platinum ($95 each) on the BBS. I'm a pretty relaxed driver, just looking for sometime cheap and hopefully long lasting, so they fit the bill. Pics are of the car with the Enkeis on, wheels after powder coating and then installed. We put on a set of wheels spacers from ECS for a better stance.

Not gonna lie, I stared at it a while...

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
That is one nice looking car. I like the bronze, are there no center caps to go with them? Maybe Campanella white?

beckster

TDI
MK4 Jetta
That is one nice looking car. I like the bronze, are there no center caps to go with them? Maybe Campanella white?
Thank you! :)

Gah, trying to find center caps has been impossible! People want insane prices for genuine BBS, but I can't seem to find anything that will fit. We bought 70mm BBS caps, but they don't seem to fit right. I have to do more research.

We actually ordered a set of Honda SI center caps (which fit) with the intention of putting stickers over them, but they're embossed/lowered lettering so not sure if that will work haha.

beckster

TDI
MK4 Jetta
The week we bought the car, I went to jump in it one morning and it wouldn't start. I'm always running late, so I took my other car and left it for my husband to deal with lol. He got it going, then we sent it to my VW guy, Flint European Automotive in Nassau NY for a timing belt. Conveniently, he couldn't get it started either and diagnosed the starter. We ordered one from Korwerks and he installed it for us and did the timing belt.

beckster

TDI
MK4 Jetta
Now for the "fun" stuff...

This past weekend it seemed a little smokier than usual out the exhaust. It had been blowing some nice coal in boost previously, but this was white and more than usual. Started out just with acceleration, so I put Power Service in it thinking it was some bad fuel. Then it started smoking even at idle. Watching the boost gauge, it would go into boost fine up to about 22PSI, but then drop like a rock. Great... Checked the oil and it was low. Pulled the lower intercooler line (missed the pan too lol) and had a nice puddle of oil form. Also noticed oil blew out the tail pipe. I attached some pics of the carnage.

So I'm guessing it's a pretty open and closed case I need a turbo... Thankfully it didn't run away on me.

Full thread here: Welp, I think my VNT-17 bit the dust.

joyjoy22

TDI
2015 Volkswagen Beetle
The like your preference for the new car wheels. It is kind of unusual in terms of color and it looks nice on a white car.