Passat TDI SEL Weird Fuel Gauge Behavior

A.RTDI

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Hello, I own 2014 Passat TDI SEL. Recently the fuel gauge has been acting weird. For example, when I started the car I got the low fuel light and then when I got on the highway the range went up as well as the fuel level. This happens when the car idles for a little and it begins to drop a little. After you start driving it rises to where it initially was. It is not very noticeable and the gauge is pretty accurate side from that little bug. What do you guys think?:confused:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Sending unit in the tank.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
yup. Is it behaving correctly after a drive (to a dealer)? Does it have to sit overnight for the problem to appear?

A.RTDI

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
yup. Is it behaving correctly after a drive (to a dealer)? Does it have to sit overnight for the problem to appear?
Whenever the car is sitting when cold the fuel gauge goes down a bit and then goes up when driving. I had the battery changed at the dealership and they did not put the battery cover on right, so I had to disconnect the battery and readjust the cover. I literally drove like 4 miles from the gas station to my house before I disconnected the battery. When I reconnected the battery and started the car the fuel gauge was down to 3/4. Then as I began driving it up later on in the day. So does that mean the fuel sender is messing around? I had the low fuel warning come up and then as I began driving on the highway the fuel gauge went out of the red zone which was really weird.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Sounds like classic sending unit issue. I have no idea how to access it, but if you can figure it out you might look to see if there is loose connection or chafing wire and fix that to save another R/T to the dealer.