Rain Sensor and Auto Close when rain detect

atoughram

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
My rain sensor seems to work fine, in fact it's quite sensitive, and I turned on the auto rollup, sunroof close feature too but it doesnt work.

Any other tips besides the whats in the sticky?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I got the rain sensor turned on after I finally acquired VCDS, and it works....after I was assured by the dealer where I purchased it that it "could only be turned on in cars sold in South Korea." I haven't done anything with the auto-close feature as I have no interest in activating it.
If it's in the MFD, why not try it? VCDS acted funky when I turned it on, would uncheck the boxes when I finished....but the sensor got turned on anyway.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
We have a 2013 Passat SEL, and I have been running auto close and rain sense for years, and other than an occasional wiper sweep on a clear day, it has all worked flawlessly since turned on . . .

- Tim

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
I just turned on the rain sensor options in my '13 Passat SEL, and the wipers work but the auto-close doesn't. I expect there's something else that needs to be set properly, can someone who has it working post their BCM config codes? comparing it to mine may show what's different/missing. (I'll post mine as soon as I pull it off the computer I use for VCDS)

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
The sticky has the procedure links in the first post . . . and I recall needing to make changes in 2 or 3 places to get it all . . . Yup, the sticky has two procedures - one for rain sensing and another for auto close . . .

- Tim

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The sticky has the procedure links in the first post . . . and I recall needing to make changes in 2 or 3 places to get it all . . . Yup, the sticky has two procedures - one for rain sensing and another for auto close . . .

- Tim
...and, if I recall correctly, one of those 2 procedures (I do not remember which one) does not actually turn on the function - it just enables the ability to turn it on and off in the MFD. It is off by default, so after enabling it with VCDS, you have to turn off the ignition and turn it back on and then enter the MFD menus and find the new option and turn it on. Then it should work. It can be a little confusing, but it is worth playing with.

Have Fun!

Don

atoughram

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
...and, if I recall correctly, one of those 2 procedures (I do not remember which one) does not actually turn on the function - it just enables the ability to turn it on and off in the MFD. It is off by default, so after enabling it with VCDS, you have to turn off the ignition and turn it back on and then enter the MFD menus and find the new option and turn it on. Then it should work. It can be a little confusing, but it is worth playing with.

Have Fun!

Don
I searched every menu on the MFD and couldnt find anything.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
does it detect cottonwood seed and close the windows? cause that was the latest thing I found filling my car after leaving the sunroof open on a hot day.. sigh, wish I had a leather interior.

/sarcasm

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
I searched every menu on the MFD and couldnt find anything.
Then recheck what you did in the long coding . . . note that one bit sets the feature, and the other makes it persistent. Forget either and you get nothing. I did exactly what is in the sticky on my 2013 SEL and it works (as have others) so the procedure is proven.

Note also that IIRC, auto close only works car off/key out . . . set mine, shut down, and poured water on the sensor and it closed right up . . .

- Tim

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Same here, but it's been so long, I don't recall for sure . . . I just know that we own the same model/trim/year, and the procedure in the stickies worked for me, exactly as written . . .

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Also following this as my auto close doesn't show in the MFD after checking it when I was enabling auto wipers either.

jerWim11

TDI
2010 q5
Hey gents I'm lurking having ended up here researching 2010 q5 and how I can make the rain sensor close all windows when raining. Brilliant idea. I heard you guys talking about it like I sId and then asked on a q5 forum of its existence and the 2 responses I got were dosnt exist and its impossible.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk