Regretting TDI after driving TSI

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Most VWs that have manuals (GTI and R aside) are base versions. The current Jetta in base trim is pretty depressing. Golf is better. You can get a Jetta GLI with a manual, but there's that pesky EA888 engine...
2019 MY only Alltracks could be had in 6spd in any trim, S, SE and SEL for the US. The production rate was what you'd expect very rare find. It was kinda the swan song of the mk7 wagons.

Fingers crossed for mk8 wagons in the US in 2023 :D

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Really??? I thought they are cancelling the sport wagen production forever....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yeah but my guess is they gotta spend more time stripping enough content out of the car to hit a price point.

I think the biggest challenge is the fact that all golfs will be made in Europe, no more Mexico builds, that in itself is going to add quite a bit of coin to the platform especially when VW can sell a euro spec golf for 10-20K more than small small numbers they moved in "cheap gas" America.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Really??? I thought they are cancelling the sport wagen production forever....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most likely not in Euroland where people still value proper sized cars.

In the US it maybe canceled forever but I'm hopeful one will return.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Too many Americans don't fit in proper sized cars anymore- obese, bad knees, and hips. Since driving seems to be a sporting adventure now, SUVs and pickups fit the pattern of aggression better.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Too many Americans don't fit in proper sized cars anymore- obese, bad knees, and hips.
I've had more than a couple passengers in my MKIV recently who've had a very hard time getting in and out. And finding the seat belt buckle. Sad.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Don't hold your breath. They've had prototypes of that bus around since the early 2000s.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Don't hold your breath. They've had prototypes of that bus around since the early 2000s.
Yeah, I've been watching them since they were just a headline. They finally have a few driving around down here so it's finally at some stage beyond prototype. It's slated for production in 2022 but it wouldn't really matter to me if it wasn't until 2032--I've got a 2015 SEL wagon that I'm perfectly happy driving. I was just saying that's my next vehicle.

I hope it gets dialed back from what's showing on the website. I don't want an iPad console. I'd much prefer analog dials and switches. Even though they wear over time I think tactile feedback is important in a vehicle. Realistically, though, it'll be voice controlled and touch won't factor into it much--but I'd prefer tactile. It's taken me years to trust the backup camera and I'll never trust a lane indicator.

I had an eGolf for three years. This dieselgate perfect storm was an interesting point in my life. I can't really think of another situation like it short of the BMWs that I owned as "old" used cars that exploded in popularity and price before I sold them all. I had been driving my '98 forever and finally treated myself to a 2012 wagon. Then dieselgate hit, the car was hit a couple times in between the time they announced the settlement process and our turn-in appointment, so we got a couple nice settlements along with VW's payout. VW gave that loyalty discount to us and we leased an eGolf for three years with nothing but my signature on a page and $199 dollars per month.

The fuel savings alone justified that lease and we had the added benefit of solar panels. It didn't have the range to get us out of the desert on a single charge, had a slow charger, and the residual was high so we just gave that back but it was an awesome car. It was definitely a MK7 Golf with an electric drivetrain--just an absolute blast and pleasure to drive.

By then the buy-backs were becoming available and I found my '15 wagon for $12K I think and my wife's '13 Treg Exec for $16K so those two will hold the family for a good long while. So I feel pretty solid and everyone's happy and I'm not in any rush to get out of my TDIs. :)

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
When I worked for Vw, I had a customer that had a 15 Golf Sportwagen with the 1.8T that had just under 500k miles when it needed a new engine.

Probably the exception to the rule as he was a cross country medical courier. But certainly not outside the realm of possibilities.
Then you should know better than the avg individual. Any engine with proper maintenance and proper treatment will last a long time. I've just done a timing belt on a bpy with 220k on it... I've owned 2.5s with over 300... have a awp in the driveway with 199.5 on it..

A diesel being so much better or what not can be simply in the eye of the owner. Sorry but I own and have owned a lot of vehicles... but anything properly taken care of and known issues nipped in the behind when published has lasted long enough to be worth it in my eyes ;)

On topic tho. :
Get a dsg tune for your tdi if you find it silly shifting and you'll see it's worth the money. For anything mpg related; a lot of people dont per se know how to properly drive a diesel from what I have seen; once i showed a friend of mine some tricks he started averaging a lot higher numbers vs his normal driving. Aka coast to a red light; dont ride peoples tails causing you to abruptly accel or decelerate; most people with commercial licences will chime in on this perhaps. No 1 issue on the roads here in TN at least is the nonsense changes in movement speeds.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk