Extended Emissions Warranty Clarification

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
2012 Passat, automatic. Had the emissions modification done in June, and after a week of growing pains, car was back to normal.....ish.

The paperwork on the extended emission warranty states:

The On Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, any malfunctions detected by the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system other than those related to the transmission.
That said......I'm two for two the past two days for what appears to be a persistent P026A CEL for Charge Air Cooler Efficiency Below Threshold. Initially looks to be a non-covered item, but........

By the quoted text, is that to be interpreted as any OBD malfunction that shows up is covered under the warranty, and thus related parts?

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Just got back from the dealer (separate issue, our 2015 Sportwagen SEL has a seat belt latch that's defective). Spoke with the resident Dieselgate warranty expert there, and she said that essentially if the OBD system trips a CEL, as long as the failure wasn't triggered by outside influence (physical damage, rodent chewing wires, etc), she's yet to see something be denied under warranty. She said she's already seen things like glow plug harnesses, random sensors, etc. all replaced under the warranty. Pretty open ended but a nice safety net for us as owners.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
half of the reason I bought my 15 golf.

162K is a lot of milesof 'free' warranty.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver

162K is a lot of miles of 'free' warrant
y.
11 years, and 162,000............

IMHO is worth more than a so called "CPO"

.... and a lot easier to have done than the BB

.... and remember, all this is good for the next owner(s)

... In my case it goes out to July 15, 2026

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI

162K is a lot of milesof 'free' warranty.
It's a MAJOR reason why we decided to just pick up a 15 Sportwagen SEL. Well, that, and the MKIV 05 GolfI got and fixed up for my wife was just too small.

Looks like I'm going to put this theory to the test on the warranty stuff. The code has been persistent even after I pulled and cleaned the IAT that was all gunked up. It's going in Monday morning to be looked at.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Coolant system of the Passats is considered junk and flawed, most likely need a flush if not new intercooler. My fingers are crossed on the 2015's

This may be similar to the clogged heater cores of the Mk5-MK6 CJAA engines.

How many miles on the Passat

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Cars at the dealer. Bad IAT in the charge cooler. Dealer said everything else checked out. Covered under the Emissions Warranty. Pretty good safety net on the car IMO with that warranty.

Car has 127K miles on it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
to make you feel better ask the dealer how much it'd be out of warranty.

I saw the non warranty price repair sheet for a passengers side air bag sensor replacement in the Alltrack, it was around $1500.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Just got the car back, 100% covered. Non warranty it would have been around $340 between diag, new sensor, and install.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
Hey guys,

I might be back... Looking at a 2012 VW Jetta TDI that had the fix. From what I have read, the warranty should pass on to subsequent buyers, but I just wanted confirmation from you experts. Looks like I would have the extended warranty, correct?

I did not want to start a new thread, and I called a local VW dealership for confirmation, but did not hear back yet.

I miss the Golf! Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
All vehicles get the extended emissions warranty no matter who the owner is. Out to its full extent. Just understand when the end is. There are two choices. One starts when the car was first delivered and the other starts when the first fix was done. Which ever is longer.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Got it. I saw that in the paperwork I examined. Thanks for the info and for not reaming me for the thread revival... :)

Nice Beetle! I think you had something else last I remember seeing you (I´ve been absent for a while!). We saw a gold one locally a while back and thought it looked bang on.

Cheers!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have had several Beetles and several Jettas and two Passats of varying years, over the last decade or so. I bought this stop sale Beetle because it was brand new and got the full 11 year 162k mile warranty. Hoping it will last and VW will live up to the warranty.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice! Jetta did not work out (the care given to the car was not close enough to our standard)... Oh well... I almost made my re entry into TDIland. Maybe one day I will stumble into a cool MK4 (or 7) Golf...

Best wishes!

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW - DG Buyback
Nice! Jetta did not work out (the care given to the car was not close enough to our standard)... Oh well... I almost made my re entry into TDIland. Maybe one day I will stumble into a cool MK4 (or 7) Golf...

Best wishes!

Consider looking into a MY 2014 Jetta. Pricing is likely similar and the 2014 model has upgraded rear suspension.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
What! No more torsion beam!? :D

Thanks; if I seek one out is will be a wagon!

Isaac-1

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I just bought a CPO 2015 Sportwagen TDI for my son, and was reading this warranty the other night, and it is clear as mud when the coverage expires, can anyone give me a clue? The car is a 2 owner car, that originally sold in June 2015, before being bought back by VW apparently in January of this year, as best I can tell by the carfax seen here (assuming the free dealer car fax is still loading, it was a few hours ago) https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DLR_3&vin=3VWCA7AU3FM501598

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
Terms of settlement says:

Extended warranty applies to those with signed settlement, and to the first new owner after that person. To anyone else, warranty does not apply.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Seems pretty clear to me:

"The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” continues to be the greater of:
• 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original
in- service date; OR
• 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage
of Phase 2
The vehicle's original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered
to either the original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed
in service as a "demonstrator" or "company" car, on the date such vehicle was first
placed in service."

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/w...kswagen-Generation-3-TDI-Vehicles-Phase-2.pdf