I have, in my possession, OEM LED taillights

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
LED DRL Mod, byte 18=24 now!

Here is another chapter in the Rear LED, Chinese HID/DRL lights. I utilized the 'coming home' harness that came with the lights (but didn't use) and with the use of a couple relays, made the LED DRL's come on whenever the light switch is in Auto, and whenever the Auto sensor turns on the head lamps, or I switch to just driving lights or headlamps, the LED DRL's turn off (from full brightness) and stay on at 1/2 power with the angel eye. This is triggered from the marker light circuit. I also changed Byte 18 again to be 24. This is not a code that I had previously tried, but it gives me the rear lights with eyebrow and ring dim as driving lights and lights up the bullets and the rest bright for braking. This is based on the wiring diagram in post #110 above. Plus I have the rear fog as well, controlled from the BCM. Only issue is that when I start the car, it does an obvious lamp check, flickering all the lamps a couple times, and it gives me a rear fog bulb out, but if I turn the rear fog on, this BOW clears. I've seen rear fog 'cold monitoring' in other threads for other VW, so I think it is in the BCM, but need to find it. My front amber turns are just that, amber turns or 4 way flashers and are not on at any other time. I only utilized the cables with the DRL connectors on them, and spliced this to my own wiring harness, which I ran into the passenger compartment through the firewall. Another benefit of this Byte 18=24 coding is I now have same side park lights. It was opposite corners previously. I also went through my BCM coding and turned off all items associated with DRL's. Don't need them any longer. the LED DRL's are also grounded to the chassis, I just didn't show that connection here in this new schematic. A PDF is also located here: http://ppl.ug/0cL6fIRpDAE/

EDIT 8/18/13: Changing byte 18 to anything other than A0, will mess up your rear stock tail lights, so any changes to Byte 18, which will also affect the behavior of your front HIDs and LED DRLs, really needs to be done in conjunction with LED rear tail lights as well, with the necessary rewiring to make it work as documented in these threads to get amber turn signals on all 4 corners. Amber turns seems to be rather ubiquitous with the many other Byte 18 codings I experimented with. Despite trying over 120 different Hex codes for Byte 18, nothing bad happened, some unexpected things happened (like ALL lights on at once and no control over them at all), but all in all, it was a very interesting process, albeit a time consuming search. I don't know if this will be the final configuration, but I think that I'm close to the end of the trail for getting this working as desired.

Ross-tech came out with a beta version, 12.10.7 and I found at least one new feature - byte 26, bit 5 gives the ability to turn off the dash DRL indicator. Since my LED DRL's are independent of the BCM now, I turned off all DRL functionality in the BCM, like 6 or 7 places. Here is my current BCM coding for your viewing pleasure:
6F200EFFFC2928D4080802833600812006F1240047A005B0648860009C70

EDIT 8/21/13:
The law of unintended consequences struck today when I found out very early this morning that when I flipped the high beams on, my HIDs turned off. Verified that I was not seeing things once I got to where I was going - No HID's with high beams on. So after I got home, I started looking at the coding, and ended up turning Byte 14, bit 3 on. This is for Bi-Xenon headlights (with shutter) installed. High beams and HIDs all on, back to normal!
Here is the latest coding:

6F200EFFFC2928D4080802013600892006F1240047A005B0648840009C70

I will take some video/pictures this weekend to show how they look.

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Byte 18=24

Bumping this up again. Here is some fresh video of the lighting, front and rear. Sorry about the rear LED kind of being washed out. But the center bullet is only lit when the brakes are applied. The only issue is an occasional BOW for the rear fog on startup. It will go away if the lamp is turned on so the BCM can recognize it. Still fishing for the LED monitoring bit in the undocumented bits.
The sequence is as follows;
Rear park lights, left then right
Car on - lamp flicker for bulb check
left amber turn, right amber turn, 4 ways
brakes and reverse and brake
driving lights, left turn, right turn and rear fog
Front park lights, left then right
DRL's, left turn, right turn, 4 ways
driving lights, fogs, left turn, right turn
HIDs, high beams
Turns again and 4 ways, back to DRL's and off.

Here is the video:
http://s1267.photobucket.com/user/vw_norm/media/Lighting/Front_RearByte1824_zps181ac813.mp4.html

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
LED Rear Fog BOW Eliminator

I've been really pleased with the operation of the front and rear HID/LED lighting retrofits, with the exception of a random bulb out warning for the rear fog light when I start the car. I have not been able to discern a pattern to it with the light switch in Auto or Off, whether in the dark or in broad daylight, etc. Contacted R-T, but didn't provide more than to try some another coding in Byte 18 that were similar to my current Byte 18 = 24 coding. Guess that's what happens on the bleeding edge! But I couldn't find the one that would seem to provide everything in one coding. Lights were either too bright, or the bullets were lit with the rest, etc. So I came up with this simple relay and (yes) a resistor to fool the BCM lamp check when starting the car. It's been a week so far, and no BOWs since connecting this. This is all mounted in the trunk lid, on a stiffener strut inside the lid. Sorry, no pictures of the relay installed at this time, but here is the schematic:

A downloadable pdf is also located here: http://ppl.ug/TkunVsFA06M/

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
We really need to figure out how to change the lighting map / code the BCM to do what we want.

-J
Agreed - and there are plenty of blank code slots above HEX C0 just begging for some real custom codes to be inserted. While I've read of the exploits of a few that have gone into and reprogrammed earlier clusters, I've yet to read anything about BCM hacking.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
I was going to install mine this weekend but I am short about 8 repair wires so I am a little bummed. Not sure how it happened but I only ordered 5 :confused:.

I will try some local dealers tomorrow but I won't be surprised if they don't have them. This weekend would have been perfect too. I may end up having to wait until next year. Oh well...

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
I am trying to find the repair wire part # for the inner/trunk trunk side connector # 7N0-972-703. It is my understanding that the existing 4-pin trunk harness connector gets removed and the 3-pin connector is installed in it's place (using a terminal tool). I am looking at those connectors and repair wire 000-979-133-E is not compatible with the new 3-pin connector.

Does anyone know the wire part number?

I am going to configure the lights the same way Fixmy59bug configured his.

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
I am trying to find the repair wire part # for the inner/trunk trunk side connector # 7N0-972-703. It is my understanding that the existing 4-pin trunk harness connector gets removed and the 3-pin connector is installed in it's place (using a terminal tool). I am looking at those connectors and repair wire 000-979-133-E is not compatible with the new 3-pin connector.
Does anyone know the wire part number?
000-979-133-E Wire qty: 9
???-???-???-? Wire qty: 6
1J0-972-722 Connector qty: 2
1J0-972-723 Connector qty: 2
7N0-972-703 Connector qty: 2
5K0-972-713 Housing qty: 2
3C0-972-733 Connector qty: 2
10 Watt 100 OHM Resistors qty: 2
10 Watt 50 OHM Resistors qty: 2
I got 6 of the 5K0-972-713. I used them as sockets to plug the OEM trunk lid wire harness into, with the 4 way on the other end, the body OEM harness (after converting the stock 4 pin plug into a 3 pin plug with the 6 way on the other end, and the other 2 as short jumpers to plug the converted body harnesses (3 way) back into the stock body taillights (OEM 4 way) while I was prototyping modifications. They will also facilitate if I ever want to go back (not!) to stock lights.
As far as repair wires go, I tried to get plain contacts first. I bought a bunch of N-906-844-05 flat contacts (sockets actually - 40 of them) and made my own wire harnesses up for the connectors to the new lamps. They were only 43 cents each. But you need a Type W crimper to crimp them correctly.

The listing below states that the repair wire for these flat contacts is the 000-979-133.
The repair wire you're looking for is the 000-979-132-E. I tried to get the pin contacts for these (N 103 361 05) too, but were unavailable so I had to splurge for the repair wires.
Here is the link to the above flat contact:
www.passatplus.de/umbauteile/stecker/stecker5.htm
And more:
www.passatplus.de/umbauteile/stecker/stecker2.htm
www.passatplus.de/umbauteile/stecker/stecker.htm
www.passatplus.de/umbauteile/stecker/stecker3.htm
www.passatplus.de/umbauteile/stecker/stecker4.htm
www.passatplus.de/umbauteile/stecker/stecker6.htm

Last edited:

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
Edit: I misread some of your post. I had hoped to get just the terminals that come on the 000-979-132-E repair wire but that's ok. I am still looking through the links and they are a big help. I am still not sure about all those connector part numbers so that's why I removed them so as not to spread false data.

I would be really happy to have the amber turns working and I would really like to copy your config but it looks to be too much for my ability.

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Is the N 103 358 07 terminal found in the link below the same terminal that is on repair wire 000-979-132-E? It looks to be but I am not sure about their exact sizes
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Catalogues/nsxjr.com_Audipins.pdf
No. From looking at each, one is a pin (-132)

and a socket (358-07).

when i was prototyping, I had a hard time determining what would fit what. What was already listed by fixmy59bug was a great starting point. So I took the shotgun approach and bought a bunch of a lot of different connectors and repair wires. It would be good if these came with dimensions. I also found a bunch of these connectors in Mouser.com online catalog, but with a completely different part number scheme. http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/929939-3/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs7eK6h2EBtKmzzDvcPEJhEUVEwS%2fB5cG8%3d. I was not able to cross reference them however. Thanks for the great Audi pin link. Added to my library.

Last edited:

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
No. From looking at each, one is a pin (-132)

and a socket (358-07).

when i was prototyping, I had a hard time determining what would fit what. What was already listed by fixmy59bug was a great starting point. So I took the shotgun approach and bought a bunch of a lot of different connectors and repair wires. It would be good if these came with dimensions. I also found a bunch of these connectors in Mouser.com online catalog, but with a completely different part number scheme. http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMs7eK6h2EBtKmzzDvcPEJhEUVEwS/B5cG8=. I was not able to cross reference them however. Thanks for the great Audi pin link. Added to my library.
I ordered some sockets from Bold Sport, 3 different sizes that I think and hope will match what is needed. I didn't go crazy and spent less then $20. If they are right it will mean we have some verified part numbers and at least 1 source. I will continue to look for more numbers and sources for the terminals. My goal is to minimize or eliminate as much butt-connecting and/or soldering as possible.

I am taking my time with this as I have other mods to complete. I may even consider your config as I would really like the amber turns to work. I could also live without the rear fogs if that made things easier.

Are you still getting occasional BOW's under certain conditions?

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
I am taking my time with this as I have other mods to complete. I may even consider your config as I would really like the amber turns to work. I could also live without the rear fogs if that made things easier.
Are you still getting occasional BOW's under certain conditions?
See post 124 above. Built this circuit to eliminate the rear fog BOW since I couldn't find a coding that would and have everything else work as well. If you're running extra circuits for rear ambers, might as well run one for the rear fog. The hardest part is moving wires in the BCM connectors given the limited space and even more limited wire lengths to move wires from plug C to A. Doing this does affect the front DRL LEDs, but that was resolved with another custom relay circuit. That is also discussed in this thread #121. Plus amber rear turns will require recoding the verboten Byte 18. And a Euro switch and trigger wire to BCM.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
See post 124 above. Built this circuit to eliminate the rear fog BOW since I couldn't find a coding that would and have everything else work as well. If you're running extra circuits for rear ambers, might as well run one for the rear fog. The hardest part is moving wires in the BCM connectors given the limited space and even more limited wire lengths to move wires from plug C to A. Doing this does affect the front DRL LEDs, but that was resolved with another custom relay circuit. That is also discussed in this thread #121. Plus amber rear turns will require recoding the verboten Byte 18. And a Euro switch and trigger wire to BCM.
OK gotcha.

I have spoken to the tech at the dealer that did some recent warranty on my car. Nice guy and we talked for a while. He approached me and said "I like your headlights, they are really cool". When I asked about them and any warranty flags his reply way "we don't care about them". And of course the lights themselves are not covered. He also asked me where I got them and where his buddy could get the taillights. However, He told me flat out that a tune would definitely get the car flagged in Germany.

With all that said I have to think that doing my tail lights the way you did yours might get a lot more then just the housings voided from the warranty. If the car rides out the warranty with no issues they may never find out. Even if something major does happen it may not come up. But if anything electrical comes up and they discover how extensive the config is I feel pretty confident they will slam the door shut on any coverage.

It is probably best that I stick to Fixmy59bug's config for now. Who knows, as new parts and developments come out you may come up with a more laymen friendly config :)

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Had an incident in my garage the other day, now I'm forced to go and clean it up, or build a bigger garage. But I ended up backing into a metal edge, which fortunately only impacted the trunk side left LED taillight and 'starred' the outer lens cap. I soon as I heard that distinctive 'pop' I knew it wasn't good. Anyone out there have a set of LED taillights that they want to unload for whatever reason? I'd be willing to take them off your hands....Let me know. Thanks.
A picture of the starred tailight:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Bummer! I was hoping you had damaged one of the outer fixtures as one of my inners is broken too (got it that way) and we could make both of our cars "perfect" with one new set of fixtures :eek:

-J

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Bummer! I was hoping you had damaged one of the outer fixtures as one of my inners is broken too (got it that way) and we could make both of our cars "perfect" with one new set of fixtures :eek:

-J
Which side inner - left or right?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I've read through both of these LED tail threads here and still have a question... I see in vw_norm's schematic that an output from the BCM (52c/47) controls the rear fog with his current coding. I do not have a set of the rear LEDs (and don't plan on messing with the coding), but custom built my own rear LED fog in the stock housings. I did see earlier mentions of running a wire to the BCM as an input to get the icon to light, but didn't see what pin that was.

My rear fog is fully functional, but I'd like to get the icon working - what pin do I use as an input?

EDIT - just saw this in the vwvortex thread:
BCM Connector 52a (the black one) on pin #17. Sound correct?

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
My rear fog is fully functional, but I'd like to get the icon working - what pin do I use as an input?

EDIT - just saw this in the vwvortex thread:
BCM Connector 52a (the black one) on pin #17. Sound correct?
that's the correct pin to use. Have you seen the DIY?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
that's the correct pin to use. Have you seen the DIY?
I had not seen that - cool that my foglight thread is linked within it! :) I had read through all of the individual threads, but since I don't plan on actually installing the LED tails (not that I wouldn't love to), it was hard to weed out the extra info.

Thanks again - guess I gotta order another repair wire!

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Replaced LED Taillights

After my mishap with cracking the left trunk lens, I ordered a replacement set of the LED taillights, since I could buy a pair for the side, or buy a complete set. Glad I bought a complete set, since the ones I got now had a slightly different resistor board for the LED's, driving them at a lower voltage level. See this pic for the difference between the older body side and the replacement trunk lid lamp:

All other functions are unchanged.
So I went ahead and changed them all out. I like the way they look:

Lights only:

Brake applied:

I've put the old set on sale in the classifieds. The cracked lens can be repaired, IMO.
LED Tailights for Sale

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
I dont even want to know how expensive diesel must be in Hawaii.
About 50 cents/gallon more than RUG. How's that for a concise answer?

There is a lot of diesel production, but a lot is used in power generation here, which drives up the price of street diesel to about $4.70/gallon. And coupled with other industrial uses, diesel is more costly. But with the MPG benefit realized in the Passat, really levels the field with RUG at 4.15-4.20/gallon.
Price of paradise.....

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
About 50 cents/gallon more than RUG. How's that for a concise answer?

There is a lot of diesel production, but a lot is used in power generation here, which drives up the price of street diesel to about $4.70/gallon. And coupled with other industrial uses, diesel is more costly. But with the MPG benefit realized in the Passat, really levels the field with RUG at 4.15-4.20/gallon.
Price of paradise.....
Besides, it's not like you can go very far... ;)

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Besides, it's not like you can go very far... ;)
That is correct. Generally, fillups are only twice a month. But in just over two years of ownership, managed to put on 31K+ miles. As long as you keep mountain on the left and ocean on the right, there is little need for GPS. Lots of of roads don't even show up.