Injector upgrade question

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Well I'm debating on trying to go from my 1019's in my 03 ALH to .230 Wuzetem's, I know smoke will be increased, but how much are we actually talkin' about here? And I assume it's only under a heavy load?

Also, can I get away with leaving my tune alone, or do I have to have it redone at some point? Currently have a stage 4 Malone, 11mm pump, lift pump, vnt17, 2.5'' turbo back, BEW intake.

There's nothing wrong with my current injectors. They are freshly repaired from Franko6 himself, almost no smoke at all currently.

Things I'm also considering to go along with this possible upgrade is ported/polished head and oil pump upgrade. Maybe even go as crazy as LSD install.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
head work is pointless right now.
Your 1019's are small nozzles but they can put down some decent power. Consider going with a upgrade on the turbo to a vtn17 and get a tune from malone. that will jump your power up considerably. those 2 things will be upgrade proof for a while, well the tune will need a retune (usually much less than the first tune) if you go to larger stuff. but the vtn17 is a solid turbo and will make some crazy good power to light weight power with no issues. Start there. Downpipe will help out with EGT's. I highly recommend getting an EGT gauge probe (i prefer Auber) if your going to do any modding past what you have. its cheep insurance and you can easily wire the auber into a automatic defuel mode with the brake switch and the built in auber relay set to your EGT limit.

I run PP764's stage 2 pop tested and tuned, malone stage 6 custom tune with a GT2052 turbo, pd150 intake and some mild head work, some other stuff but thats mostly the power mods, many others to speak of and i have them listed in my video linked below.
Not bad on smoke unless i put it down. 230HP and i had it dialed back due to trans issues. I know my car is older and not the same engine but its basically the same in heart and i reference it based on your question of smoke. take a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZWX8yO3cgE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soqc0Ye0hgo

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey, not trying to sound snappy, but I already have a Malone tune and Vnt17. Trying to debate if I should go with larger nozzles or not. The reason why I will do the head at some point is because my head has 330k on it and as far as I can tell, never been taken off the car, I'm sure the valves need lapped.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Oh, my mistake. Yea, other than some fuel mods, nozzles are probably next. And more boost!

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Nero,

Do the nozzles, but Mongler is right, you'll need a bigger turbo to really take advantage of them. Not sure what a Malone stage 4 tune means.
My RC 4 is running 26psi and my Wuzetem .230 are set at an IQ of 6.0,
deviation of <1.0.

This gives a bit of smoke at WOT and great power, although the old generation 17/22 is a bit slow to spool from 1500rpm, and I can spike the
turbo. WOT at 2000rpm doesn't spike, and no puff of smoke at tip in
on the throttle, which it did before I got my catch can in. I'm sure the air/
compressor side of the turbo is cleaner. That initial telltale puff I believe is soot coming off the blades as it starts to spool.

I had my local shop set them at the top end of the 220/300 bar spec for the pop pressures. Franko6 could probably get the deviation a bit better, but the ez starts I think mean good atomisation.

If you're after FE, don't do it. I avg ~ 40mpg, not the greatest, but wow,
hit the throttle running 75 and 2400rpm, and I'm moving. Towing my
teardrop trailer (~1200#s) is NO problem. For the performance of my GT setup,see the "what is handling" thread, I reckon I'm getting great bang for the buck in the FE/Performance department.

In the interest of more air I just got an airbox kit with the larger MAF and turbo inlet pipe. I'll be interested to see what kind of difference that
will make to improve efficiency. I'll eventually go for a ball bearing turbo, but the car is running so nicely, I should leave well enough alone.
If Franko6 ever gets around to my head & cam I'll be tempted by
a GTD17/56vkr, but money's tight for the near future, I'll wait and keep
my upgraditis in remission.

Boils down to whether you're chasing FE, or performance, no free lunch if you go with performance.

My $.02

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Always a pleasure getting your two cents Russ, yes I'd like to try and maintain fuel eco, I have heard from some that there isn't much of a drop between 1019 to 764, 216 to 230s. Biggest difference is how generous you are with your right foot. Lately I've been grandma-ing it around, and my fuel eco has gone to low 40s mixed, just wanted some input if I should do it, or leave it alone. Or get replacement 1019s with wuzetems and get rid of that bosio stuff I have in my car currently.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With my set up I would get a normal 39mpg the way I drive. If I drove like my mother ( a sane person) I'll get into the 50s.