www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2007

TDIFest 2007 Discussion about TDIFest 2007 that happened in Montréal, Canada.

Old March 26th, 2007, 00:57   #91
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeprof
AMEN on that one...

Having a cell phone is bad enough!
Most cell phones(unknown to most persons...) already have a GPS locator chip IN them, and most people have a cell phone.

And then have a chip in the driver license, NO !

I though this country was the country of the free and ...(what else...?), I forgot since it is NOT available any more .

I think I will stop there .
It is not so easy but you can go into the main menu of the GPS equipped cell phones and disable the automatic GPS . I did as soon as I got my current phone as it makes the battery last longer when the GPS is off .

The GPS is automatically re-engaged when you dial 911 which causes the phone to go into 911 mode . The GPS disables again once you get out of 911 mode .
Old March 26th, 2007, 20:22   #92
bikeprof
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 @ 65 & getting better...

rotarykid: That is something that I want to do on my cell phone.

I will get it on first order when I get to the T-Mobile outlet(this wednesday).

bikeprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 09:25   #93
kcfoxie
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: see fuelly

I had absolutely no idea it was this complicated to drive into canda. based on what i'm reading, my speeding record likely would prohibit my entry. Then we encounter foreign road signs and taxes, I think I'll have to wait for TDIFest to come back state-side, such a bummer

PS: While we aren't winning this year, don't forget Carolina took the cup home last year. I'd proudly display my Hurricanes flag out the back passenger window (I am, of course, from their US Home State). Sorry, couldn't resist... I had a lot of fun with my Canadian coworker who kept chanting "Lets go Oilers" when he'd pass my cube last year
Old March 29th, 2007, 09:30   #94
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcfoxie
I had absolutely no idea it was this complicated to drive into canda.
Not really...

Montreal is one of the finest restaurant cities in the world...

Truely unique in this hemisphere...

Worth a longer visit than only for the Fest... stay a week !!!

Yuri. (only slightly biased... )
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 09:40   #95
kcfoxie
Veteran Member

I have a friend in Montreal I could stay with.. but I'm not certain that with my pending school zone speeding ticket, that I could get into Canada at all. Plus the TDIFest is the same weekend as my usual trip home to Memphis (ironically, it's 768 miles to Memphis and 873 miles to Montreal, only a 105 mile difference between the two!)
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:12   #96
Radman
Veteran Member

A speeding ticket is not an issue. If you have a criminal record then you may have a problem. Otherwise no problems. I frequently go to the US and have a speeding ticket on my record. It is not an issue, customs does not even see that info. You are panicking too much. Relax and come to the Fest. It is guaranteed to be a good time!
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:35   #97
kcfoxie
Veteran Member

I'll keep it in mind, I've always wanted to go up North

Say, when you stop for fuel.. can you use a US credit or debit card? Will they take US cash? (Probably a good question to ask now in my planning stages). Also, are the pumps going to be easy to figure out "Diesel" from the other fuel types, even if they are in French? (I've never left the USA before.. which is why this excites me!)
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:12   #98
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Diesel is diesel in both English and Quebec French, so no problemo. US credit cards will work. Cash too probably but you won't get the best exchange rate.

873 miles; too bad you have an A5; in an A4 you'd just about be able to make it up here on one tank, or at least make it to the border, tank up on cheaper fuel on the US side, visit our fair city, then head back, tank up again on the US side and make it home...but I guess you'll end up having to tank somewhere around Albany or so if you come up that way...
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:12   #99
Radman
Veteran Member

We are not some foreign country in the far east LOL! Yes your credit / debit cards will be fine and Diesel pumps are easily identifyable. Montreal is a very nice city. lots to do and see. If you are young and enjoy the nitelife you can party all nite long. Drinking age is 18+. Most places do speak english as well.
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:27   #100
kcfoxie
Veteran Member

I've never been; so I didn't know You guys are talking about french road signs, and I'm thinking "great, I failed spanish, how am I going to figure out the fuel signs!"... and the only reason I asked about the cards was due to an expense issue that one of my coworkers had when in the UK (which I realize is farther away than Canada). You guys are playing mythbusters for me, and I appreciate it ... I know you probably think I'm a moron, but like I've said the farthest North I've been is Maryland, I've been within 100 miles of the US Boarder, but never crossed it!

Regarding the fuel; we'll see. I have to make a trip back to Memphis to get a pair of cats (brother and sister) from my parents; since I've been seeing 490/500 miles to the light, and still haven't put more than 13.4 gallons in the car at any given point in time (and I haven't attempted venting, which I don't know if the A5 can do because of their wonderfully limiting Auto Diezel filler neck), so I'm hoping that 60MPH + cruise would net closer to 600 miles on the highway... and if I can figure out how to vent the tank and get those extra litres in there, even better.

So this begs the next noobie question: Is it illegal to carry 3-4 gallons of diesel in an approved fuel canister over the boarder?
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:29   #101
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...l/pageone.html

Watch that video. That'll answer your question, at least as of 2003.

(For those that don't care to click, it's an interview with Fred Voglmaier - as in VW Derf - and someone else. It shows Fred (and others) taking cans of bioiesel back over the border.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:41   #102
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcfoxie
Is it illegal to carry 3-4 gallons of diesel in an approved fuel canister over the boarder?
You don't need to do that... plenty of Diesel available everywhere... just remember that Quebec prices are often higher than in Ontario or in the U.S... With the range of the TDI's, just make sure to fill up a bit before entering Quebec, and that should hold you a good way towards your next destination...

Credit Cards make shopping easy, although having a bit of local currency is always a good idea... just ask anyone who used to travel in Europe before the conversion to Euros...

Yuri.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:53   #103
Radman
Veteran Member

Crossing the border is really not that big of a deal. I sure hope people are not reluctant to come to TDI Fest just because of that? Just have the proper ID and answer the questions (leave weapons at home) and you will be fine. I cross into the US 3 to 4 times a year for over 20 years and never once got hassled. US customs is usually stricter than Cdn customs in my experience. But since you are US citizens you should not have any issues.
All this to say that you should not avoid coming just because of customs etc. Airport security is more of an issue than customs. Please come enjoy the Fest! You wont be disappointed!
Old March 29th, 2007, 13:02   #104
kcfoxie
Veteran Member

ok; well I think I have no more excuses. Now I just need to figure out hotel and the US-costs and start squirreling monies for it.
Old April 7th, 2007, 15:46   #105
ANIMAL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2nd tank 53 mpg avg

Just a little info on border crossings there are also 2 between Detroit and Pt Huron one at Algonac and one at Marine City both use ferry's to cross the St Clair River, just another option in case Detroit and Pt Huron are all backed up.