www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2007

TDIFest 2007 Discussion about TDIFest 2007 that happened in Montréal, Canada.

Old November 9th, 2006, 21:40   #76
BlueCTTDi
Veteran Member

just out of curiosity, how long is a passport good for once it's issued?
BlueCTTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 21:49   #77
TDIinRI
Veteran Member

They are good for 10 years.

As posted in the travel from USA to Canada thread:
a passport in not required but recommended. I, however, would like to implore all of you to get a passport. It will make life easier. They cost less than $100, are good for 10 years, and are a form of picture ID accepted the world over!

Honestly guys, if you can spare the extra cash, get a passport. It speeds things up at the border and is such a useful document to have.
Old November 9th, 2006, 23:23   #78
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

I worked in the US for 2 1/2 years between late 2000 until early 2003, and with only one harrowing exception carried my passport without fail as I crossed the border almost every single weekend within that span.

I got used to it and afterwards still presented my passport at crossings. I've never, EVER been hassled at the border.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 00:29   #79
Jeraass

TDI(s): Jetta

Awesome! I love Montreal.
Jeraass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 04:50   #80
BlueCTTDi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIinRI
They are good for 10 years.

As posted in the travel from USA to Canada thread:
a passport in not required but recommended. I, however, would like to implore all of you to get a passport. It will make life easier. They cost less than $100, are good for 10 years, and are a form of picture ID accepted the world over!

Honestly guys, if you can spare the extra cash, get a passport. It speeds things up at the border and is such a useful document to have.
Thanks Tommy!

exactly what I was wondering, because I'd rather just do it now instead of waiting until the last minute and having to scramble next July / August.

BlueCTTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 05:16   #81
kromicacid
Veteran Member

If you are going to get a passport, then you should get it several months in advance. The government can take some time getting them issued to you, even though there is a way to PAY $$$ to get it quicker.
~ 2006.5 Special Edition Jetta TDI ~ DSG ~ Graphite Blue ~ 65k miles
~ 2004 Jetta TDI GLS~ Platinum Grey ~ 110k miles
kromicacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 14:15   #82
J double R
Fail Train Conductor

Fuel Economy: 45-50 mpg

anyone from the Omaha NE area heading up? i MAY be living in that area by then.. if not then i'll just head up w/the new england crowd.

J double R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 14:52   #83
Jetter_Sprinta
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor

Fuel Economy: Better than a Prius ;-)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman
For those of you who need or already have Passports I highly reccomend you get them renewed (if not already) I think it is much easier to cross if you have one. I barely got asked any questions when crossing this morning. They scanned my Passport and just asked where and why I was going and thats it.....
If they'll let him in, they'll let anyone in !

Dude, you were in Beantown and did not look us up? It's OK (Rad)man, I'm more hurt than angry ! I was really thirsty this week too!

Last edited by Jetter_Sprinta; November 10th, 2006 at 14:55.
Jetter_Sprinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 16:37   #84
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromicacid
If you are going to get a passport, then you should get it several months in advance. The government can take some time getting them issued to you, even though there is a way to PAY $$$ to get it quicker.
It takes about 6 weeks to get a passport using the standard processing - but I still wouldn't wait. I just got one for a cruise we took to Bermuda the middle of October. We applied the 1st of July and the passport arrived the 20th of August. You can choose expidited processing which saves, I think, about 3-4 weeks from the processing time. Also supposedly you can actually go stand in line and get same day service - at least in Washington DC - I'm not sure about anyplace else.

And if there is any problems with paperwork you will need more time. For example, my mom who went didn't have a birth certificate (born at home in 1928, doctor didn't have to file and didn't). So we had to get 1 - an affidavid from her sister that said she was born in CA and didn't have a certificate. 2 - a copy of the closes census report showing she was reported on the census. And 3 - a letter/certificate from CA saying that there was no birth certificate on file. This ended up adding about 3 weeks onto the processing time for her passport.
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:09   #85
J double R
Fail Train Conductor

Fuel Economy: 45-50 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrove
Also supposedly you can actually go stand in line and get same day service - at least in Washington DC - I'm not sure about anyplace else.
there is a place in Boston to do this as well.. they require us in the military to have passports now too, so i can easily find out if there are any more.

J double R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 06:58   #86
Radman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetter_Sprinta
If they'll let him in, they'll let anyone in !

Dude, you were in Beantown and did not look us up? It's OK (Rad)man, I'm more hurt than angry ! I was really thirsty this week too!
I heard you were out of BEER so did not bother contacting you Sorry was on a tight schedule
Old November 11th, 2006, 22:27   #87
arvina
Veteran Member

Location: Brazoria (or as we call it, an hour south of houston), Texas
Fuel Economy: 42 min, 48 max

well i had hoped to make it to a tdi fest. but no way am i driving 2500 plus miles...sorry. maybe in about 5 years.
Old November 12th, 2006, 18:59   #88
WPB TDI FRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW Derf

I'm proud to announce that TDIFest 2007 will be hold in Montréal, Canada on the Labour Day weekend (August 31, 2007 - September 2, 2007). This will be the second time TDIFest has been north of the US border and promises to be another fun fill weekend.
I believe Montréal is a good choice, and I will consider attending, but waayy too early for me to decide that in November 2006.

The publication of the "winning bid" on pdf link was interesting and helpful for future guidance, but rather simplistic.

HOWEVER, what I am wondering about is: 1) What where the other choices/cities available, if any, for the '07 Fest decision, and 2) How exactly is the decision-making process made to decide on the "winning" bid/city for a Fest gathering.

WPB TDI FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 19:10   #89
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

Although I m not sure if this is true or not......I believe the Montreal Bid was the only one submitted......
And I believe this to be the case in all of the other fest's......
Fred Vogelmier the owner of this site makes this decision!
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 15:52   #90
Biohoward

Fuel Economy: avg about 44-46
Default General Passport Info

I applied for my passport several months ago so I am good for the next 10 years. However here are a couple of notes of interest

get a passport picture, I got mine at a local drugstore for $7.50

Go to the local post office and present your picture to the clerk and they in turn will give you a form to fill out.
Fill out the form, answer all of the questions and you are good to go. Your passport will be mailed back to your home.

You have to provide a certified copy of your birth certificate and they will send it back with your completed passport.

I paid $90.00 USD, I paid in CASH and it took about 5 weeks to get the passport returned to me.

Hope this helps

2006 was my firest TDI Fest and I am hoping to attend the 2007 TDI Fest because I had a great time, met some really nice folks and I learned a few things along the way. I will be driving up from Illinois and I hope to make a stop to see Niagara Falls before returning home.