Trailer hitch for Golf - where to buy & install

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
That time of year again when I consider adding a hitch to the Golf and getting a small trailer to haul bark-mulch, etc., etc.

So, where can I purchase a good, safe hitch around Metro and who is best to install it?

I know Uhaul sells them, but are they to be avoided?

Canadian Tire's website only lists hitch balls under "hitches" - dill-holes.

Where's Andrew? He's a towing-God... ;)

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
I've got a 3/4" bit here... We'll put a hole somewhere close to center on your bumper and screw a ball onto it. Big wad of epoxy around the base and it should hold...

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
Fyrman said:
I've got a 3/4" bit here... We'll put a hole somewhere close to center on your bumper and screw a ball onto it. Big wad of epoxy around the base and it should hold...
I see you advocate the "classy" approach"...

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
You need a wiring adapter also for the car.I got them at Carquest as they have a lifetime warranty I think as I've taken 3 back and it is always the RH signal light going out.You need a longer bolt to replace the ones for the muffler hanger aftyer you put the bracket up there, and I had to trim some of the heat shield. The hidden hitch style has a lower rating also.I'd repaint a new one also as they seem to rust quickly.

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
Thanks - I'll take a look for it and see if it leads anywhere.

Do jetta hitches fit Golfs and vice-versa guys? 2001 Golf, I have...

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own... None right now!
Here's a Bosal for sale:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=140441&highlight=bosal

This doesn't appear to be the exact same one I have. It appears it's a round receiver that hangs a little lower than the completely hidden Bosal. IMHO, it's not a bad price. The one I have has towed 1600lbs at 80mph, no problems. I like the fact the receiver fits in the spare tire area. I like the fact I drilled ZERO holes in my Golf.

I don't like the fact it's not a square receiver and I can't fit the usual array of carriers, racks and accessories into the hitch.

Last edited:

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
I like the idea of not having to drill holes, too, Dave.

Unfortunately, that guy won't ship to Canada (where I am) and $450, while I'm sure a good deal, is WAAAAY more than I'll need to spend - though I'll have to contend with a hole or two in the car. :(

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own... None right now!
sportsguy said:
I like the idea of not having to drill holes, too, Dave.

Unfortunately, that guy won't ship to Canada (where I am) and $450, while I'm sure a good deal, is WAAAAY more than I'll need to spend - though I'll have to contend with a hole or two in the car. :(
Yeah I remember that part now about not wanting to ship to Canada... Don't you have a "relative" in the USofA you can ship that to? FWIW, I didn't want a big hunk of steel hanging under the back of my Golf so I had to get the Bosal. Those big bars just rust and get grungy too easy. In the salt and sand of N. Florida, it wouldn't take long to get there...

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
I hear ya on the rust - they actively salt our roads in the winter here. :(

...as for "relatives" in the US - nope - proudly 100% Canadian - though I do know this one oddball in a place called Bend-Or - man, you 'mercans have odd place names... ;)

I'll admit, however, to growing up near a place called Balls Creek...and in Newfoundland, they have Conception Bay, Placentia Bay and Come-By-Chance... go figure... I think newfies are odd, too... ;)

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
All the hitch offerings in NA require drilling for installation. if you're anti-drilling, finding a US of A "relative" would be useful.

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
Stop by next time you're out. I have one here off some sort of GM, a Grandamage I think. I have no idea how close the fit is but if it's something you can modify to fit, we could enjoy a little Mathusala together over it... :D

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
How about I just buy one from U-Haul, have them install it, buy the rum, stop over, have a drink and we can stare at the newly installed hitch? Sound like a plan? ;)

1oldfrt

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI, silverstone grey w/moonroof
Hitch

Try "The Hitch Centre" in Dartmouth. They install and wire as well. This is what they do best. Hidden Hitch and Draw Tite are the same company. One had shiny balck paint and the HH has flat black. The HH comes with a receiver cover, which gives a nice finished look. 3 of our VW's use HH.

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
sportsguy said:
How about I just buy one from U-Haul, have them install it, buy the rum, stop over, have a drink and we can stare at the newly installed hitch? Sound like a plan? ;)
Yup. And... yup. With perhaps a ... yup!:cool: