Help with gearshifting and Amsoil gearlube

amgad

Veteran Member
TDI
My car has been experiencing problems with gearshifting, being hard with little precision sometimes. My car is a Tdi 110 Golf. It has been like this from almost the begining and has been checked many times with several dealers,,, and there is nothing they can do. I'm thingking of useing AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 75W-90 Gear Lube. Has anyone used this and seen any improvemet??? Any one used it and seen any negative effects. Does it realy work? I have to order it form the US, Does anyone know if it is available anywhere in europe???
Can anyone help.

Thanks a lot

------------------
email : amgad@apdo.com

colucci

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1998 Green
Amsoil has a good reputation. I was thinking of switching myself. My shifting is very notchy especially compared to my girfriend's GTI VR6. That said, I am certain there are quality synthetic gear oils available in Europe. The folks on this page from the UK swear by Millers engine oil. Maybe Millers also makes gear oil. Another idea is to go to your local "hot-rod" shop and see what they use. Good luck

D'nardo

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
I'm using it. I find it to be no better/worse than the synthetic lube from the factory.

------------------
Ric Woodruff

"Worry gives small things a big shadow"

1998 Jetta TDI Custom Sport

Hondo

Veteran Member
I just changed mine about a month ago. Because when it was cold out mine shifted a little hard into first gear.

After the change in cold weather I find its much worse then the OEM fluid. It is very hard to shift in and out of first gear till you put on maybe 3-4 miles or the tranny warms up some. It wasn’t near this bad before the change.

Once it warms up it shifts much smoother then it ever did. So it’s a toss up, but at least it is fresh fluid!

Also we changed tranny fluid in 5 or 6 cars at our last MI GTG and all cars were low on fluid from the factory. It seems we drained out about 1.6 quarts and put in 2.2 quarts if memory serves me right. If you do nothing else I would at least check and top off the tranny with OEM stuff.
Hondo

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Dave Oh (tdimeister) put Redline MTL 75w80 in his car, and it shifted noticeably better than mine which still has the 170,000 km OEM VW gear oil. That's what I'll be changing to come summertime.

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI mit UPsolute

henryp

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 NB TDI
I recently put it AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 75W-90 Gear Lube in my gearbox and found a marginal improvement in shifting. Nothing spectacular.
The oil itself is fairly inexpensive so you really have nothing to lose by trying it for yourself.

The problem is that the gearbox capacity is 2 litres, and the oil is sold in quarts (946 ml). So you have to buy three quarts and have some left over. That's dumb, but we can only hope that the USA comes out of the dark ages and switches to the metric system like the rest of the world.

henry

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
I'd try a 75w-90 synthetic gear lube that's sold in Europe, like Motul or Agip or Castrol. Mobil also sells a 75w-90 synthetic that you can use. The cost to ship 2 quarts of Amsoil would be more than the oil itself!

TooSlick