www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old September 10th, 2014, 09:06   #1
evoblade
Veteran Member

Default Oil pan cover / undertray questions (2009 Jetta TDI)

I am considering a Panzer-plate or similar for my 2009 Jetta TDI, any recommendations?
Also, I bought this car used and it was missing the undertray under the engine. This saves me time on oil changes, but does it cost me MPGs or make the engine run hotter? Obviously VW thought there was a benefit to having it. It is worth replacing or not?

2009 Jetta TDI, 6sp MT, white with tan/black interior, HPFP failures at 167k and 190k miles, DMF to SMF conversion at 186k miles (failure). Back on the road!
2011 Jetta Sportwagon TDI, moon roof, DSG, Toffee Brown with tan/black interior. (VW bought this one back)
evoblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 09:37   #2
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

I have the diesel-geek/panzer plate on mine (currently $275). I just visited Tim's German Auto for my 80k service, and the tech told me it was the nicest one he's seen. I think $275 is very reasonable for the protection it affords.
MPG change w/o the undertray? W/o wind-tunnel testing, it'd be hard to prove the difference. What it probably does is cut down on road noise, as well as protect the undercarriage from excessive exposure.
FYI, dieselgeek recommends keeping the OEM undertray in place, installing the Panzer plate below it. You can phone them for more information, they've been very friendly and easy to work with.
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
2017 Ford Energi Titanium, purchased 12/15/18
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 10:04   #3
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Dieselgeek panzer plate, absolute necessity. Plastic oem dust sheild, absolutely useless.
Tdijarhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 10:21   #4
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

^^^except for keeping the undercarriage clean, and decreasing road noise...
Old September 10th, 2014, 11:11   #5
Marc_TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 32/42

From what I've read here on the Forum, the plastic under-tray is also to help keep in heat and dirt/debris/etc out.

As far as 'protecting' our engines, specifically the aluminum oil pan, the plastic tray is USELESS!

The Panzer plate is an addition I've been wanting on my Jetta, I'll probably leave the plastic part on as well.

This adds 10-15 lbs to the weight, the plate does sit a little lower in the nose but not enough to effect mileage.
Old September 10th, 2014, 11:23   #6
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

When I bought mine in 2010, dieselgeek recommended keeping the plastic tray in. Don't know if they still think that's the best.
Old September 10th, 2014, 13:27   #7
evoblade
Veteran Member

Doesn't sound like this plastic undertray does much then. I won't bother.

Just to clarify, I wasn't asking if my plastic undertray would prevent any need for the panzer plate.

2009 Jetta TDI, 6sp MT, white with tan/black interior, HPFP failures at 167k and 190k miles, DMF to SMF conversion at 186k miles (failure). Back on the road!
2011 Jetta Sportwagon TDI, moon roof, DSG, Toffee Brown with tan/black interior. (VW bought this one back)
evoblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 16:48   #8
meerschm
Veteran Member

except, for the 09, the plastic one may have a role in directing air flow from the fan where it needs to be to help cool the DPF/cat when/if you stop during a regen.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 18:11   #9
yatzee
Veteran Member

TDI(s): see sig

don't need the plastic tray. Have been running the 2010 for 4 years with only a Evolution plate and we've had 0 issues.

http://www.evolutionimport.com/jetta-2005-1-2-2010-mk5/
Old September 15th, 2014, 19:30   #10
90quattrocoupe

I know this is not about a TDI, but I will throw it out there.

On both the Audi quattro coupe and the Audi UrS4, tests were run with and without the under tray. With the tray installed the cars ran average of 25 to 30 degrees cooler, than with out the tray, when the cars were pushed at the track. The tray controlled the airflow coming through the grills in front.

The tray also cuts down on the under car turbulence, cause by the air flow hitting parts hanging down under the car.

For myself, I run my coupe on track days. One time I had to do a repair, which required removal of the under tray. Since, my run class was coming up, I left the tray off. Car ran about 15 degrees hotter with water and 10 degrees hotter on oil. When replaced, before the next run class, temps were back down to where they were before. Just an observation.

I always run the tray on my VAG cars. I have had 11 of them since 1970.

Greg W.
90quattrocoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 19:30   #11
kcunniff
Veteran Member

^^^^^ Bingo.
kcunniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 19:37   #12
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

The factory tray keeps salt spray off your turbo controller as well.

VW usually has has a good reason for its engineering... but WE don't always know what or why they do things in a particular fashion.

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 08:36   #13
BITRBO

TDI(s): '09 JSW DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90quattrocoupe View Post
I know this is not about a TDI, but I will throw it out there.

On both the Audi quattro coupe and the Audi UrS4, tests were run with and without the under tray. With the tray installed the cars ran average of 25 to 30 degrees cooler, than with out the tray, when the cars were pushed at the track. The tray controlled the airflow coming through the grills in front.

The tray also cuts down on the under car turbulence, cause by the air flow hitting parts hanging down under the car.

For myself, I run my coupe on track days. One time I had to do a repair, which required removal of the under tray. Since, my run class was coming up, I left the tray off. Car ran about 15 degrees hotter with water and 10 degrees hotter on oil. When replaced, before the next run class, temps were back down to where they were before. Just an observation.

I always run the tray on my VAG cars. I have had 11 of them since 1970.

Greg W.
I run the factory belly pan on my S4 (which is my track car) for this very reason... That, and I have some NACA ducts attached to them for front brake cooling, so it serves dual purpose.

Although the belly pan is currently OFF my JSW, it's only because I've been working under it off & on over the last few months, otherwise I plan to put it back on whenever I get a chance. I also agree that VW wouldn't have wasted time/money on it's design if it didn't have a purpose. Dirt, aerodynamics, and heat/cooling efficiency are my guesses... Zeee Germans don't take a dump w/o a plan you know! (bastardized quote from Red October BTW ; )

BITRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 09:20   #14
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

...and a reminder that DieselGeek recommends keeping the OEM tray in place...