HELP! Coil Spring Suspension Tech Question on New Beetle

convict

TDI
high speed tennis shoe
My 02' New Beetle sits really low to the ground. I believe it has factory springs under it as it was a one owner new car trade in, in 2012. I want to raise my clearance height 1.5" to 2" and I'll tell you why in a minute. When I bought the car I noticed there was very little clearance between the pavement and the underside of the vehicle. I use a Dallas TDI forum mechanic for repairs and I had him go thru the vehicle after I bought it from the dealer. He told me the first thing I should invest in was a dieselgeek skid plate so I didn't mash my oil pan at the first bump.

Even with the skid plate installed I ran over a what I call a road titty this morning. They separate the turning lane at intersections from the other lanes. They are common in older neighborhoods. I heard this loud thump and you know exactly what was crossing my mind ? I got less than a block down the road when the red idiot/oil light on the dash came on. I killed the engine immediately and coasted to the nearest parking lot and found me a home for the bug! Got out and looked under the front of the car and black gold was pouring out. I was sick but I knew it was only a matter of time before this might happen. Well it was due for an oil change in 200 miles, Lol.....

I found 4 stock coil springs used from an 03' tdi new beetle for $ 30.00, the man lowered his NB, I cant imagine why but I didn't ask. His springs are 13" in length.

My question is, how do you determine what length/ height spring to replace the stock coil springs with ? I would like to raise my clearance by 1.5" to 2" and not make the overall appearance look like it's a jacked up off-road beetle....

Another question is I found a standard aluminum oil pan at ID Parts.com for
$ 59.95. Is this a good replacement oil pan and should I get the oil pan bolts for another $ 13.00 & change or just use the ones that I take out of the old one? Does the oil pan come with a gasket seal as well ?

This happened 9:00 am Sunday morning in Dallas, TX. and I spent the rest of my day getting my bug back to Ft. Worth, 55 miles west with the help of a family member and my truck & tilt bed car trailer.

Any feedback, suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

PS: I am staying away from them ugly road titty's, not only do they mash oil pans but if you hit one with a soft compound tire it'll make a bubble on the sidewall of your tire. Did that with my Chrysler Crossfire a half dozen times and Discount Tire finally offered me a replacement warranty for each of those expensive Continental tires...

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
... I want to raise my clearance height 1.5" to 2"
If by that you mean back to stock, then you will be fine.

Cars can sit too low - sometimes because of lowering springs, sometimes because the stock springs break (BTDT...) and there's other reasons.
...I got less than a block down the road when the red idiot/oil light on the dash came on. I killed the engine immediately...
Smart move. Not trying to drive it farther probably saved the engine.
...I found 4 stock coil springs used from an 03' tdi new beetle for $ 30.00,
Good for you. Just swap them out and you'll be back to stock height, which is still a little low in a NB.
...My question is, how do you determine what length/ height spring to replace the stock coil springs with ? I would like to raise my clearance by 1.5" to 2" and not make the overall appearance look like it's a jacked up off-road beetle....
Umm... if you don't like stock height and want more road clearance, then you are pretty much stuck with the 'jacked up off-road beetle'. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Another question is I found a standard aluminum oil pan at ID Parts.com for
$ 59.95. Is this a good replacement oil pan and should I get the oil pan bolts for another $ 13.00 & change or just use the ones that I take out of the old one?
Depends on how well you change out bolts. There is no reason you must replace them unless you mangle them on extraction. Good tools and careful work means you can reuse them. Rusted fasteners can foil those plans. And the secret hidden need-a-special-tool-to-remove-them bolts up by the rear main will drive you crazy.
Does the oil pan come with a gasket seal as well ?...
Nope, just sealing compound. If you don't buy the super-duper VW stuff, then use a film of high-temp RTV. Don't forget to give it 24 hours before cranking the engine.
...P.S. I am staying away from them ugly road [bumps]...
Wise choice.

Cheers,

PH

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
As a fellow Beetle pilot, I can only stress the need for a skid plate. I have had an aluminium one (locally fabricated) forever and it has saved my skin a few times.
Coil springs aside, new upper shock mounts/bearings also make the bug sit higher, as it should. It is actually amazing how much they compress with age.
Upgraded shocks help as well; not with absolute ride height, but with more resistance to compression.

Last edited:

NonStop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS Jetta
I just (this past Saturday) replaced all four coils on my 02 Jetta with VR6 jetta Wagon coils.
I added the two inch lift as well that I found on this site. For fear of loosing the oil out of my pan.
I'm pretty sure the wagon springs will fit the NB.