Anyone near memphis want to fix HPFP Failure?

cas.lane

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Turning my car in to the dealer....in the meantime, my HPFP has failed me and I want to get it fixed as cheaply as possible to get it turned into the dealer. Any connections of people in the area any of you may know, please forward to me. 2010 Sportwagen.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Turning my car in to the dealer....in the meantime, my HPFP has failed me and I want to get it fixed as cheaply as possible to get it turned into the dealer. Any connections of people in the area any of you may know, please forward to me. 2010 Sportwagen.
Wolfsburg VW Audi Porsche, Memphis TN, off of Summer Ave.

See another post in these forums, someone will send you a HPFP for cheap... Grab that.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472818

turbobrick240 has the HPFP.... Wolfsburg VW on Summer is the best.... You need new pump at minimum. Get the one from turbobrick240 and see if that works. You only have to drive it to Gossett VW which is 2.4 miles away. You don't need to gold plate it... Heck tow it near and drive it a few blocks. It is there problem. All they have to do is start it and park it.

Last edited:

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
He could probably get by without replacing the fuel pump. Just do a complete flush of the lines and injectors. If the car starts and runs long enough after to do the buyback, case closed.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Once the pump completely fails, it's done, caput. I assume the car is not running. Almost zero chance a flush alone will achieve anything. Unfortunately, there is almost no chance the fuel injectors can be salvaged either. Not sure how one would go about flushing the injectors anyhow.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Once the pump completely fails, it's done, caput. I assume the car is not running. Almost zero chance a flush alone will achieve anything. Unfortunately, there is almost no chance the fuel injectors can be salvaged either. Not sure how one would go about flushing the injectors anyhow.
I meant to say low pressure fuel pump and pickup pump. Obviously the HPFP will need to be replaced as that's what failed.

As for the injectors, I was thinking of removing and perhaps flushing in diesel then use some compressed air to get most of the big chunks out. The car only needs to idle and run long enough for the OP to complete the buyback.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you'd never be able to get the metal shards out of the injectors. The magnetism inside the auxiliary pump also traps a lot of shards. It's a poor design- much more comforting to drive cross country with the cp3 hpfp.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
you'd never be able to get the metal shards out of the injectors. The magnetism inside the auxiliary pump also traps a lot of shards. It's a poor design- much more comforting to drive cross country with the cp3 hpfp.
I suppose you're right. In the end, the HPFP was one of the major deciding factors when I chose to participate in the buyback. My car had 131k miles on the clock when I handed the keys over. While I pampered the car by using only diesel from high-traffic fuel stations, and adding a little lubricity additive each time, there's no telling if or when my HPFP would go. Perhaps it never would have, but that was a risk I wasn't willing to take.

Just out of curiosity, how much did the CP3 retrofit cost you?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Les at GDM has a cp3 kit with new pump and another option w used/refurbished? pump. As an early cp3 adopter I got a deal from Andrew that was between the two pricing options, but for a new pump. I was asked not to disclose what I paid- sorry. It was over $1k.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
No worries. I figured it would be over the 1k mark. Thanks.

cas.lane

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Well car only has 50k miles on it. But when HPFP exploded, I had not taken vehicle in for the fuelguard deal. Dealer refused fix since I did not have the fuel guard protector on the vehicle when the fuel pump exploded....even though they still did a fuel test and it came back with NO gasoline in the system. 100% Diesel. So I am left with this option. Need cheapest fix possible with dealer quote at $5,000 and buyback offer at 19k for a 2010.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That sucks. Have you tried contacting somebody at VWoA? That is a sh*t policy of theirs- you might find someone more sympathetic at hq.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you take it to another dealer? They shouldn't deny warranty if no gasoline was found in the system.

cas.lane

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
two dealers in Memphis but owned by same conglomerate. Not sure if how far/how much the volkswagen towing service included in the goodwill package will pay for to get towed to another city. I certainly will not be dealing with this dealer again until it is turned in! I did go to VWoA. After months, they decided they would not cover despite the tests. And the dealer even made me pay for the lab test...~$250 or so. I actually got the VWoA manager/supervisor/whatever say "The point of the fuel guard is to prevent misfueling, we have proven your vehicle was NOT misfueled, but we are still not covering the warranty" unbelievable!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, it's total b.s. that they deny coverage based on a stupid fueling guard that didn't come with the car in the first place.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I find it hard to believe that notifying an owner that a "fueling guard" should be put on the car after it is sold would cause the denial of a legitimate warranty claim if the guard was not put on.

Since when did recall notices for the installation of non-manufacturer supplied items on new cars become the basis for denying a warranty claim on the originally warrantied equipment?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Yeah, it's total b.s. that they deny coverage based on a stupid fueling guard that didn't come with the car in the first place.
I believe the misfuel guard install was to extend the warranty on the pump to 120k miles? I completely agree the factory warranty should cover the current setup as the car was not sold with the device. VWoA should hear from the OP for sure on this.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Simply put, a vehicle manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim because XXX device was installed/not installed, especially if said part did not have any bearing, influence, or direct causal effect on the part/compnent(s) that failed.

I would not let VWOA off the hook if what the OP said is 100% accurate. If we're to take the OP's account at face value, the dealer's statement claiming the cause of the failure was not due to contaminated fuel is already an admission of sorts. Just because the fueling guard was not installed should have no bearing whatsoever on the warranty covering the HPFP.

If I were the OP, I would call VWoA and request to speak to the regional manager in charge of approving warranty claims. If that can't resolve the issue, then I would consider legal options.

cas.lane

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Everything I have said is 100% accurate. I guess I will start the process of calling VWoA again. Unbelievable. Always have to wait 30_+ mins to speak with someone.