anyone thinking of going malone stage 4?

2011tdiproject

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
I was just randomly checking the malone tuning site & they're coming out with a new turbo kit for these cars. I have to give them credit, right at the time when everyone is submitting to the government & buybacks, malone steps it up. My question here is how many people are considering this? A stage 4 tdi would be impossible to duplicate or beat as far as mpg & performance combined. 240whp & 50 mpg.

2011tdiproject

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
Mine is a manual. I was just thinking if vw would give me the $ for their "fix" & then I went stage 4, that'd sure be one way I'd keep the car.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I'm of the same sentiment. Get the fix, then use the compensation money to upgrade to a CP3 HPFP and potentially a stage 4 emissions compliant tune.

I'm pretty happy with the stock torque, I would imagine that a stage 4 tune would be a hot hatch! A GTI killer? Would be quite the sleeper.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I have DSG and have been wishy-washy about stage 3 or 3.5 or 4. I just had CP3 installed last week and wow day and night difference.

2literv8eater

TDI
2013 Golf
I have DSG and have been wishy-washy about stage 3 or 3.5 or 4. I just had CP3 installed last week and wow day and night difference.
Can you give more details on the CP3 differences.

I'm at stage 3.5, CP3 is next, then clutch and then possibly a stage 4 with the bigger turbo option. This one is not going back to VW.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
So far I can hear more clacking noises much more noticeable, 1-3 mpg better so far for 500 miles driven in a week now, more responsive to gas pedal tap. it pulls much harder at WOT. much quicker to crank her up, old pump it cranks 1-3 seconds. new one, not even a second. very effortlessly to crank her up.

Mines not going back to VW either haha

Can you give more details on the CP3 differences.
I'm at stage 3.5, CP3 is next, then clutch and then possibly a stage 4 with the bigger turbo option. This one is not going back to VW.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I see the malone stage four cast ss gtb exhaust manifold for sale on fixmyvw. gtb turbos as well. That photo looks like a 2.5 5 cyl. gasser to me.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah, just a pretty backdrop...turbo section looks nice! I'm going to grab one or two of those sweet cast manifolds very soon.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
With a stage II, the DMF was already complaining during low RPM, peak torque moments. I'd hate to see what a stage IV would do to the factory setup. Definitely need an SMF and a heavy duty clutch, perhaps a Southbend unit, if you're going to go that route.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Sorry to steal thread but I have a stock car, it is never going back to VW,
fix or no fix. I am not going to modify it until 120K. At my current millage
and driving distances I will get to 120 in about two years, about the time
the "fix is in" or not in.

At that point if I keep it I will put the better HPFP and will install some
tune. I have DSG.

Anyone care to explain Malone Stage, 1, 2, 3.... and upgraded turbo.
I want to replace the turbo just for reliability. Might as well go with a
better one (suggestions)?

Last edited:

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone care to explain Malone Stage, 1, 2, 3.... and upgraded turbo.
I want to replace the turbo just for reliability. Might as well go with a
better one (suggestions)?
Google is your friend. ;)

https://malonetuning.com/ecu-tuning/audi-volkswagen/tdi/20l-cr-tdi

Most have gone with a CR170 or CR190 (different manifold I believe) turbo on their stage 2+ builds.

Les from DD was selling brand new CR170 turbos last year (before the buyback became common knowledge) for a ridiculous price. I almost jumped on it then but glad I waited.

radoroc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
The stage 4 kit was supposed to be released in the summer of 2015. It was put on hold because of dieselgate.

Rhino1829

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi 4dr m/t
With a stage II, the DMF was already complaining during low RPM, peak torque moments. I'd hate to see what a stage IV would do to the factory setup. Definitely need an SMF and a heavy duty clutch, perhaps a Southbend unit, if you're going to go that route.
Let's just say a gtb2060vklr didn't make the dmf very happy at all. I had to be gentle when I had my setup installed prior to the Southbend smf & clutch.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Let's just say a gtb2060vklr didn't make the dmf very happy at all. I had to be gentle when I had my setup installed prior to the Southbend smf & clutch.
Neato! Do you have any dyno numbers?

Rhino1829

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi 4dr m/t
Not yet. Was waiting on clutch break in and last week had a lsd installed so hopefully in a few weeks or so I'll be looking to get it on a dyno and see what she puts down.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Google is your friend. ;)

https://malonetuning.com/ecu-tuning/audi-volkswagen/tdi/20l-cr-tdi

Most have gone with a CR170 or CR190 (different manifold I believe) turbo on their stage 2+ builds.

Les from DD was selling brand new CR170 turbos last year (before the buyback became common knowledge) for a ridiculous price. I almost jumped on it then but glad I waited.
Thanks, I saw that and wrote Malone, as well as saw Rawtek website. I am thinking keeping it stock, with Malone 0.5 tune ($500). Stage 1 or greater requires DSG tune (another $500), then there is the exhaust modification hardware. On top of that is the CR170 kit.... it is getting real expensive. Parts and tune 3 grand plus labor if I don't DIY it.... I want more efficiency and reliability, not as much power. I do plan on replacing the HPFP with a CP3 and new Turbo when I hit 120K.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The parts /tune for my stage 3 setup were about $2000. cr170 kit-$950, buzzken downpipe/midpipe- $500, Malone tune-$550.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
You can run a stage 2 tune on the stock exhaust, we just make cars with deletes slightly more aggressive.

CR190 isn't really worth it over a CR170, clutch upgrade is definitely recommended for anything past a CR170 and even some customers with stage 3.5 tunes see issues with the DMF. There's some quality control problems with the stock clutches, we see flywheel shudder on stage 2 tunes on a very small percentage of vehicles (maybe 2-3 tops). Best to go to a high end aftermarket unit for any serious performance kits.

fixmyvw does the CR170 kit for 2G and can rent the tool for DSG tuning. DSG tunes really transform the car, bit of a PITA that they're essentially required on pre 2015 CRs though.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
There's some quality control problems with the stock clutches, we see flywheel shudder on stage 2 tunes on a very small percentage of vehicles (maybe 2-3 tops).
I guess I was one of the few. Had DMF shudder at low RPM, peak torque points during the acceleration. Usually only happened when the ambient air temperature dropped and the motor made a few more ponies due to cold, dense air.

stevenzigila

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Anybody with a DSG gone stage 4 with the Malone Turbo? Which turbo and how did you like it? Should I be afraid of reliability issues with going stage 4, or will I absolutely love it?