New to me Sportwagen, need upgrade advice

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan

I was able to snag one of these babies before they disappear from history.

I have a few questions about some DIY upgrades. I'm keeping my old 96' passat greaseburner for a winter car and will drive the sportwagen some but not much in winter...

I'm scheduled for a Malone Tune tomorrow with Kevinski4 tomorrow afternoon. I plan on a DPF delete, EGR delete and welding up my own ss exhaust this winter.

I've been searching around the forum for a procedure on the DPF delete and can't seem to find one. Also, looking for an EGR delete procedure.

Thanks,
Travis

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Salsa Red beauty!!

Congratulations. I do not think anyone has posted step by step, or even generlized procedure for DPF delete, including ECU (VAG-COM) strategies and consequences.

I'll be watching this thread;)

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Fujii13!

That totally stinks you have to remove the axle to get the DPF out! Crap.

Paid exactly Kelly Blue Book of $17,400 with 31,000 miles on it. I'm satisfied, still has a hint of new car smell.

Anyhow, got the Malone DSG and Stage 2 tune done today by Kevinski4. Only have about 30 miles on it so far, but my initial impression is positive. Need to start saving my pennies for the CR170 Turbo. I plan to do the EGR and DPF delete at install time of the CR170 turbo as well as fabricate an exhaust. I think I'll be looking to Kevinski4 for some help with that when the time comes.

Cheers,
Travis

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I would do nothing until you know what VW has to do w a fix, weather you want a fix or not is up to you I would wait until the dust settles.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I would do nothing until you know what VW has to do w a fix, weather you want a fix or not is up to you I would wait until the dust settles.
This!

Stop at the tune and wait and see what vw does with our GEN1 common rail diesels.

I'm currently in the same boat. I just got a tune from KermaTDI. Still on all oem emissions equipment myself. I plan to keep it like that anyway. The big question is how will vw handle these cars for the fix.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Seth, I'm going to save all my stock exhaust/emission parts. I hate to say it, but it is different here than in New Jersey. We don't (for now, knock on wood) have emission testing to get registration. We have piles of good ole' boys rolling coal around here with their big trucks...

At any rate, the above mentioned changes won't happen for a few months at minimum. Likely will be next year.

Thank you all very much for your comments. I am going to do my best to make it to TDI Fest this year, but I have twins due any day now.

Travis

Last edited:

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks very much MADDNESS, this was very helpful. This was a challenging project for me, but I took my time and things have turned out nicely.
[/URL][/IMG]
I had some 12x14 blocks cut to work safely under the car.
[/URL][/IMG]
I found a 2.5" Buzzken turbo back exhaust for sale from a guy turning in his TDI. Got it for a song.
[/URL][/IMG]
Got the CR 170 turbo from fixmyvw.com. It was about $1,000 with the new inlet pipe. Also, found a used Nuespeed compressor outlet in the classifieds.
[/URL][/IMG]
Here's all the crap that came out. That was really the hard part. Turbo and new exhaust went in in a few hours. I ended up unbolting the turbo actuator to get the old one out, and did the same with the new one.
[/URL][/IMG]
New turbo bolted in..
All in all, I probably have about 16 hours into the job, but that is an amerature hobby mechanic taking his time.
The exhaust is a little louder than I hoped, but it is growing on me. After the stage 3 Malone Tune, this car is a whole different animal. I haven't been able to drive it too much yet as it has been pretty snowy.
Thanks again all for your help.
Travis

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Nice work! You lucked out scoring a deal on the buzzken exhaust. Doesn't look like it ever got installed. Now all you need for a million mile machine is a cp3 conversion.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
The exhaust was never installed previously.

Can you tell me more about the CP3? I know that the HPFP are prone to grenade. Would the CP3 provide performance gains with my setup?

McGuirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI
The exhaust was never installed previously.

Can you tell me more about the CP3? I know that the HPFP are prone to grenade. Would the CP3 provide performance gains with my setup?
Cp3 has a small mpg increase, car starts quicker, removes the exploding HPFP trick, and it does a much better job at keeping the car supplied with fuel. Its a 3 piston pump vs a 1 piston cp4. If you contacted malone maybe they could do a custom tune and take into account having a cp3 to increase gains? Would be worth a shot. I mainly did it for the peace of mind. Its also nice that it isnt timed like the cp4. You just wrap the timing belt around the gear and its good to go! Much easier than the cp4 which requires the alignment pins to time it. Cant complain about an easier timing belt job.

Another awesome mod is OEM xenon retrofit with AFS. After having a tech package golf tdi and swapping to a JSW it was a must. I upgraded to a high line CECM and also threw in OEM fogs and a euro switch. Nightime driving is a lot better.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
^^^^ is spot on! I just had CP3 installed and amazing day and night difference on CP3 alone.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
^Exactly. The CP3 R70 pump from 2micron's kit is also used on BMW I6 engines that can make 400 hp with the fueling it provides. It is really a vastly superior design than the cp4 pumps. They very rarely fail, and when they do, they don't trash the whole fuel system.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Although the CP3 pump is a massive improvement reliability/ rail pressure wise, surprisingly it doesn't usually require tune adjustments. The turbo + EGTs are your main restriction, can get away with a slightly more aggressive tune with the stage 3.5 and EGT sensor relocation. At that point an intercooler would be worth looking into.

Clean car! Glad to see another saved from the scrapper.

McGuirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI
S3 intercooler is an easy bolt on upgrade. Fits in the stock position perfect.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
I did have a line on an S3 intercooler from a guy turning in his TDI, but he ended up not wanting to remove it.