High mileage CR - post it up!

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Anything over 300ml is impressive to me. It gives me hope for all you CR drivers :D

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
I think cars like this are driving in ideal conditions for a newer cr...

One would think if the dpf load was registering almost double the max spec in the computer that the dpf light would come on?

tadurkee

Veteran Member
TDI
none (formerly 2010 JSW DSG)
Glad to see an even higher mileage 2010 out there! I'm the "local lady" courier frugality mentioned who replaced the DPF and cat at 283,000 miles. Dealer said ash load was 300ml and max should be 175. Was smelling some exhaust and noticed more frequent regens. They did say the engine was "smoking a bit". Anyway, now I'm at 305,000 miles, no more exhaust smell, way less regens, take-offs are peppier and I'm good for another 200-300,000 miles. (Keeping fingers crossed!) Oh, and the wagen will be paid off in 2 months. :)

Some of the other repairs:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4449961&postcount=69

twopassats-one-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf Wagon TDI Comfortline
This is great story and bodes well for all of us. The engine aside, the leather looks hardly worn at all! I'm hoping the cloth stands up as well over the long haul.

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Wow love those numbers:)

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
I sold my 09 TDI with 150,000 to a friend since then he is over 200k with it and drives the crap out of it, Malone stage 2 everything deleted...

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Glad to see an even higher mileage 2010 out there! I'm the "local lady" courier frugality mentioned who replaced the DPF and cat at 283,000 miles. Dealer said ash load was 300ml and max should be 175. Was smelling some exhaust and noticed more frequent regens. They did say the engine was "smoking a bit". Anyway, now I'm at 305,000 miles, no more exhaust smell, way less regens, take-offs are peppier and I'm good for another 200-300,000 miles. (Keeping fingers crossed!) Oh, and the wagen will be paid off in 2 months. :)

Why would you wait that long to change the DPF did you not monitor ash loads throughout the service history...

gopher

I have a 2005.5 Jetta TDI, DSG transmission, 378,060 original miles. Camshaft and flywheel changed at 343,300 miles. Runs like new at present. Very conservative driving habits, oil/oil filter (505.1 oil only) about every 3500 miles, fuel and air filters every 20,000-25000 miles. Michelin tires last about 150,000 miles, only rear brake pads changed. Alternator bearing changed at 150,000 miles, voltage regulator at 349,000 miles ($80. total to repair). A/C compressor changed once (live in Florida), recently changed two radiator coolant heater hoses. Paint looks new, last tank at 42.9 mpg (mostly highway @ 68 mph).

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several

One more question for you, were you smelling diesel exhaust fumes or the smell of the treated exhaust after it has been through the exhaust system?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Why would you wait that long to change the DPF did you not monitor ash loads throughout the service history...
This may surprise you, but probably 97% of folks just drive their cars. :)

It's only the anal ones who are here on tdiclub.

And it's we anal ones who asked tadurkee, "so how's your DPF doing?" And so she decided to have it checked for the first time. Way past 120k miles.

These DPFs are brand new for all of us. Most people don't realize they should be checked at 120k+. And VW has seen fit to not use make use of the DPF idiot light on the cluster, for some reason. :rolleyes: It's there, but I don't know what triggers it. Not ash load, apparently.

That means, if you drive it, and there are no light on, you're good to go. :)

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I have a 2005.5 Jetta TDI, DSG transmission, 378,060 original miles. Camshaft and flywheel changed at 343,300 miles. Runs like new at present. Very conservative driving habits, oil/oil filter (505.1 oil only) about every 3500 miles, fuel and air filters every 20,000-25000 miles. Michelin tires last about 150,000 miles, only rear brake pads changed. Alternator bearing changed at 150,000 miles, voltage regulator at 349,000 miles ($80. total to repair). A/C compressor changed once (live in Florida), recently changed two radiator coolant heater hoses. Paint looks new, last tank at 42.9 mpg (mostly highway @ 68 mph).
You must have my dream job. :)

Your oil change interval is interesting, and by my calculation, seems to be ~monthly. If anything, you can easily go longer than 10k miles with your driving. I always did 10k intervals on my 2000 Golf, and a friend now has that with 400k miles on it. Due to the detergents in modern oil, you actually have less lubricity with fresh oil, and lubricity improves with miles; to a point, but that's usually beyond 10k miles. It looks like your frequent oil changes aren't hurting anything in the big picture. However, it's probably more of a hassle for no benefit.

tadurkee

Veteran Member
TDI
none (formerly 2010 JSW DSG)
No way to monitor the ash load as I do not own a VCDS and it was never brought up by the repair shop (dealer), as in "Hey, let's do an ash load test on that DPF", even as the miles continued to pile on. Obviously I knew it was something that SHOULD have been checked at 120K, then every 20K after (according to the maintenance schedule), but figured if I wasn't experiencing any obvious issues I wasn't going to overly fret about it.

As far as exhaust fumes, I was smelling them inside the vehicle only occasionally and seemed more like what would be coming out of a tailpipe of a diesel truck. Not overpowering but enough to have dealer check exhaust system which is when they finally did ash load test. Wonder if the guy who owns this 394K wagen with a 369ml ash load smells any exhaust?

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I wonder how much his fuel economy will improve when he gets around to cleaning or changing the DPF.

twopassats-one-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf Wagon TDI Comfortline
Hopefully we will all be this lucky (as long as we do the maintenance)

My mechanic (who is a tried and true VW Mechanic) recommends oil and filter change every 10,000 kms (just over 6,000 miles) even though the manual says every 15,000 kms (10,000 miles). I've read so very many opinions on this subject yet your story bares this out as a good approach to longevity. My 2013 is almost a year old with close to 40,000 kms so far I've had three oil changes since new and everything seems perfect. I have not had a single a warranty claim. Mileage is consistent. It's almost boring that everything is the same every day....but boring in this case is awesome

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
Hopefully we will all be this lucky (as long as we do the maintenance)

My mechanic (who is a tried and true VW Mechanic) recommends oil and filter change every 10,000 kms (just over 6,000 miles) even though the manual says every 15,000 kms (10,000 miles). I've read so very many opinions on this subject yet your story bares this out as a good approach to longevity. My 2013 is almost a year old with close to 40,000 kms so far I've had three oil changes since new and everything seems perfect. I have not had a single a warranty claim. Mileage is consistent. It's almost boring that everything is the same every day....but boring in this case is awesome
Send a 10k mile sample of oil out to Blackstone Labs and they will tell you how long it can be run. They told me it could be pushed to 15k miles with further testing, but I had no interest in doing that. I do feel much better about running my oil that long though.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Another CR in with higher mileage - only 160k on this sedan, but it looks like new inside and out.

Kind of interesting week for high mileage cars. Had a Wolfsburg Passat come in for oil change with 193K miles and looked like new. On the other hand we see plenty come in 40-70K miles that are trashed. Just need to take care of them.

Jason

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
At only 63K miles and 4 years, this thread makes my JSW look like it's not even broken in yet.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
At only 63K miles and 4 years, this thread makes my JSW look like it's not even broken in yet.
You're just broke. :) It takes ~60k to break in a TDI engine. Your engine has just reached max compression, and you should be seeing your best mileage. When we see some reasonable temperatures and get off the winter diesel, anywhoo.

Digilio86

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Graphite 2dr Dsg Golf TDI
^^^Hopefully that is soon. I'm definitely noticing a bump on warms days compared to last summer! Love this car !

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)

What was the cost like to replace the DPF at the dealer?