2009/10 Jetta TDi Reliability

WeatherNerd

TDI
None yet.
I'm looking at buying a Jetta come spring, and I'm curious about the reliability. I had an 2002 SVT Focus, that was an absolute pile of crap to say the least, and I really want to avoid making the same mistake twice. So I'm wondering what issues to look out for, beyond the fuel pump issues that is.

Last edited:

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm new to VW and new to diesels and we have only 10,000 Miles on our '10 JSW, but at this point, we 're very happy with the car. It's great fun to drive, the styling and interior details are excellent and the fuel economy is outstanding.

MarylandJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I'm at 1 year and 14k miles; not a single issue with the car. Drove it from MD to Nevada last summer and it was an amazing road-trip car.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
'09 has had problems with the DSG and there's currently a campaign for some of them.

cuiab533

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Any car can be problematic. For me, three months ownership, 6000 miles and no problems. I have owned Volvo and BMW. The Jetta is a satisfying and comfortable road car.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I can only vouch for my car and, so far, it has been reliable for 35,000 miles, as well as fuel efficient, a great pleasure to drive daily, and an example of quality craftsmanship and engineering, inside and out (including the electrical system). That said, who knows what the future will bring? But I have a gut feeling this car will continue to be a good one (I've had some that weren't). We'll see. . . . . .

Last edited:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
There are NOT a lot of 09/10 Jetta's with 100,000, 150,000, 200,000 miles, etc. So my 09 with 19,000 miles has been completely and utterly flawless.

Now while I am mindful of the higher percentage HPFP issue for these models, + 11, I do not anticipate having/getting it, despite knowing the percentages are WAY higher. What are those MY percentages? Nobody really knows. The people that do know (presumably VW) are not saying a WORD.

On a 03 TDI, 8/9 MY's old now it took about 1 year and/or 25,000 to 50,000 miles to PROJECT (swag) that it was one of the best model years of that generation (Mark IV). Over 50,000 miles and there was virtual agreement that it was a slam dunk. @ 150,000 miles and 8/9 MY's later, I can say it has been completely and utterly flawless, sans abnomal, + plus AND - minus wear issues.

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Well, my '09 has been back to the dealer more times than any other car I've ever owned. I was just back this week again because the heater blower went and the day/night mirror jammed. It took a year AND a VW engineer just to get the radio changed because it had an internal short and the dealer refused to change it, even though it was coding. It's the luck of the draw, so good luck with that.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Given proper care and operation (which is minimal for either @ BEST), it seems that TDI's engine are pretty bullet proof. Even though I really like the TDI motors, I personally would NOT get a VW, if it had gasser motors. In a very real sense, for me the 03/09 TDI's were two separate "betting on the come" bets. So far, they have been flawless. However, msg #9 is probably more common (non diesel related) than not. I am truly enjoying 2 "economy" cars designed to run all day/night on the autobahn. Yes, I have run one, to both all day/ all night on more than several ocassions.

Last edited:

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Even though I really like the TDI motors, I personally would not get a VW if it had gasser motors. In a very real sense for me the 03/09 was "betting on the come". So far it has been flawless, but msg #9 is probably more common (non diesel related) than not. However I am truly enjoying 2 "economy" cars designed to run all day all night on the autobahn. Yes I have run one, to both all day and all night on more than several ocassions.
I also bought my car because it was a turbo diesel, and despite the fact that it was a VW, although I must say the last VW I owned, an '86 Jetta bought new, was a great car -- reliable, fun to drive, and fuel efficient. Buying a TDI was the result of a good deal of research and I went into the deal knowing I was taking a chance on first-year-new-design, although I did NOT know about the HPFP issue back then. I would have a hard time returning to a gas car now, but if I had to choose one there are many more "good" options today than there were 2 years ago when I needed a car.

Last edited:

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Have had my 09 for a year and a half...34K miles and no issues. Great car and fun to drive. I highly recommend as long as you are prepared to use a lubricity additive upon each and every fill-up:)

redstorm

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan, DSG
Our last two new cars were an Acura and a Toyota, both flawless in their first few years. So far the '10 Jetta is keeping up, no problems at all in 7 months, 8000 mi...

moosemaster

TDI
2009 jetta
I have 42,000 on my 09 jetta TDI. I have not had any problems that I have not caused myself.
I "misfueled" last month and caused my own problems. Other than that costly mistake I have not had any problems in the last 23 months that I have had the car. I have the 6 speed manual so I have not experienced any of the automatic transmission problems that are out there.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Your Choices

I'm looking at buying a Jetta come spring, and I'm curious about the reliability.
I had an 2002 SVT Focus, that was an absolute pile of crap to say the least, and I
really want to avoid making the same mistake twice. So I'm wondering what issues
to look out for, beyond the fuel pump issues that is.
:)

Can't blame you being upset about the SVT Focus. I thought they were geat when they
first came out, but found out later that what you say turned out to indeed be fact!
We had a 2000 Kona model with a five speed manual (Was not available North of
the border) and it was one of if not the most reliable car I have ever owned!
And, I've had a few to say the least in the last 60 plus years!

Are you opting for one with a DSG? :confused: You will not be sorry as
there are no longer any problems that I know of in the later vehicles with DSG.
There were some minor concerns with some of the '09s, but there were factory computer changes (updates) available, and generally speaking, those people with '
09s that had those changes done are now happy.

Should you prefer a 6-speed MT, be sure to drive one on the highway as well as in city traffic,
as they are indeed geared rather high, and many here speak of not using
sixth gear at all while in town because it is such a tall gear.

Also, do not opt for seventeen inch or larger wheels, as your tire choices are not
as plentiful, and larger wheels do cost you a little bit of fuel economy.

We did not want a Plano Roof either. Costly, and it is hard to keep the interior cool
in the summer because that factory shade does not keep the heat out.

Do not worry about all that you may read concerning the HPFP problems.
There are a few to be sure, but not many we hear about of up in the Great White North.
Seems that many believe that your fuel is better than what we are getting down South!
Should you buy one, I would say, even though your fuel may be better, it
surely would not hurt to have a good additve on hand before you buy, and add it
to your first tank to help with the lubrication of the HPFP.
There are several good ones available.
We prefer Opti-Lube XPD and add it each and every tank. For only $1.40 to $2.00 per tank
depending on whether you use 1/4 or 1/2 ounce per gallon, it is easy to handle
and 'gives peace of mind' to most all of us who do use it. ;)

At 22K miles since February 20, we could not be happier, and I believe that our JSW will
turn out to be as dependable and even more enjoyable that was our Kona Focus.

HTHs

:D

D

Last edited:

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Congratulations

I have not had any problems that I have not caused myself.
I "misfueled" last month and caused my own problems. Other than that costly mistake, I have not had any problems in the last 23 months that I have had the car. I have the 6 speed manual so I have not experienced any of the automatic transmission problems that are out there.

Most people here would not have the 'cajones' to admit that they "misfueled".:p
After all, we are only but human, and any one of us could make that mistake.

My hats off to you.

You used the words 'costly mistake.' I am sure that you know that some here have
not caught their mistake in time
, and have had to spend upwards of $10K USD.
Viewing the comparison, I'd say that you indeed did the right thing and got
your mistake corrected early enough and properly. Congratulations again!

D

WeatherNerd

TDI
None yet.
Lots of good info. Thanks all, I'm feeling a little better. Anyways, I'm thinking of a JSW (Badged as a Golf here) with DSG. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind shifting my own gears but the DSG is a really interesting concept.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
While my engine is a little different then yours. My 06 has been great, it currently has 94,500 miles, I have not had a single problem with the DSG. In fact I think the DSG is a great design and well suited for a diesel (limited RPM range).

I did have a latch and wiper hose replaced fixed under warranty, and a sensor for the steering (which was bad when I bought it new).

It's also held it's resale value a lot better than my wife's Prius, and a hell of a lot more fun to drive.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
Lots of good info. Thanks all, I'm feeling a little better. Anyways, I'm thinking of a JSW (Badged as a Golf here) with DSG. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind shifting my own gears but the DSG is a really interesting concept.
AS one who has shifted more gears than I'll ever admit too let me say this: The more I drive my '10 TDI with DSG the more I've come to love it. I like the way it will downshift when descending hills holding a speed. It's fun to watch the brake lights on the car in front of you light up all the time while your just cruising down the hill. You also cannot shift as fast as the DSG.....it's in micro seconds.

The only comment I will make is that it takes a day or so to learn how to really drive it. By that you need to remember the DSG is actually a stick with an automatic function. When your on the brake the clutch is not engaged and you can roll backward. And you need to wait a micro second or so when letting off the brake and hitting the pedal or the car will jerk forward. Once you learn that you'll love it.

So unless you feel you need to 'man up' get the DSG..........you won't be sorry.

Dan :)

WeatherNerd

TDI
None yet.
No need to 'man up', I played with a stick for a while, and it was ok. But I'm also a bit of techno-nerd, so I like the idea of having a computer controlled manual.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
No need to 'man up', I played with a stick for a while, and it was ok. But I'm also a bit of techno-nerd, so I like the idea of having a computer controlled manual.
My kind of guy...........go for it...

BTW: Today it was 84 degrees so we drove up into the mountains to up around 5.000 feet.............it was still 70 degrees. How about you?

Stay warm......... :)

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't Rub It In

Come on old man; Don't rub it in. That's not the Christmas spirit don't you know? :p

If you want to be mean, tell him what it is going to be tomorrow. ;)
Probably the hottest spot in the nation!

D

EOTS

TDI
Used to own '09 Jetta TDI 6M
The auxillary fuel pump (the one of the tank) konked out in the middle of rush hour traffic about 5 months ago. I tried desparately to start the engine but after 5 to 6 trys, I knew that this baby ain't gonna turn over for me. So I called towed truck and had it towed to the nearest VW dealer.

The next day, VW dropped in a new pump, replaced a couple of fuses, one relay and the fuel filter. I believe they had also updated the computer software and did a test drive and declared my TDI fit for the road.

The work was covered under warranty (it had better be) and they paid for about $100 of the $153 towing bill.

BTW, the shudder that had occurred occasionally was completely gone after they put in the new fuel pump. I am not sure if the new pump fixed the shudder issue or the new software did the trick!

EOTS

fgbrault

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
[QUOTE ...The only comment I will make is that it takes a day or so to learn how to really drive it. By that you need to remember the DSG is actually a stick with an automatic function. When your on the brake the clutch is not engaged and you can roll backward. And you need to wait a micro second or so when letting off the brake and hitting the pedal or the car will jerk forward. Once you learn that you'll love it.

So unless you feel you need to 'man up' get the DSG..........you won't be sorry.

Dan :)[/QUOTE]

On my 2009 if you stop on a hill and firmly press the brake pedal a hill-holder engages and when you take your foot off the brake pedal you have a few seconds to accelerate before the car will roll back.

WeatherNerd

TDI
None yet.
My kind of guy...........go for it...

BTW: Today it was 84 degrees so we drove up into the mountains to up around 5.000 feet.............it was still 70 degrees. How about you?

Stay warm......... :)
It's not that cold. It's only 32*, and since I'm a fat guy, I have enough insulation. lmao

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
AS one who has shifted more gears than I'll ever admit too let me say this: The more I drive my '10 TDI with DSG the more I've come to love it. I like the way it will downshift when descending hills holding a speed. It's fun to watch the brake lights on the car in front of you light up all the time while your just cruising down the hill. You also cannot shift as fast as the DSG.....it's in micro seconds.

Dan :)
I totally agree. After 33k miles on my JSW, I'm still looking for the clutch pedal just as I come to a complete stop...